Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 20:50:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dumb ? about SPDIF v USB (Read 4535 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Dumb ? about SPDIF v USB
03/20/13 at 03:40:11

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question, but ...

If I have an older DAC that is NOT "Asynchronous", but it does have both SPDIF and USB inputs ... and my PC also has both USB and SPDIF Outputs ...

Would there be any reason to use a USB to SPDIF converter such as the Audiophellia 1 (or 2), or even an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp, etc. versus just using SPDIF to SPDIF?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Dumb ? about SPDIF v USB
Reply #1 - 03/20/13 at 13:40:55

Hey beowulf, not a dumb question at all; if you love the SQ of that DAC, one possible way to improve its performance is with something like the Audiophileo, or a Halide Bridge or other "async-USB-in-a-box" device. Depending on your DAC, and your computer/software combo's ability to deliver bit-perfect [pretty sure you use foobar, right?], then the $ for an async USB device could be worthwhile. They were for me. Of course, those things aren't cheap in their own right, and it may be worth it to spring for a new DAC, depending on your old one and your budget. But to answer your question, I think yes, you need to do something about the fact that right now, your computer is the clock controller for your DAC.

Our forum member who has the Empirical Audio Off Ramp, makes a very good argument for splitting out those functions, so you can keep pace with the techno arms race component by component. I think there is a lot to be said for that. If I was in your spot right now, as I was a couple of years ago, I would look hard at the Off Ramp or the Audiophileo. The flip side of that, is that really good async DACs are available for about the same price. The Mytek 192 for example, is not only async, but also plays DSD, has a headphone amp, is going for $1695. Teac has an async DSD DAC that goes for less than a grand, and has been very well reviewed.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/20/13 at 22:42:48

Thanks PR, I have a Rega DAC ... it's not really that "old", but I bought it before I really understood what was better in the DAC world and although it has some really good reviews and the sound is decent, it has some important shortcomings.

(1) The first thing is that Rega does not think USB is the best way to get music from its source (not a high tier effort) and although the design is fairly new they failed to do asynchronous and went another route which they've been trying to say is "somewhat" the same path as asynch ...

Quote:
Rega
incorporates a PLL based clock for low jitter audio signal recovery. This recovered audio data is then passed through the WM8805 PLL based receiver, so It can be said the USB audio data has been re-clocked and cleaned-up by the WM8805 receiver.

(2) The second thing is that it can only do high res 24/192 playback in native resolution via TOSLINK and Coax.

I am running JRiver 18 in a Window Vista 64 OS ... and currently hooked up to my receiver via USB.

So, if I can only get Hi-Res files via TOSLINK and/or Coax with this particular DAC I am trying to think what the best performance would be for this DAC because I like the sound, but it seems like it could be better as per the specs hi-res via USB ain't going to happen with the Rega DAC.

I may decide just to move on and I like the TEAC that you showed me and the price is pretty good,.  However if I deceidced to keep the Rega, what are your thoughts on getting the best performance as I have collected a lot of hi-res files at this point?

Rega DAC brochure

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/13 at 23:13:17

beowulf, if you decide to keep the Rega, I would look at one of the three USB/SPDIF async converters/reclockers I mentioned above: the Halide Bridge, the Audiophileo, or the EA Off Ramp. See if you can get one or more to try out; I think you will be impressed at the difference clock improvement gives you. But in these price ranges...........you have a lot of choices that would give you a newer DAC, with likely improved analog electronics as well.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/13 at 03:10:13

Quote:
PR
I think you will be impressed at the difference clock improvement gives you.

Ok 先生, something just clicked for me here   Smiley

I was under the impression that SPDIF to SPDIF would be better for hi-res files, however the PC is the one doing the clocking when using that method.  Then I thought I was S.O.L. because my DAC can't do hi-res files via USB ... What I failed to pick up on is that a USB to SPDIF reclocker is not dependent on the DAC's USB port ... but if the reclocker itself can do hi-res via USB then it will send the hi-res file nicely cleaned up to the SDIF input on the DAC and bypass the USB port on the DAC altogether.

Am I understanding this correctly? Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print