Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 11:15:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii ver II comparisons to MT ver I/SE84CKC (Read 7333 times)
markv

Mini Torii ver II comparisons to MT ver I/SE84CKC
04/05/13 at 04:09:10

Has anyone received their new Mini Torii version II yet?  If so, any comments or opinions?  Comparisons to MT version I?  Comparisons to SE84CKC - if anyone is lucky enough to have both.

IP Logged
JazztoGo

Re: Mini Torii ver II comparisons to MT ver I/SE84CKC
Reply #1 - 04/06/13 at 03:59:34

Hey there,

Well I had a version I of MT and had the feedback and caps upgrade done.  Most of my thoughts are from the MT vI from memory but I remember when i got the MT upgrade version and I plugged it in I felt the music just got clearer.  and I have had it now for awhile breaking in and I just absolutley love the detail and imaging that comes from the MT and my trap speakers.  I am very happy to do the upgrade and the feedback switch is very nice even if I just use two clicks at most, feels like the mucis comes more alive. Anyway thats just my thoughts Smiley Grin

IP Logged
markv

Reply #2 - 04/06/13 at 18:30:03

Thanks for your response JazztoGo! Looking for more answers on the MT II - hopefully you or other Decware forum members can answer my questions below:

Question, do you still use the treble control with the new Adjustable Feedback controls? If so, how does that affect the overall sound character?

Also, not sure if you can answer this one, but with the new MT II, the middle knob that used to be located in the front (treble control) is now positioned behind the two volume controls.  The old treble defeat switch is no longer there.  I'm assuming with the MT II you no longer can defeat the treble control?  

Finally, on the new MT II, what are the two switches located just outside of the two volume control - input selectors?  I've always wondered how to select the inputs on any MT.

Thanks

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #3 - 04/06/13 at 19:49:19

Hi Markv,

I also had my MT upgraded with the feedback switches and the jupiter caps. First of all, the switches on the front are indeed the input selectors.

The treble cut knob is very nicely implemented with this amp....it's a smooth transition from a nice subtle attenuating of high frequencies to a more obvious treble attenuation. In any position it's in, the music is still enjoyable I find. You realize this most when you've forgotten to take the treble cut knob out of the circuit (with the switch) for a period of time, as you've enjoyed music....and then you go "Oh snap, I haven't switched the knob back" and Boom, you get back some more of the highs that you didn't even realize you were missing out on because the music was still sounding great...

I use the knob quite a bit if I'm feeling particularly sensitive to high frequencies or I'm listening to certain youtube clips/online media. It's a very useful tool I think.  I haven't really used the feedback switches with the treble cut knob, but I can imagine some instances where one might want to.

I played with the feedback switches for a while once I got the amp and recently noticed that I don't use them very much anymore. I tinker with them a little when I'm listening to certain vinyl records I have because it helps flesh them out a bit since I don't have a Step Up transformer with my modified Denon DL 103 cartridge yet (particularly use the feedback switches with my rock records sometimes). The dynamics seem to increase when engaging the feedback knobs...highs and lows get more pronounced as you turn the knob counter clockwise. But I notice listening fatigue setting in sooner when I use the knobs for most of the CD's I have....and that's what I've been listening to the most lately so I just have both knobs at 12 o'clock. When I DO use the knobs I don't tend to use more than 2 clicks counter-clockwise. Steve provided a sheet with some advisement's on how to use the feedback knobs and he says that highs get more pronounced the more you engage the feedback knobs and that this could seem fun at first, but can get tiring on your ears pretty soon. I concur...

As per your question about the treble cut knob being moved back etc....I can't really speak to that I don't think. My MT II has a headphone jack so the treble knob has always been behind the 2 volume controls. On my amp the switch for the treble knob is located b/t the OA3 tube regulators...which don't get hot so there is no concern of getting your finger burned as you reach for the switch.  

Hope this helps. Enjoy your weekend Smiley

IP Logged
markv

Reply #4 - 04/11/13 at 02:08:45

Thanks for the feedback HPDJ.  Sounds like your enjoying the MT upgrade.  So what's your opinion on the new Jupiter Beeswax Caps?  Have you noticed much of a difference or do you think they are still breaking in yet?

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #5 - 04/11/13 at 04:44:31

markv,

I feel like the beeswax caps should be mostly broken in for me by now...I'm not really sure how many hours I have on them, but I've had the revised amp since January I think and I use the amps at least 5 days a week for about 2-3 hrs a day so yeah....

Audio memory is not very concrete as you probably know, so it's hard for me to say something definitive about the differences with the caps...but I think things are generally sounding a little fuller and detailed than the previous version...there is something about the sound of my system as a whole that is more inviting to me. The caps could be playing a part in that...I've had more listening sessions that have lead from one song to the next in an excited "this-sounds-so-nice-I-wanna-hear-how-THIS-song-sounds-with-the-system, kind of way if you follow me. More so than I remember feeling with the previous version....but I've changed a couple other things with my system since receiving it so, again, it's hard to say definitively.  :-/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print