05/05/24 at 17:39:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just musing here... (Read 4737 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Just musing here...
12/28/12 at 00:14:27

Question: To solve the issue of a minimalist approach to both volume control, and balance control, why doesn't Decware use something like this?:

A dual concentric [stereo] volume control...

McIntosh and Marantz used to have them...  

The beauty of this kind of volume control is that you can set the difference in channel levels once, and thereafter just use the pot as a simple volume control...  At least that is how they used to work...  ???  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Just musing here...
Reply #1 - 12/28/12 at 01:29:54

More like this:

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/28/12 at 01:31:45

And...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/28/12 at 03:04:11

I am sure that the designers over at DECWARE know about these things. There must be some sonic compromise in using such a pot. That is most likely why it was rejected. Just speculating here.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/28/12 at 05:21:55

Standard disclaimer. I may be FOS or talking OMA... But I understand from reading here....stepped attenuator advantage is fidelity due to discrete resistors at each step. Disadvantage is the step size, there are no half step volume levels..more and smaller discrete steps would be better at the cost of more discrete resistors.

advantage of dual volume controls is fine control of balance.  Set one level, then adjust other until your sound stage snaps into focus.  Handles irregular room shapes, reflections.  Dual stepped attenuators make this fine adjustment hard.

so I understand it is a cake OR eat it situation.

a normal stereo pot, l r adjustable or not has both disadvantages.  Lower fidelity and lack of real time adjustment of balance.

IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/28/12 at 07:50:08

Oh I see, dual concentric...  both are adjustable, they just seemingly share a shaft. Then I guess its just about the pot quality compared to those used by decware.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print