05/05/24 at 20:43:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk3 Questions (Read 3229 times)
RJR
Seasoned Member

Torii Mk3 Questions
03/23/13 at 18:03:18

I will be talking to Steve but I still want to get some feedback on this forum, too.  This seems a bit strange, but I am not an engineer nor really experienced with tube amps, and maybe because of the tube amp design, it is.  Have any of you experienced any of this with this amp or any others?  Apparently it is OK.

1) When I had my music source plugged into input A, the source switch in the front was actually on B.  I could hear music through the speakers.  It was not loud but it definitely was audible and could get louder when you raised the volume.  It would seem that the music should not bleed over from A to B.

2) When the bias switch is towards the back and I toggle it towards the front, a loud pop comes out of the speakers.

3) When I touch any part of the amp and there is static electricity, the speakers make a "popping" sound.

4) Touch a tube and the sound of me tapping the tube resonates out of the speakers. I know what your thinking, but this was by accident.

Look forward to hearing from you.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Mk3 Questions
Reply #1 - 03/23/13 at 20:12:21

Long shot.
I would  check the mains plug, although you`re probaly using a purpose built lead. Live and neutral should Not be reversed.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/23/13 at 20:49:53

Talking with Steve about amp issues is always a good idea when you can't get the answers here.

With my Torii, I get some low level bleed from the input switch also. Shows up for me when the amp is switched to the DVD input, cranked up to compensate for my low output DVD, and when we inadvertently leave on the computer player (the other MkIII input). I just turn off the music and enjoy the DVD sound.

I don't get a pop when changing the bias and don't think you should.

I don't think I get static pops, but I very rarely have enough static in this house to get a static shock. Can't remember the last time.

I did accidentally bump an input tube the other day and got a little thump in that channel's speaker. Tried it on the other side and ditto.

These very simple amps seem pretty "alive."

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/23/13 at 20:53:22

I have bleed over from one input position to the other. I have learned here recently that the 6N1P tubes that I use supposedly rob the amp of potential power (I've never felt I lost any or needed more) and the sound bleeding in from the other input isn't really loud, only barely noticeable at my listening levels. I often leave material playing on one input while using another, I don't feel it is intrusive even when there is nothing playing on the selected input. With other input tubes there may be more overall volume and thus this bleed-through may seem louder.

I don't get popping sounds when I change the bias or when there is static electricity.

The sound when tapping a tube. . . those tubes may be "microphonic." I use Herbie's Audio Lab tube dampers and I don't notice this.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/13 at 03:18:49

I had one bad power tube and it causes the bias switch to pop like that. No other indication of a problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print