Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 09:47:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from Newbie looking for advice (Read 5577 times)
JJSuperfly
Verified Member

Hello from Newbie looking for advice
01/29/13 at 01:02:25

Hello, I just joined the forums yesterday having thirsted for a CSP2+ for driving my HD600's for many, many months.  Since my original thought of headphone amp I've become interested in vinyl to the point ot getting ready to buy and re-build including DIY plinth a Lenco L75 (and invest in a decent cartridge and tonearm).  

My current audio system has Mirage M5si speakers driven by two channels of a Bryston 5B ST amp from a Bryston SP11 pre-amp (which I'm told has a not-too bad MM phono section).  Other main source is a Magnum Dynalab MD100 tuner and Denon 3800 used for CD's.  
I've not had a chance to audition any Decware products but my impression from the forums are very positive; (very hard to find anything that remotely competes at that price).  My thinking is to get both the ZP3 phonostage and CSP2+ (possibly to use as a pre-amp as well).  
Any advice and recommendations will be appreciated.
best regards,
/Jody

IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Re: Hello from Newbie looking for advice
Reply #1 - 01/29/13 at 14:31:55

Hi! And welcome!
CSP2+ as preamplifier would be nice addition to your system, but as headphone amp I myself did not get that WOW effect. I get better sound with my headphones straight from DAC and much louder. I don't know is that because Ultrasone has low impedance (only 32Ohm). But anyway, as headphone amp use I was disappointed.
Do you already have DAC in your system? If not you have to get it first. This one I can recommend: http://www.headfishop.com/aune-24bit-192k-x1-dac-headphone-amp-preamp-usb-dac-au... Winner in price range, as DAC and headphone amp.

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/13 at 15:14:46

Welcome.  Nice to see someone else with some Magnum Dynalab equipment. I have the MD 100T that is currently running through the CSP2+ into my Torii.  You will not be disappointed in the CSP2+ although I do suggest experimenting with different tubes.

JD

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #3 - 01/29/13 at 15:34:55

As a very satisfied owner of a CSP2+, my advice is that tube rolling makes a BIG difference to the sound.

With the wrong tube in place, the CSP2+ can actually sound bad.

The default stock tube complement of Russian 6N1P-EVs provides plenty of organic tube warmth and is already Audiophile grade.
Just replace the supplied Chinese Rectifier with a NOS US 5Y3 rectifier (tung sol or RCA or sylvania) for around US$25  and you should be all set!

Any further tube rolling is optional.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/29/13 at 15:52:32

I agree with Lord Soth. The CSP2+ takes a long time to break in but when it's well-seasoned it can transform a system. The ZP3 is another excellent choice. Again takes time to be all it can be, but after that it's very enjoyable. In the CSP2+ I too feel that the 6N1P tube complement works wonderfully and I feel that the 5Y3 tube type is THE rectifier to use (I use an RCA).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JJSuperfly
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/31/13 at 03:52:50

thanks for the advice, I can hardly wait to get my CSP2+ then...continuing onto a vinyl rig (including probably a ZP3).

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #6 - 01/31/13 at 04:59:15

I'm pretty sure that your High Impedance HD600 will synergise well with the CSP2+
Coz my 600Ohms Beyer T1 and DT880 worked very well there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print