Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 15:56:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOR SALE - MOST UNIQUE SE34I TO OWN - SOLD (Read 8092 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

FOR SALE - MOST UNIQUE SE34I TO OWN - SOLD
01/05/13 at 04:47:47

Ever wonder where the Zen Triode Integrated got the name Rachael?  Well, it was named by the man who has built virtually almost every SE34I to date, Denis Hazen, my top amp builder.  This is HIS amplifier, which he named Rachael.  So it brings some unique history to the table having been lovingly tweaked all these years.  This was the actual amplifier that the Christmas Comes Early Mod was invented with.  Also known as the Hazen Grid mod it is now standard fair in almost all of our amplifiers. That makes this the most unique SE34I available, and since these things don't break or wear out, the value is sure to increase over time.

For those who don't recall, this is the original Zen Triode Integrated, model SE34I, with four output tubes and four output transformers.  There are many ways you can configure this amplifier, but the way Denis ran it was in a biamp configuration where one set of output tube ran a pair of high efficiency bass cabinets and the other set of output tubes ran a sweet pair of bookshelf speakers setting on top of the bass cabs.  It was amazing good that way.

Ever wonder if it's true - that Decware amps get better sounding with age - this amp will make a quick point of it.

We are selling it as a demo amp with a lifetime warranty to the buyer, direct from Decware.  Contact me via my e-mail zen@decware.com

This unit is configured with a single pair of inputs and dual volume controls.  It also has the optional and expensive 6922 preamp option built in, which gives it some real slam... $1200 OBO.  Can ship immediately, no 12 week wait!  Already burned-in.  New tubes will be provided if the asking price is met.  Lower offers will not come with tubes.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: FOR SALE - MOST UNIQUE SE34I TO OWN
Reply #1 - 01/05/13 at 05:00:16

Somebody, quick, jump on this amp!
I have the stock version of this, with the "Hazen-mod".
It is a formidable music making machine.
If i didn't have mine----!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/13 at 13:07:25

This won't last . . . Half of what it's worth.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/06/13 at 03:55:04

Danggit! You mean I could have TWO? Awe poopoo!!!! Angry

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/06/13 at 06:22:04

Steve Deckert said, Quote:
"Denis ran it was in a biamp configuration where one set of output tube ran a pair of high efficiency bass cabinets'

meaning this amp has a tubed pass through pre out, that went to another amp for the bass cabs, not powered out to them?

this amp is 6 watts x 2? preferred impedance?

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #5 - 01/06/13 at 15:03:15

The above amp has 2 sets of OPT's, and 4 sets of binding posts, making it dead easy to bi-amp.
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/06/13 at 22:16:23

it is like having a four discrete channel amp on the outputs. Each of the dual left and right channels are fed by a stereo built-in pre consisting on one input dual triode and two dual triode driver tubes which I think each of the 4 total driver sections is does duty for each el34 output stage. Not sure about that last statement. Steve?

Original SE34 Integrated amps had the inboard and outboard set of tubes wired in different triode config. One was so called "british" triode circuit and the other was Decware "Zen" triode. Denis at some point long ago wired his SE34I with all four channels in Zen triode. Therefter continued modification until the Hazen grid mod. I think this is complete but prolly not.

But to answer Jason I think Steve is saying that the left side and right side power tube sets were individually running the mid/tweet cabinets and the bass cabinet on each stereo side on Denis' set-up. That is onle left power tube running main speaker and one left power tube running the bass. Likewise for the right side. No other amp involved here. So that is 3.5 wpc to 8ohms per EL34.
Mine is a "Rachel" like Denis' and I run it almost exclusively with the four binding posts on each side bridged in parallel with two jumper wires black to black red to red. That nets supposedly 7wpc but when you hear it it can get almost as loud as a "blue" original TORII (Mk1). Pretty amazing 7 watts of triode. On the right speakers it is heavenly.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 01/07/13 at 17:27:21

Thank you Don and Chris, after reading Chris' explanation, then re-reading Steve's original post, and Don's reply, I completely understand now (I think . . maybe . . .) and I am twice as interested in this amp then I was previously, and previously, I was Interested x 104.

Opnly_bfld my current understand is that there are eight total binding posts, 4 for the left channel, 4 for the right channel, two positives and two negatives for each side, when each pair are connected you would have a total of four speakers connected, two to the left side, two to the right, each seeing approximately 3.5 watts each, your other option is to jumper each side so that they are bridged, which would give you 7 watts x 2. (a very healthy 7 watts according to Chris)

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #8 - 01/07/13 at 19:12:51

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/07/13 at 22:51:59

Jason wrote:
"Opnly_bfld my current understand is that there are eight total binding posts, 4 for the left channel, 4 for the right channel, two positives and two negatives for each side, when each pair are connected you would have a total of four speakers connected, two to the left side, two to the right, each seeing approximately 3.5 watts each, your other option is to jumper each side so that they are bridged, which would give you 7 watts x 2. (a very healthy 7 watts according to Chris)"

Yes exactly Jason. This amp to my understanding was rated at 3.5 wpc that's per power tube and each of the four have their own set of posts. Its like four channels of amplification but the left and right sets carry left and right stereo channels. You can pull one set of power tube out and run minimalists set up with speakers only on one set of posts. Only 3.5 watts max but its like a "Zen C" on steroids. Double the power supply. And the center toggle biases the input tube hard or soft and there are two toggles left and right that bias the power tubes hard or soft. This tone changes are quite handy. I cannot testify as to how Denis may have or not modded these switches. mine do what they did always as described. I'll never sell this amp!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #10 - 01/08/13 at 04:18:44

I always like to ask the obvious question, "what amp did he upgrade to?"

IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/08/13 at 16:03:44

<-- Sad Panda   Cry

IP Logged
Ron
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/10/13 at 20:56:57

Aww shucks! My amp is arriving in the mail any minute now...
I don't have another 1200 to shell out. :-\

HR-1 + Torii Jr. + ZROCK2 + ZP3 + VPI Prime Scout + UberBUSS + TriodeWireLabs Seven/Ten Plus + ASC IsoThermal TubeTraps
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: FOR SALE - MOST UNIQUE SE34I TO OWN - SOLD
Reply #13 - 01/16/13 at 17:54:13

He upgraded to a TORII MKIII.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print