Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 19:46:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
F/S:KenRad VT-244 5U4G's-WWII NOS, matched pairs (Read 10448 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

F/S:KenRad VT-244 5U4G's-WWII NOS, matched pairs
01/08/13 at 06:04:24

I have two different closely matched pairs of NOS KenRad VT-244 5U4G's, (and one single) to sell.

All three of these WWII tubes have been tested on a state of the art Amplitrex tube tester.  Test results on request.  Although the original boxes (remember this is WWII) are a bit beat up, the bases are tight, pins are shiny, no loose particles in the tubes.

$225 per closely matched pair, or $85.00 for the single. The single Kenrad has the base notched-in slightly, in two places, to fit more firmly on my Torii III.  It also has about 75 hours of usage.  It was half of another closely matched pair. It's mate had an unfortunate accident.

For $100, I also have a matched pair of NOS National Union VT244 5U4G's, both with original boxes, and both made in March of 1944.  NO loose particles, pins shiny, bases tight.

Shipment by Priority Mail, payment by Paypal or cashier's check.  USA sales only.  I'll accept returns within seven days, if you pay the return shipping.  All of these tubes will be shipped double boxed, with plenty of packing material.

Feel free to email me directly at:  mike@terrapin-gardens.com

Thanks for looking!  Mike in Seattle area.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: F/S:KenRad VT-244 5U4G's-WWII NOS, matched pairs
Reply #1 - 01/11/13 at 05:17:23

Price on the KenRads, has been lowered to $195.00 per pair, or $75 for the single tube.

Thanks!
Mike

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/17/13 at 18:42:14

Price on the KenRads has been lowered to $170 per pair, or $65 for the single tube.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #3 - 01/18/13 at 20:14:59

what do you feel the benefit of these tubes is in the torii 3?

tom

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/19/13 at 19:08:26

Hi Tom, I'm sorry about the delay in responding.  My mom died eight days ago (of natural causes-age 84),  so I've had some things to do.

OK, my main system is a V-capped Torii 3, Decware ZP3, Legacy Audio Signature III speakers, modified/restored Tandberg 3001 tuner, Rega P25 w/Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge & other additions, Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner (2012 platinum cap version), Grover Huffman ZX speaker cables/interconnects/power cords. Mapleshade Samson racks (2), a bunch of Decware and GIK Acoustics sound treatments, over 1K in Herbiesaudio lab stuff, Sistrum stands under speakers,  all NOS tubes.

In the Torii 3, the VT-244 Kenrads are a great tube, with good bass, nice highs, and a big lush soundstage. I feel they are exceeded only by Tungsols.   I slightly prefer the 50's Tungsol 5U4G's, which have smaller soundstage than the KenRads, but listening to jazz and classical, the imaging is a little better.  I'd like to hear the 40's Tungsol top getter VT244's someday,  but those are serious money, and good luck finding a closely matched pair.

Next down, I like old RCA's, 40's bottom getters would be first preference, then the 50's top getters. 40's Sylvania's are nice also, but the RCA's have the edge.  All this of course, is to my listening ears, in my own system.

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 01/19/13 at 22:32:32

tgarden, They make Legacy's one town over from me. I've always wondered if they would work with a Torii.
Their Whisper has always been on my lust list.
How do the Signature's sound, will they play loud?
I'm going to stick with Zygi's stuff, but inquiring minds want to know.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/19/13 at 22:39:59

My Mom passed away on New Year's Day at age 86 and I have been doing a lot, too.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/19/13 at 22:50:07

Mike, Jim, my condolences to you both.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/19/13 at 23:15:03

Lon and Jim,  many thanks for your thoughts, I do appreciate it.  It makes you reflect about life, when something like this happens.

Donnie,  The Legacy Audio Signature III speakers (11 years old now) get plenty loud with the Torii III.   I used to drive these speakers with a Torii I (that was a bit iffy) and then aTorii II (that worked good), but the Torii III has that extra power to push these speakers along.  It has three 10" woofers, and I get good bass (depending on the source material of course).  

Yeah, I've lusted after the Whispers also, but the price is something else.
Several of the guys at Music Direct used to own Sig III's, and they really liked them.

I turn off the rear firing tweeter to keep the crossover signals, simpler.  The new Legacy Signature speakers have a less complex crossover as well as improved wiring.  No complaints from me though.  Friends who have listened, are impressed by the sound they produce on all types of music.

I've got a pair of Decware MG944's in my second system, and while I feel they are a terrific speaker for the money, I do prefer the Sig IIIs.
Also, the woodwork on the Sig III's is very, very, nice.

Mike

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/20/13 at 18:40:12

No interest on the Kenrads yet?  OK,  I'll lower the price one more time (as far as I'll go).  $150 for a pair,  or $50 for the single tube.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 01/26/13 at 16:45:05

Price on the KenRad 5U4G's is lowered again.  I'll sell them for $125.00 for a closely matched NOS pair (in WWII boxes), or $40 for the very slightly used (NOS when I bought it) single tube.

I have two matched pairs (4 tubes total) to sell.

If you purchase these 5U4G's and are unhappy for any reason, I'll accept returns within 7 days.

Thanks for looking!
Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print