Send Topic Print
MC SUT (Read 9349 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

MC SUT
03/03/13 at 23:40:46

What kind of moving coil step up transformers are you using? I have a Monster Alpha Genesis that was re-tipped by Soundsmith using the Ruby cantilever and sounds great. But, there isn't enough gain into my ARC SP-11. Cartridge output is .2mV Load Impedance > 100 ohms and output impedance is 4 ohms. I plan on getting a ZP3 after a Torii mkIII to replace the ARC and would order the mc tranny from Decware but I'm not there yet. Anything good you could recommend in the 600.00 and below category? Bob's Devices seem good but 1195.00 is too much. What is everyone using? Suggestions? Thanks

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DougK
Seasoned Member

Re: MC SUT
Reply #1 - 03/04/13 at 12:59:21

I bought a ZP3 in April 2011, and later sold it.  At the time I bought the ZP3 I also bought the ZMC1 step up transformer.  The person I sold the ZP3 to did not need the SUT, so I still have it.

As I later bought a different phono stage and don't need the ZMC1, I still have it and would be happy to sell it to someone if interested.  I'd ask $350 for it.

Let me know if it's something you'd be interested in.  
Doug

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #2 - 03/04/13 at 20:11:45

PM sent

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 03/05/13 at 01:59:18

Doug K- I send a PM, but if you have the ZMC1 still I am interested. Thanks, Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 03/09/13 at 14:58:30

Well, I have a ZMC1 coming and am looking forward to checking out how it impacts my cartridge. I will post my impressions when I get it. Thanks for the input. Chris

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 03/23/13 at 16:13:38

I received the ZMC1 from DougK last Monday (an honorable gentleman to do business with) and installed it and right out of the gate to whole system took a large leap for the better. I need to play with the grounding today because I think I can get it a little quieter, but WOW. The overall tonality is better, definition of top end air (reverb tails / hall sound) has so much more presence and the ability to hear the separation on mid bass and lower is fantastic. Everything seems faster and more detailed, but not etched and fatiguing. I feel like this is the first time I have actually heard this Soundsmith re-tipped cartridge the way it sound be (duh, of course it is). If anyone can comment on what the knob is actually changing on SUT I would love to get some info. As of now I just set it at 3:00 pm, and I'll play with it later. Thank you Steve of making this SUT available and DougK for not using it and having it for sale. Love these products and this community of hobbyists.  

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #6 - 03/25/13 at 00:43:16

The little bit of noise seems to have settled down and I just spend a few hours listening while Mrs. HDrider was swimming. I tell you, I feel like such a dork waiting SO long to get the proper SUT for my cartridge. Enjoyed some Ray Brown, Supertramp, Mary Black, Yes, Frank, the first David Grisman Quintet, UK, and finally my own band from long ago. The SUT allows the music to breath. The device has added great joy. Keep spinning them records.

IP Logged
Jhors2
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/13 at 23:27:08

This is good to read, I ordered a ZMC3 with my ZP3 and after doing some reading a lot of people don't like SUTs for some reason....Although you know how that goes Wink  Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

PrimaLuna Premium Integrated | Definitive Technology Mythos ST Supertower | Oppo BDP-105 | Zu Mission Throughout (IC, Mains, Etc) | Blue Circle PLC FX2 | Decware ZP3 (On Order)
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 04/21/13 at 14:52:02

I cannot imagine why someone would not like the addition of a SUT unless they are actually hearing their cartridge for the first time and realize it's not a very good cartridge or not set up correctly. Like I stated previously, it just seems to allow the whole record/cartridge to breathe. There is a sense of ease and relaxation in the presentation. It is also much easier for me to hear how a recording may be over processed. But good recordings just breathe and the rest of them just sound better. Now I need to replace my ARC SP-11 with a Decware pre and phono stage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print