Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 08:50:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Select, Klipsch RF-7, HSU Subs (Read 28987 times)
DBC
Seasoned Member

Zen Select, Klipsch RF-7, HSU Subs
12/30/12 at 16:01:08

Oppo BDP-83SE, Zen Select, Klipsch RF-7, Dual HSU 15" Subs (ULS-15) and Dual HSU 12" Mid Bass Modules (MBM-12 MK2)

Front wall is bare since I use it to project a 100" image from a Panasonic PT-AE3000U front projector.

Two watts with this speaker setup easily rocks my 15' X 21' listening room with an equally large adjacent kitchen and dining area.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Zen Select, Klipsch RF-7, HSU Subs
Reply #1 - 12/30/12 at 16:28:41

I've noticed that everyone has more or less the same rug.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
KobeeDog

Reply #2 - 08/18/13 at 17:47:36

They sell 'em at Walmart. I have more or less the same one too.

IP Logged
neilwill
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/20/13 at 01:49:42

Nice setup.  What's the stand your using?  I have a two component system and need a nice two shelf stand to streamline the look.  Thanks.

Torii MkIII w/jupiter caps, Tonian Classic 8.1 S speakers (98db, 16 ohm), BMC Audio BDCD 1.1 cd player, Synergistic Research Powercell 6 SE, Synergistic Research Tesla Accelerator IC, Synergistic Research T2 SE & T3 SE power cords, Auditorium 23 speaker cable
  IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #4 - 08/26/13 at 03:47:19

It is fun to see a room that can be filled by 2 watts. I love that. I'll bet the Klipsch's sound terrific.

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
cervelorider
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/21/13 at 03:52:33

I love Decware with Klipsch horns.  Dynamics galore.

WWW   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/24/13 at 00:17:57

neilwill, Bought these stands years ago from Audio Advisor and see that they no longer carry this exact stand but this is close.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SAEFAB%20%20%20%20BLKBLK

You purchase the base unit and then separate shelf units that stack on top.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/24/13 at 00:35:29

Longbowbbs, Cervelorider,

It is crazy how well the Super Zen and RF-7's fill a large open space. I have to say however there were times when I wished I had a few more watts, that is until I purchased the HSU Mid Bass Modules. These added a crazy Mid Bass Punch that two watts simply could not deliver.

The Super Zen just seems to do everything right with the mids and highs. The Mid Bass Modules reinforce the low end making the sound stage much bigger and meatier than you would think. Since the MBM purchase I have not wanted for more power.

For me the combination of the Super Zen, RF-7's and Mid Bass Modules  is simply hard to beat.

DBC   IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #8 - 10/24/13 at 03:41:58

I have a Def Tech Supercube III I used with the DM945's to give them that extra low end push.

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
  IP Logged
Phillip Griffith
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/21/14 at 11:08:33

May I ask how all those speakers are wired?  Are they daisy-chained, or do you have Y adapters in front of the first two speakers on each channel?

Is anything connected to the "output to speakers" connectors on the MBM-12s?

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #10 - 09/21/14 at 12:23:02

There are two outputs on the CSP2+ One went to the Taboo MK III as a Pre-Out for the DM945's. The other I used the Right channel output to feed the Super Cube III Subwoofer. Pretty straight forward. Worked very well too.

Upgradeus Interruptus
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/17/14 at 16:41:52

Quote:
May I ask how all those speakers are wired?  Are they daisy-chained, or do you have Y adapters in front of the first two speakers on each channel?

Is anything connected to the "output to speakers" connectors on the MBM-12s?

The Left & Right are wired in a speaker level Daisy Chain configuration. From the Amp to Left & Right mains using Kimber 4TC speaker cable. From Left & Right mains to Left & right subs using CAT-5 cable. From Left & Right subs to Left & Right mid bass modules using CAT-5 cable.

The Mid Bass Modules have Speaker Level input connections (no Speaker Level  output connections like you might find on some subs if that is what you are getting at). My mains are strong down to 50hz. The MBM simply augments the 50 to 150hz range. The MBM provides added density and a better 3D sense to the music.

DBC   IP Logged
Phillip Griffith
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/17/14 at 23:04:47

I hadn't heard of using CAT-5 cables for speaker cables before.  How do they connect?  All eight wires in the CAT-5 wrapped around binding posts?

Is there a voltage regulator in these pictures, or am I thinking of somebody else?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 10/18/14 at 15:55:10

I've used Cat-5 and Cat-6 (Cryo'd) wire in the past, just one strand for positive, one for negative per speaker. Nice. Low down the totum pole of my favorites but nice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/20/14 at 15:29:43

DBC Stated Earlier:

Quote:
The Mid Bass Modules have Speaker Level input connections (no Speaker Level  output connections like you might find on some subs if that is what you are getting at). My mains are strong down to 50hz. The MBM simply augments the 50 to 150hz range. The MBM provides added density and a better 3D sense to the music.

For the record it seems my above statement was not entirely correct. The Mid Bass Module does have Speaker Level Inputs AND Outputs. Best I can determine there is no Crossover in the Output circuit (simply a pass-through) ???

On another note, The HSU "Quick Set-Up Guide" for the Mid Bass Module states: "Speaker Level connections are to be used only as a last resort. Much prefer line level connections".

I'm not sure why HSU suggests Speaker Level connections are inferior to Line Level connections?  I'm having great results with Speaker Level connections.

DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/20/14 at 15:47:19

Phillip Stated:
Quote:
I hadn't heard of using CAT-5 cables for speaker cables before.  How do they connect?  All eight wires in the CAT-5 wrapped around binding posts?

Is there a voltage regulator in these pictures, or am I thinking of somebody else?

I'm currently running my Subs and Mid Bass Modules in a Stacked Configuration. I'm using Aurlex Isolation Platforms between the Subs & floor and between the Mid Bass Modules and Subs.

Crummy photo but you can see Cat-5 attached to the Left Sub and daisy chained out to the Left Mid Bass Module. The Cat-5 consists of 4 twisted pair. I'm using 2 twisted pair for the + and 2 twisted pair for the -. It's important to note the Sub and Mid Bass Module place virtually no load on the amplifier so a very small wire gauge is fine for this purpose.

DBC   IP Logged
Raymundo
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 02/21/15 at 01:24:57

DBC,

How satisfied are you with the projector and image on the wall?

Personally, I was hoping to do that rather than spend on flat screen tvs (wanting larger and watch them become obsolete)

Do you recommend?

Raymundo

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/29/15 at 22:12:20

Burning in a new set of Omega Super Alnico monitors:

DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/29/15 at 22:44:04

DBC,  I'm sure those are sounding mighty fine.  Those are ported in the back...right?  Take a look at my post on the Deep Hemp Sub I bought this morning and tell me if I understand the hook up.  I guess I need to order one of those Sub Dudes.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print