03/28/24 at 13:48:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii monos (Read 5533 times)
TheCoffsKid
Verified Member

Torii monos
02/12/13 at 21:16:06

First impressions were that the sound was beautiful but a little under-done in the slam department; i’m coming from 500watt “D” class amps, so to be expected.

As i turn up the preamp a little bit more each time i listen, more is being revealed and more slam.

My pre-amp puts out 8 volts max and i am currently running it at just under 6 volts.

Every time i get some new hifi equipment i am amazed at the new things i hear; same with your amps.

I’ve played some cd’s over a hundred times and you would think there was nothing more to reveal, but there is.

I checked with wilson audio and they suggest based on ARC advice that 8ohms would be the best speaker terminal, so that is what i am using at the moment.

More to follow when i hab=ve something new to add Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Torii monos
Reply #1 - 02/14/13 at 03:50:32

We appreciate the feedback and look forward to your additional observations as things develop.  It would be good to know the supporting electronics (preamp) and speakers being used.  Speaker wire also, as that can sometimes be synergistic with one amp/speaker combo and then not so much on another...  

I can support your observations regarding the preamp, as these amps respond favorably to gain. Slamb can be proportional to preamp voltage vs. source voltage and where you have the input gain set on the monos.   On my vinyl setup, I'm probably up to 15 volts at the output of the preamp to develop the hit I' m after.  The vinyl is a bit lower output than my DAC so when using the amps with digital I find the preamp set to around 6 volts to be ideal, and then I adjust the gain on the mono's between half way up and full, depending on how fat I want things to sound.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
TheCoffsKid
Verified Member

Re: Torii monos
Reply #2 - 02/14/13 at 08:26:18

steve,

sysyem is below

Wilson Audio Sophia series 2
Rega P7 + Alpheta + Power supply
Rega los Phono Amp
Deware TORII Monos