Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 20:20:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rega RP6 vs. VPI Traveler (Read 10741 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Rega RP6 vs. VPI Traveler
03/30/13 at 02:06:23

Hi guys, I was getting ready to purchase a VPI Traveler TT and they have changed the model up.  Now there is a newer version and from what I hear V2 has been downgraded somewhat.  I read that it was because it was only a hair difference between the Traveler and Scout in both build and sound so they demoted it slightly to let the Scout pull ahead for its price category.

Anyways, I was set to buy one (V1 Traveler), but  now I can't find the V1 and I heard that the Rega RP6 may slightly pull in front of the Traveler V2 now that the changes have been implemented.

Anyways. anybody have any experience with the Rega RP6 (or Rega tables in general) as I hear it is quite the design and a really good bang for the buck.  What's making it even more enticing for me is that I can get an RP6 (brand new) with an Exact cartridge for $1300.  SO it is really appealing to me as I want to buy one this weekend.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Rega RP6 vs. VPI Traveler
Reply #1 - 03/30/13 at 12:44:15

I bought an RP3 last year with the Elys2 cartridge and the TT-PSU. Amazing table. Very "PRAT"--music swings on this table.

I had been using a B&O table in my second system that had problems. . . and saw a helluva deal on another RP3, this one with an Exact2 and a "white belt" (no TT-PSU) so I surrendered and purchased that. I put it in the main system with the TT-PSU, and the first table into the second.

Both are great tables. The "white belt" DOES improve speed and stability (even though I didn't feel it needed to be improved) and the Exact2 is a bit more resolving (and a bit less forgiving) than the Elys2. I'm very happy with both tables, easy to set up and use, great sounding. The captive Rega cables are quite good and both tables have been pretty hum-free.

All my other turntable experience was mostly in the previous century, and I haven't heard VPI tables and can't make a comparison. But I can say that I've never regretted buying either of my RP3s.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/13 at 23:26:08

Thanks for the weigh-in Lon.  I purchased the RP6 and should be here in about 5-7 days.

Quote:
Lon,
The captive Rega cables are quite good and both tables have been pretty hum-free.

That's good to know as well ... I hear that the cable includes a ground within it and it's nice that a good quality one comes with the table in this day and age.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/31/13 at 00:43:48

Congrats on the purchase! I think you're going to love it.

I was very surprised by the quality of the sound from the Rega cables, and yes, there is a ground incorporated and it's pretty noise free.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print