Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 14:02:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Here, New Torii MKIII (Read 347 times)
subagent
Verified Member

New Here, New Torii MKIII
03/31/13 at 16:11:27

Greetings,

I've actually been lurking here, on and off, for a couple of years.  I've been running an Audio Space Ref 3.1 300B, with Zu Soul Superflys.  The A-S is a fine amplifier, but incredibly big and heavy, as well as being not especially cost-effective to re-tube.  Getting the sound that I wanted from the A-S involved trying several 6SN7 variants and taking a leap of faith on a quad of 300Bs.  I really wanted something that I could roll without spending megabucks on tubes.  And I wanted something that would match nicely with my Zu's.  Plus, having had the great pleasure of dealing with the folks at Zu, I thought it might be cool to have an amplifier built a little closer to home, by people I might contact with questions and so forth.  So, for financial, aesthetic and philosophical reasons, I set about looking for something new.

Fast forward to last Tuesday, when I received notice that my Torii had been shipped from Decware.  Yay!  I couldn't be at home to sign for it, so I had it held at the UPS Customer Center just down the road in Alexandria, VA.  I drove over on Friday night, bringing my wife along for moral support, and to call the paramedics if I herniated myself getting it in the car.  As I was eyeing the various wobbly wheeled hand trucks and carts in the Customer Center, wondering which would be best to get the box to the car (and really worrying about getting it from the car to the music room at home) the UPS agent strolled out from the back room pulling a wheeled Pelican case, addressed to me.  Oh yes! Brilliant!  Thank you Decware.

I got it up running without incident.  Having verified that all was well, and being an inveterate tube roller, I decided to go with some new and NOS tubes that I have on hand for the break-in period.  Always a quandry, what to start off with, as I don't typically make any changes during the first 100 hours or so (barring bad tubes or plain awful sound).  Tesla 6922s, Phillips 5R4GYS rectifiers, and (this part is a little embarrassing after my rant about expensive tubes) a quad of the new Psvane TII 6CA7s, purchased in anticipation of receiving my Torii.

Thus far the sound, from TT, DAC and CDP, is very impressive.  Particularly nice is low volume (a regrettable necessity on occasion), and no-sound sound (i.e. "blackness").  At the moment, it does not offer the same airiness as the A-S, but then there are knobs yet to be twiddled, as well as the fact that it has not had the opportunity to really bloom.  I'm expecting changes over the next 100 hours or so, and can honestly report improvement over the last 10 hours.

That's it for now.  I'll keep you apprised of developments.  Thanks to the folks on the forum for sharing your experiences-- they helped me make the choice that I did!

-Chris

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: New Here, New Torii MKIII
Reply #1 - 03/31/13 at 17:15:33

Nice story Chris. Thanks.

I would start Twiddling with the knobs! They are powerful tuning tools for refining the sound altogether, but with the green power tubes and amp, these things could be really helpful as things open up. It is good to play with them anyway to get used to their influence. I find the two knobs are interactive too...for example, if you set the bass knobs for the tightness or fullness you prefer, then turn up the treble to its high limit and back it off a touch, this can be a fun NEW start point for refinement. A touch more treble for more air...or to warm/open that sound a bit, increase the bass a touch...

I tend to leave my switches on the low key settings making tubes, cables, vibration control and the rest more subtle in their expression...and more fine-tunable. But I have a live room, and pushing the impedance can be seductive for its tightening and push, but I always find it too much here in my room and system. May be the opposite for you.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/31/13 at 17:17:40

Chris! Welcome! Congrats on receiving your new Torii. You CAN expect improvement over the next 100 hours. And the following 100 hours. I've had mine for years now and I think it is STILL improving. And  you will find the right tube, cables, etc. to make it sound great over time.

I think you made a brave and right choice and keep us posted!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 21:35:33

Thanks Will & Lon.  

One reason I'm not messing with the bass and treble just yet, is that the amp is rather inconveniently located on the bottom shelf of my rack.  Plenty of air for cooling down there, but miserable access.  I need to get the A-S off the amp stand, and do something with it.  Not sure what.  Maybe trade in towards a new TT, or some other goodie.

Chris

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/13 at 22:19:23

Welcome to the forums, a lot of people are pairing Decware with Zu Audio and getting good results.

I would take Lon's advice and wait for it to "burn-in" before any tube rolling commenced so you have a feel of the sound of it straight from the factory.

Cheers Smiley

p.s. if you have time post some pics in the Member's Systems Picture Gallery  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print