Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 11:00:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Schitt Owners......DSD file format. (Read 14715 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Schitt Owners......DSD file format.
04/29/13 at 18:34:42

For current and future Schitt owners (myself included).

With making an upcoming purchase, I decided to contact the company regarding their Gungnir and upcoming Statement DAC with the handling of the DSD file format.  

I then received a reply back within a half hour (impressive) from Jason Stoddard which stated the following....

"We will have DSD solutions for all of our DACs shortly."

I know there are a bunch of Bifrost owners on this forum and just wanted to pass along that bit of information.  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Schitt Owners......DSD file format.
Reply #1 - 04/30/13 at 02:42:43

Wow, these guy are impressive ... impressive spec'd gear to price ratio and customer service as well.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/13 at 15:14:50

I had good luck with Schiit from both a service and equipment standpoint.  Emails responded to within an hour on a couple occasions.  Fast shipping.  I think the DAC is good for the pricepoint (although I have limited DAC experience).

BTW, I ordered the uber upgrade and should have it in by next weekend.  Funny thing was my eyes were beginning to stray to other DACs and they offered this upgrade.  It will be interesting to see what kind of lift it provides for less than $100.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/09/13 at 21:57:47

Interesting (albiet) short article on the DSD format and what the author thinks it might hold for the future.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/13 at 22:02:54

Article makes it sound like most DAC chips have DSD capability, so maybe its just a firmware update??

On the hardware side consumers can expect a steady stream of DSD-capable DACs coming from a wide variety of manufacturers. Why? Because the DAC chips from almost all the major suppliers of DAC circuits have DSD capabilities built-in to the chips. For the cost of a bit of software coding any consumer or pro DAC manufacturer can include DSD support in their feature sets. Since the cost of inclusion is so low, most DAC makers will choose to add DSD support.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/09/13 at 22:30:01

Quote:
Palomino,
Article makes it sound like most DAC chips have DSD capability

I've read that before too, however I don't know if it's as easy as a firmware update.  I read on PS Audio's site that they are in the midst of adding DSD playback as a feature of their top of the line PWD, but I think they are concerned with the whole playback chain and want to do it right ... so it is taking some time, and even then they are requiring the PWD to be sent back to them in order to implement the changes.

So I think its more a possibility that if the chips do have the capability then the manufacturers of the DACs need to do some tweaking that can't readily be done through software alone ... however I'm just speculating at this point.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/10/13 at 18:34:58

Just as a followup to my earlier post, I did the uber upgrade and it yielded a nice lift in detail.  For $80 including shipping, its a worthy upgrade.

I think I am satisfied with my DAC for now, but it pointed out this may be my current weakest link.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/13 at 19:17:55

I did the uber and usb upgrades as well (thanks to who it was that mentioned them first here and alerted me).  

I concur.   I'm liking the sound.  clearer mids and highs.  it's a better dac now.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/10/13 at 19:40:04

I do not have the USB option.  Reaction to that over on head-fi has not been as good as the reaction to the output board.  Some saying its a bit thin sounding.

Does it sound good to you?  I find it hard to believe that Schiit would put out a bad sounding board.

Also, forum member AiDee does great DAC reviews.  He was also the member who alerted us to the upgrade.  He did the uber upgrade and I hope he has time to do a review/comparison for the Bifrost uber.   He has 3-4 sub $1,000 DACs to compare it to.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/10/13 at 20:01:16

Ah yes, AiDee.  Thanks AiDee.  I see his name over on head-fi too.  I signed up as buddha22 over there just to tell people how I got my stupid LEDs back into their holes on reassembly.

The usb board looks identical to the one I took out, except, there's now a jumper wire soldered across two (very tiny) pins of the main chip that's surface mounted to the board.  (how a human can solder so carefully is beyond me).  And there's one tiny Cap that's a different size, unsure if different value.    

I didn't compare individually. I put both in at the same time.  The net difference is clearer mids and highs. more detail.  

Personally, I think the USB card is just for adding the handling of a different format/bit rate.  It's all in the digital domain before the DAC and before the analog output amp (where I think all the sound improvement came from).    I wouldn't guess the usb card has anything to do with the sound change.  but I didn't try to isolate that.  For not much $, I'm happy with a better "bang for the buck" dac.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print