Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:10:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sent my ZSM's back, for Jupiter beeswax caps (Read 15496 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Sent my ZSM's back, for Jupiter beeswax caps
02/02/13 at 20:16:56

SmileyWell, the title says it all.  The Philips tuner in my second system broke down, so I sent it to Joseph Chow in California, for repair and possible upgrade to cryoed Jupiter beeswax caps.

Since I now have nothing to use my Decware ZSM mono's with, I sent them off today for the CKC mod.  That's replacing the existing VCAPS with the Jupiter Caps, and replacing the plate and cathode resistors with a higher quality resistor.

I'm really looking forward to hearing how these amps will sound, once they get back. Smiley

Mike

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Sent my ZSM's back, for Jupiter beeswax caps
Reply #1 - 02/03/13 at 13:33:02

I will be waiting for your impressions.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/03/13 at 16:41:49

I'll keep you informed.  It should be interesting.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/13 at 20:43:49

Sorry it took some time to get back with my impressions of the Jupiter capped ZSM's.  

I was waiting for my source component, a modded Philips 6731 tuner, but it came back from being repaired, with the tuning assembly knocked askew, due to rough handling by FedEx (yes, it was double boxed).
So I had to send the tuner back once again, for further repair.

Anyway, I have about fifteen hours burn-in time on the ZSM's with two new Jupiter caps and four resistors.  Do I like them better than the VCAPS originally on them?  For my ears, the Jupiters are way better!  Greater detail, more natural sounding, slightly increased dynamics.  The soundstage is more defined, also.  This is a bigger improvement than I expected.

Once I get a few hundred hours on them, I'll be back with more impressions.  

Mike

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 04/06/13 at 05:08:50

Thanks Mike,  I really appreciate your sharing your impressions and please do keep us posted!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/12/13 at 15:29:57

Steve, Thanks for personally posting, I appreciate it.

I've going to wait until I get 200 hours on my nicely modded ZSM's, before I give further impressions.  With about 100+ hours on them, I will say that they manage to sound more detailed than they did with the VCAPS, and yet...extremely organic, natural, at the same time.  Quite a feat!  I am so impressed.

I could not go back to the VCAPS, after hearing these Jupiters w/the higher quality resistors.  No way!

Yesterday I sent my ZP3 (an early one, serial no. 20) back to Decware, for upgrading with two Jupiter caps in the final stages (one left channel, one right channel).  You're installing a mono switch also, but the main thing is the Jupiter cap upgrade.  This should take an already superb, world class, phono stage, to a new level.  I'm completely sold on the Jupiters in my ZSM's, and can't wait to hear what they'll do in my ZP3.

Thanks so much!
Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print