Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 20:30:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZSB Rotary switch box-I'm excited! (Read 21139 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

ZSB Rotary switch box-I'm excited!
05/05/13 at 03:57:24

I just ordered one of the new ZSB's with a mono switch, to use with my newly modded ZP3 phono stage.

Steve is going to make me a minimalistic version, with only two inputs/two outputs and a mono switch.

Is anybody else planning on ordering one of the many versions of the ZSB?

It looks to be a very nice, well made unit, that can perform a variety of functions.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: ZSB Rotary switch box-I'm excited!
Reply #1 - 05/05/13 at 05:23:04

Yes.....I am in as well !!  I decided to only add the beeswax capacitor as an upgrade.  The other additions I figure I can always add later if need be.  I am trying to keep the signal path as lean as possible.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/13 at 19:40:44

Anyone else buying, or thinking about buying the new ZSB rotary switch box?

Depending on the options you get, it has many different uses.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/07/13 at 14:19:59

I am considering the switch. I already have three different Zektor switches of varying complexities, and they are outstanding. But the rotary would be a good solid heavy duty backup.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/07/13 at 17:24:00

Two weeks ago I talked to Steve about his new switch box (I'm getting the first one).  The thing that interests me,  is his primary design consideration.  Keeeping the signal path as pure, as clean, as possible.

Whichever of his options you add to the basic unit, will not detract from it's "nothing is in the way" signal path. 

He mentioned that he would wire a box with copper if someone requested it, but silver wire is standard.

Mike

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/07/13 at 17:32:19

Pale Rider....I had been inquiring about the switch box for a while as well.  When I was configuring my ZStage....I originally requested a second set of inputs.  Steve discouraged me....indicating that his new switchbox would be the better choice due to a cleaner signal path.  

Depending on the configuration....it can be a very useful tool.  With me building a new system from scratch....the the switchbox will be perfect for my application as my system grows.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/07/13 at 17:51:03

Dom,  I like your idea of adding the beeswax cap to the switch box.  It's something I still might add to mine.

Mike

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 05/07/13 at 19:18:44

Mike....when I looked hard at configuring the ZSB...I weighed the options heavily.  Knowing I will have to buy a few more sets of good interconnects...that would add into the overall price.

Sonic clarity was my first priority....so the beeswax caps were a no brainer.  The other options weren't as important....esp. since I just ordered the ZStage.

If the cost is negligible for you...I would add it.  Just some food for thought.  

Dom

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/07/13 at 21:34:43

It`s just what I need Mike. I`ll be able to hook up my tuner, cd, plus my other TT, and have a `tape in` to my Nak.
So with 2 inputs on the CSP2+, one can be dedicated to my main TT the other input will be fed from the new ZSB. Perfecto. The extra $100 for the cryo beeswax caps looks vg value for money.
Now, how many new i/c`s................

Oh, wait a tic...the other TT will have to go through the ZP3 so I`ll be using both outs on the ZSB, one for TT`s and one for the other gear.
I`ll have to do it as in the first instance and manually swop the decks i/c`s at the ZP3 to keep a spare `out` for `tape in`.....

time for the sketch pad  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/08/13 at 00:17:42

Dom and Marky, Yes, I'm going to go for the cryoed beeswax caps.  You've got me convinced.

For the sonic benefits of those caps (I have them in my ZSM mono's, and my ZP3 which will be back here Thursday), $100 is no big deal.

A bigger deal is buying extra sets of interconnects.

Mike

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 05/08/13 at 05:03:33

Mike....right now MAC is running a few specials on their interconnects.  I know a few guys on the forum that use them, and feel they are a great bang for the buck (in addition to the Decware cables).

Here is their website......

http://www.myaudiocables.com/

I had ordered 1 set of the Quad+ a few days ago.  Steve is really good to work with and even offered to burn the cable in for me.  Before the special goes away...I am gonna order 2 sets of their UltraSilver+ cables.  

Hope this helps....

Dom

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/08/13 at 05:12:11

Dom,  Many thanks for the information on the MAC cables!  I'm going to call them tommorow, and may try a set.

Mike

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 05/08/13 at 05:23:13

Your welcome.  FYI..he is running an audiogon special, which is $10 bucks cheaper than on his website.....

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/interconnects-mac-ultrasilver-sound-pipes-2013-...

I just emailed him and asked if he would honor the audiogon sale at the cheaper price...and that I would commit to 2 sets of cables.  Hopefully he will offer the discount. Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/08/13 at 14:02:55

MAC offers excellent value in cables. I have found that their cables of similar topology to the DSRs offer similar sonic characteristics.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/08/13 at 15:22:06

I noticed on the MAC cables (which I have no experience with) that he doesn't include Xhadow rca connectors until you reach the 600+ price point.  Decware silver reference cables with Xhadow rca connectors are roughly 350 and I can highly recommend them.  Just another example of how great of a deal all Decware products are.  Curious if anyone has done a side by side comparison with Xhadow connects on both?

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 05/08/13 at 16:36:10

I've had both Decware and MAC cables, though neither with the Xhadow connectors.

They are very similar. . . I found that the Decware were a bit warmer than the Ultrasilver + and ultimately I moved beyond both into using copper cables made by cryoset.com, they were the better fit for my system. I also tried and kept a VooDoo Cable "Evolution" interconnect which uses both copper and silver wire, and I would gladly get more of these if I were to find them at a great price, this is a great cable.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 05/08/13 at 17:47:31

"UPDATE"....I just got a reply back from Steve....he will honor the Audiogon price of $49 bucks for the UltraSilver+.  He also stated that he is running low on silver wire, and will need to place an order soon.  

For now, my system doesn't warrant the several hundred dollar price tag for interconnects, so the MAC and Decware cables will work nicely.  

Dom

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/08/13 at 22:13:31

Dom,  thanks for mentioning MAC's price of $49 for cables.   It is certainly very attractive, but I'm going to hold off on buying any more cables for now.

For those interested in spending $200+ on interconnects, you may wish to check out Grover Huffman's website (www/groverhuffman.com).  I've been using his interconnects and speaker cables for 8-9 years now, and they have gone from being "very good for the money" to "simply amazing for the money".

He's  a one man shop who only has one type of interconnect, speaker cable, power cord.  The terminations of his interconnects were designed by himself, and fabricated just for him.  He uses copper/silver/aluminun ribbons that he hand polishes.  Has a patent on his cable configurations, offers very reasonable prices on later upgrades (he's always upgrading his stuff) and is a pleasure to deal with.

You usually have to wait a few/several weeeks once you place an order, but I feel it's worth it.

Those $49 cables from MAC sound great, but Grover is an option for those who are ok with spending $200 or so.

I'm happy with his stuff.  Highs are smooth, imaging great.  

There is a long thread about him on the Steve Hoffman hardware forum.

Mike

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/08/13 at 22:29:34

I have two sets of Grover's cables. They are in fact excellent, and it is a pleasure to do business with him.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/08/13 at 23:22:32

Pale Rider,  I'm glad you like them.  I'm using his interconnects as well as his speaker cables in both my systems.  His interconnects sounded quite a bit better, once he went to his own design for the  terminations.

Very happy with his speaker cables, also.

Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/08/13 at 23:49:34

From DOM

Quote:
When I was configuring my ZStage....I originally requested a second set of inputs.  Steve discouraged me....indicating that his new switchbox would be the better choice due to a cleaner signal path.  

As I look at this conceptually, I am guessing Steve was concerned about noise. That by adding wire, switch and jacks inside the Zstage, and it with tube, power supply and wires already, this might introduce noise. If not for noise, I don't see how you could have a less involved signal path for adding one set of inputs, the wire being extremely short in a Zstage.

I had mine modded this way, and Steve did change the ground scheme on it too, but I don't think mine is any more noisy than it was before, perhaps less, but I can't say for sure.

The alternative is the switchbox designed for ultimate transparency, but still with its wire, jacks, switch, and optional caps and volume pot, It will have a sound, though undoubtedly a very clean and good one. Also for using the switch with the Zstage requires another IC set with the IC wire, jacks and potential noise, all clearly influencing the sound, knowing we can hear differences between ICs.

This is not to say the Switch is not a great idea. It looks like a very versatile tool and you know it will be as invisible as Steve can make it, so it will not be a system impediment. Especially for folks with a lot of inputs it will be a boon...like Marky.

Actually for me, I have not gotten upset by good ICs. They do influence the sound, but this can be used for tuning the sound of a system as long as the ICs are revealing.

Finally, when it gets this good, these fine details of audio theory become less of a deal I think. If the sound is revealing to begin with, and we add revealing parts to flesh out the system needs, this is part of the game.

I am interested in the caps. Can anyone explain the use of caps in this passive box?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/09/13 at 01:51:05

Thanks Mike I remember you mentioning using those with great results.  I just might have to pick up a pair

JD

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/09/13 at 02:32:00

JD,  I doubt very much that you would be unhappy if you tried out a pair of Grover's latest interconnects (he is always tweaking them).  

Burn-in is minimal (100 hr.+ should take care of it, Your experience may vary) but they sound great right out of the box.

Grover lives and breathes cables (that's all he does), and it shows in his work.  Many people compare them to cables costing ten times as much, if not more.  He puts more effort into them, than virtually anyone else.

He ships a lot of stuff out of the country, and is always busy, but you might be able to get a pair in a few weeks, with the summer audio slowdown approaching.  He does take a few weeks off in the summer to go hiking in the mountains, so check with him before ordering.

Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/09/13 at 03:31:02

Mike,

Thanks for the tip on the Grover cables. Judging from the MAC ultrasilver + cables I have used, I think the Quad+ mentioned by Dom sound pretty interesting....but these Grovers sound like they may take things into the bigtime conceptually, so you and PRs report on how much you like them is a nice thing in considering these.

My Favorite IC now is a VHAdio silver homemade recipe with cotton covered pure silver wire spaced very specifically, and wrapped around a teflon tube for damping and structure, with teflon tape wrapped around the outside of the cotton covered wire before the outer wire protector, and finally Eichman bullets. They sound really not there to me.

Though I need no more ICs, these Grovers are compelling. I have come to like cable rolling for fine system adjustments. I just rolled in my Decware silvers after having them out for a while, and they were perfect to deepen the bass a bit and add overall clarity between the Zstage and my new toy...the DSPeaker Anti-mode room EQ fixer and DAC, though I am not using the DAC.

This is a case where I have 3 sets of ICs in succession, and it made my skin crawl a little to think of it...Tranquility DAC> Zstage> DSPeaker> Torii. But finally, each tool between the wires has its overall benefits and it sounds very good even though the signal chain is uncomfortably long and involved!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/09/13 at 13:01:03

Will wrote:
Quote:
This is a case where I have 3 sets of ICs in succession, and it made my skin crawl a little to think of it

Too funny will! I suspect, if you do try a set, you would love Grover's cables. Once I have my own signal path fully baked in, I will likely order some for the 2-channel analog path.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print