Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 20:09:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I just lost my tube virginity (Read 5421 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

I just lost my tube virginity
01/27/13 at 15:24:40

I fired up my Torii this morning and heard a loud hum coming out of the right channel. I thought that it was strange since I always turn the volume off when I start up. I shut it down and restarted, damn, same hum. I then shut it down and started swapping one set of tubes side to side to figure out which one was bad. Well when I swapped the front EL34's the hum moved to the left side. Problem isolated.
Oh well, almost 2 years of quite a bit of use isn't too bad.
It looks like I am in the market for replacements.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I just lost my tube virginity
Reply #1 - 01/27/13 at 16:24:54

I run the hell out of my Torii and get about a year a set of tubes--not that they hum but they begin to lose their bass authority after about that year.

I recommend trying the JJ 6CA7--been quite reliable and great sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/27/13 at 16:40:57

I recommend Mullard Reissues from Jim McShane. I am sure Lon is buying his JJ's from a place that gets their better quality. However, JJ's are a dicey proposition, when buying from any Tom Dick or Harry.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/27/13 at 17:03:08

I've gotten mine from Steve and other Torii owners and also from cryoset.com Haven't had a problem, and haven't ever had a problem with JJ E34L. I think their output tubes are good.

The sound of the JJ 6CA7 is a boost up from the Mullard reissues imo.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 01/27/13 at 17:32:22

I just swapped the tubes front to back. It looks like I have bought myself a little time. At least I can listen to some music.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print