Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 21:04:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone tried these? (Read 4401 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Has anyone tried these?
03/24/13 at 03:57:21

Mapleshade Tube Dampers?
They look freaky enough for me!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Has anyone tried these?
Reply #1 - 03/25/13 at 02:36:29

Love the look, but they look like a pain to deal with. I checked the summary page at Herbie's [remember, of course, they are competitors] and found this:

Quote:
Tube Anchors/Brass Rings: Though awkward to work with, Tube Anchors by MapleShade are excellent sonically, the only dampers we have tested that play in the same league as our damping instruments. Massive brass clamped around a tube, however, deprives the glass bulb of air ventilation needed for cooling. Our tests with brass Tube Anchors resulted in fairly cool-running input/driver tubes running an average of 33.8º F hotter than without Anchors. Other manufacturers make brass or copper sleeves and deceptively imply that they are tube "coolers." They are not.

33.8 degrees hotter sounds like a lot to me.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/13 at 02:42:28

Meant to add this. Mapleshade calls these Tube Crowns, the successor to the Tube Anchors the Herbie's page discusses. Not cheap, but then nothing much is in this hobby. One advantage I see is that they are adjustable for different size tubes, perhaps making them a little more adaptable than Herbie's. But maybe I am just lazy, cuz the idea of grounding each of my tubes sounds like a royal PITA.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/25/13 at 03:39:06

I've used the Mapleshade before, the previous Anchors. I never heard a bit of difference with the grounding strap or without. They do work, very well, but they're problematic with some tube sizes and they don't "cool" tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print