Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZEN TORI MONOS (Read 4094 times)
MStep
Verified Member

ZEN TORI MONOS
03/26/13 at 03:25:43

2 Questions about the Monoblocks:

1)  Looks like from the power supply cap specs (4400UF) that the power supply energy storage is about 550 joules per amp, or am I figuring that wrong?  Pretty beefy for a 60 watt machine.

2)  Is there enough gain to run a 2V CD player direct without a preamp, to rated output?

THX

Mark

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZEN TORI MONOS
Reply #1 - 03/27/13 at 23:58:37

Hi MStep,

Yes, it's actually two 4400uf 500v caps in series, so 1000volts at 2200uf = 1100 joules per amp.

edit: Yup, another brain dead moment... it IS two 2200uf 500volt caps so 550 joules it is!  

Remember the commercial on TV "Where's the beef?"

Yes, two volts brings the full 60 watts.  Using a preamp in front of it would be more of a voicing/dynamics thing.  For example, using a CSP2 or zen ULTRA preamp or something of similar quality, will add some love to the signature which I find advantageous with many DAC's.  Actually true with many of the lower gain phono stages as well...  It all boils down to the source itself, be it a DAC or phono stage, as to if a preamp is helping or just getting in the way.

I've tried the amps under a variety of conditions and wouldn't have a problem recommending someone just run them straight up, unless their source was an iPod of course...  

The power supply is indeed wicked, with no choke or resistors required it's sort of a direct drive high current supply which is unusual since typically one or the other is required to reduce ripple.  Another nice advantage is that when cold started the large caps take around 3 seconds or so to fully charge giving a wonderfully smooth soft start ramp to the high voltages.

I find the amps have a unique sound with these caps vs. smaller caps and a choke which I have also tried.  In a word it could be called "TORQUE".  They remind me of my 402 big block... smooth and seemingly bottomless nuts with the ability to strike like a rattle snake with literally explosive throttle response.  It's the kind of thing you can cruse in all day long and if you want to make someone wet their pants you can do that to.

-Steve Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
MStep
Verified Member

Re: ZEN TORI MONOS
Reply #2 - 03/28/13 at 05:24:32

Thx Steve.  Wonderful amps!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print