Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 18:30:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Recommendations (Read 16928 times)
Ron
Seasoned Member

Power Recommendations
01/06/13 at 23:13:10

So I have upgraded my receptacle to a hospital grade outlet.
From there I want to place some line conditioner of some sorts.

Should I get something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HPHN/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=A...

or like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AYDQB6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=A...

This is the price that I want to start at, the PS Power Plant is too rich for my blood right now.

Thanks in advance!

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Power Recommendations
Reply #1 - 01/08/13 at 17:59:38

I can't say what's better, but I believe that Steve uses the 1,000 watt version of #1 in his listening room.

I just purchased the 250 watt version of #1 to try out.

I'd also recommend a good power cord if you haven't got one yet.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/13 at 18:48:37

The isolation transformer is recommended by Steve, I will start there. I see more benefit from the isolation transformer than a line conditioner if I understand both properly.

Thanks for the input!

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/08/13 at 18:51:37

Here is an excerpt of Steve's response to me.  I went with the lower wattage unit because of cost, Steve's comment about vibration and it also looked like 250 watts was more than enough to cover my equipment.

"The smaller models are desirable as they make less vibration.  The numbers represent wattage.  A small zen triode amplifier draws 80 watts from the outlet.  Our larger Zen Torii draws 130 watts.  The SE34 draws 90 watts."

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/08/13 at 18:59:03

Right on, thanks!

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/08/13 at 23:23:16

Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321051641304?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

http://www.avtoybox.com/is-250.html

Best prices I could find on the 250 W models... (m.)  Note: No affiliation

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/09/13 at 04:01:45

That is a good price.  Better than I found when I bought.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/16/13 at 14:27:53

I previously had built a separate power strip using good quality outlets, power cord and plugs and now I have all my components on the isolation transformer.  This provided improvements in imaging and bass.  Then just for fun I made a power cord using 10 AWG silver plated copper that my wife braided for me and some wattgate plugs I stole off another DIY power cord.  Its still early, but the bass is definitely deeper and has a lot more slam.

I am a big believer in getting the power right.  Keep in mind I am still running SS while I wait for my SE34, but I expect these gains to carry over to the tube amp.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/17/13 at 01:30:19

Well, I also just purchased the #1 version from above... We'll have to see if it improves the sound... I'll report on this later... (m.)

added: The 250 watt version

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 01/17/13 at 15:12:10

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=adcom+ac+enhancer+ace-515&qpvt=adcom+ac+enha...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adcom-ACE-515-AC-enhancer-/360342964517

http://www.users.interport.net/a/d/adcom/ace515.html

http://new.audiogon.com/listings/327322

If you can find one of these....they are a gem & 1/2. Switching turn on and can handle up to 750 watts. It's an Isolation Transformer with more features and power handling and they do turn up on Audiogon and the Bay in great shape.  I've owned one brand new since the stone age...and of course, works like the day it was new.  -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/17/13 at 17:18:31

I didn't have very good luck with the Tripplite isolation transformers, introduced an "edge" to the sound. (Though it took me ages to really identify the edginess; actually Radcha noticing the same thing led me to isolate the sound). I went with PS Audio power products and have been very happy.

(Still no computer, using a friend's briefly, hope all are enjoying great sound!)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/18/13 at 17:46:04

Lon, at 85 bucks net [eBay], I'm going to give it a try... I don't think I need a larger one for my needs right now... If I hear that 'steely' sound of which you speak, I'll take it out straight away... (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 01/18/13 at 18:02:09

Cool. Hope you never hear it. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/20/13 at 01:27:15

Uncle Lon, I got the unit, and I seem to be hearing the same thing you did... I mean, straight away... I mean, it's a clear sound, and quiet... But it has a certain edginess/thinness to it...

I'm glad I didn't spend too much... I'm going to keep it on-line for awhile, just to make sure, but it seems as though you're right about this unit... Oh, the trials and tribulations of audio!... (m.)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 01/23/13 at 19:14:29

Any more detail you can provide on this edginess?  Is it the initial attack of the note ragged?

I am not experiencing this to my ears.  If anything the unit smoothed out the edges and improved the sound stage.  Maybe I am not listening close enough or my system is not yet resolving enough.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/23/13 at 19:31:07

Well, I would call it a kind of clinical sound vs. more warm... I'm still not 100% sure yet... It could be that it's just a more defined sound... But my ears tell me that there's something else going on...

Note: When I received the unit, the base was damaged... Tripp Lite is sending me a new unit... I'll say this much: The company stands behind their products...

I'll report more on this later after I hook up the new unit... It could be that the one I have here now has been damaged internally or something... Or perhaps it needs break-in time?...   (m.)

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/23/13 at 19:31:56

Was yours the medical grade unit?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/23/13 at 20:05:40

Hello, and no, it was the standard unit... I understand that there may be a different grounding scheme on the medical units... Looking inside the unit, all primary components and secondary components are grounded to the same chassis screw... I don't understand how this can be TRUE isolation, but it does conform to NEC [National Electrical Codes]...

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/23/13 at 20:06:35

It is not true isolation. It is a safety mechanism. You can remove that ground and you will have true isolation.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/23/13 at 20:07:08

I have the same unit as Mark.  Interesting but mine was banged up as well.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 01/23/13 at 22:09:15

If the secondary side ground is removed, you will not have absolute chassis ground in case of a ground fault in your audio equipment, right?... I don't know if I would want to do that... But my guess is that it would improve the performance of the unit overall...

Need to look at any center tap arrangements that exist on the X-former... That may determine just what can be done with the grounding situation...

A schematic of the unit might help... Can someone find this?... I can't seem to find one... (m.)

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/24/13 at 11:58:49

I found this which is quite interesting... http://www.surgex.com/residential.html#strips

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 01/28/13 at 03:39:19

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the PS Audio (entry level) Dectet Power Center looks like a really good product for the price @ $495.

It has the Power Port duplexes and is a passive filtration device (after extenisve reading this seems the best way to go) and with surge suppression, etc.  By no means cheap, but it's worth a look if within your budget.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print