Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: SE34I.3 (Read 19390 times)
JeffS
Verified Member

FS: SE34I.3
02/12/13 at 16:57:07

For sale is one SE34I.3
Original owner.  Ordered 8-12-12 and received about 3 months later.  It is configuration 2 with a single pair of inputs and a single volume control.  Walnut base, gold volume knob, and optional set of high gain 6N2P input tubes.  Comes with all stock tubes including the two pairs of input tubes.  Cost was $1387 plus shipping.

Works perfectly and is in as new condition.  I need more power in my room and would like to try a Torii.  For almost all listening it is enough power.  Only occasionally would like more.  My original plan was to buy it in a returnable configuration and if the sound was good, keep it and return for stepped attenuator and Jupiter cap upgrades.  It definitely sounds good.

$1100 OBO plus pay pal and shipping.  Local sales preferred but shipping is no problem, I have original box in great condition and all interior packing.  I'm located in the Seattle/Tacoma area.  Auditions welcome for locals!

I have pictures that I can send if interested, they are too high rez to post here.

Check my feedback on Audiogon under user name jeff_ss

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: FS: SE34I.3
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 17:49:01

I would have taken you up on it a month or two ago.  Now my amp with the same config is packed and ready to ship.

Good luck.  I am sure you'll sell it. They tend to go fast.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/12/13 at 17:59:40

Thanks for the encouraging words.  It is an amazing amp.  I hear all the inner detail and nuance other much more expensive amps provided.  I was so pleased I also sold the high cost preamp I had and now use a CSP2+ with no regrets or looking back.  Decware has saved me a great deal of money.

IP Logged
DougK
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/12/13 at 20:27:04

I'm interested, PM sent.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/14/13 at 16:00:36

Hi Jeff,
I'm thinking of buying this amp as well.  I have a csp2 w/ 2 sets of outputs, 1 set to amp, other set to a powered subwoofer. If you don't mind, what is the size of your room and also speaker spec's,, ie 8ohm  92db  (like mine). Just curious as I mostly do Jazz but also Rock and am wondering how loud this Amp would get in my 11' X13' room.  Torii 3 is too much $ for me now.

Thanks,
Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/14/13 at 16:26:47

Greg, the amp will go plenty loud in your room, I had the Integrated before this one and in a similar room and with your speakers you should get all you need out of that amp. . . not sure a sub will be needed especially for jazz material.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/14/13 at 16:32:46

Thanks Lon,  yeah the sub is needed as my stereo does double duty for movies too. I loves the explosions

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/14/13 at 16:42:02

Cool. I get plenty of explosiveness out of my ERRs and HR-1s, so I'm happy without one. (My stereo does double duty too as a tv/blu-ray system.)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/14/13 at 17:03:25

Hi Greg,

My room is basically 19 x 15 with an 8 foot ceiling.  My speakers are 92dB with a 16 ohm impedance, never dropping below 10 ohm per the specs.  They are Coincident Super Eclipse III.  And I listen to jazz almost exclusively!

Jeff

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 02/14/13 at 17:21:51

Nice to have so many jazz guys about! Wink

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/14/13 at 17:24:45

So is there any benefit sound wise to use my csp2 as a preamp w/ this set up.  also, how does that work in terms of volume control since my csp and this  integrated amp both have vol controls?  I like the idea of still using my csp w/ it as the csp has 2 inputs.
Greg

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 02/14/13 at 17:33:19

Greg-
I believe there is a benefit sound wise to using the csp2 with the amp.  I found the sound to be more organic.  There is a benefit to having two volume controls, Steve originally explained this to me and I have since seen it talked about on these forums.  Certain recordings sound better with the amp vol up all or most of the way.  Others with less gain on the amp and more on the preamp.  I listen to vinyl as well as a digital source, and I notice this mostly with certain LP recordings.
-Jeff

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/14/13 at 17:34:44

Do you get more volume out of the pre/integrated setup?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/14/13 at 17:34:49

Lon-
Yes glad to be amongst jazz lovers.
-Jeff

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 02/14/13 at 17:51:50

Both more w/o the pre and ?  Here's the story.

Prior to the Decware gear I had a pair of Coincident 300B monos, the latest version, and a Coincident Statement Phono Pre which also had an input for a digital source, so it was my only preamp.  I thought it was the ultimate setup and left me wanting nothing else.  I needed some cash so sold the the 300B monos and bought the Rachel amp.  I was amazed that the sound was as good for a quarter of the price.  I think I was even hearing more inner detail.  Then I remembered Steve suggested when I was ordering the amp to try it without the preamp.  It sounded better without the expensive pre and a little louder.  So I sold the Coincident pre and ordered the csp2.  Listened to the Rachel for about two months that way and started to notice the sound was a little harsh sometimes without the pre, only on certain recordings, all digital since I couldn't play vinyl then.  So since getting the csp2 I haven't compared with it in and out of the system so don't know if I get more or less volume.  I might do that comparison tonight.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/14/13 at 19:07:11

Thanks Jeff for the history.  It's very encouraging for me that the Rachael sounded better than you more expensive gear.  I have no doubt it would improve the sound over my solid state amp that my csp2 is driving now.  Still thinking hard on this one.
Greg

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/14/13 at 19:41:00

I love reading this discussion, especially the surprise of revelation from the modest Rachael, which I have not had the pleasure to hear myself. I view this amp as one headphone socket away from perfection as a single chassis source selector and power unit, particularly in cong 4 or 5. In config 1, she could be a very good center channel mono amp in an HT setup, especially as the EL34/6CA7 could probably more easily be tuned to characteristics of a couple of Toriis. Depending on what I do with my center channel, I may decide to swap my SE84ZS out for a config 1.

And I love the jazz appreciation. Last night, after dropping my daughter's friend off, we listened to the R-men on the way home. She is 17, and she commented that she likes the sound of jazz at night. She got there hearing Decware at home at night.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/14/13 at 19:59:04

I got my Rachel yesterday and straight out of the box I am pretty blown away.  It actually sounds better than what I heard at Zenfest.  

I would like a little more volume on some music, but I am currently in a 18 X 14 room and my (current) main speakers are 89db.  Thus my question about the pre boosting the volume a bit.  I don't think I need too much.

I'm excited about the prospect of this amp (and the interconnects) breaking in.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/14/13 at 20:08:01

Yeah Palerider,  one of my 2 boys, a 10yr old, gets pissy when the house is noisy when he does it home work. must have gotten what book worm he has in him from his mother because it tweren't from me.  :)  anyways, since i've been playing a lot of my APO blue notes this past year, he now doesn't beef at all when I put it on while he's working.   Doing my part to foster another generation of jazz enthusiast's.

Speaking of jazz,  when I do determine which Decware amp is for me, the very first disc I'll spin is for sure going to be  Ike Quebec's  Bossa Nova Soul Samba.  Man I can't wait to hear that in a total tube system.  sigh...

Greg

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 02/14/13 at 20:35:49

Two LP's spinning here last night that haven't been played in a while were

"Bags meets Wes! Milt Jackson and Wes Montgomery w/ Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones and Philly Joe Jones" on Riverside

and

"Frank Morgan and The McCoy Tyner Trio Major Changes"

Sounding very good, almost all tube system: CSP2+ with an added stereo/mono switch and the SE34I.3, phono stage is a Heed Quasar

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/14/13 at 20:52:07

Nice Jeff.   I have that Bags Meets Wes in Sacd format.  I'll bet the vinyl is even better.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/15/13 at 03:05:14

PM sent

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #22 - 02/15/13 at 06:41:06

Hi JeffS,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I was literally one click away from ordering the Coincident Franks and preamp when I saw your post.
Guess I'll wait for the latest Torii Zen Mk 4 to be released before I splurge again on my next sonic upgrade.

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 02/17/13 at 15:04:08

Still Available

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/17/13 at 15:41:30

Hey Jeff,  I'm very interested, please send pictures.

Thanks,
Dennis

IP Logged
SMB1968
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 02/27/13 at 02:23:45

just saw it was listed as sold in the other thread, so never mind
Scott

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member