Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 15:46:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It is official, Vinyl is crap (Read 14228 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

It is official, Vinyl is crap
12/19/12 at 23:59:12

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Re: It is official, Vinyl is crap
Reply #1 - 12/30/12 at 23:13:00

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Grin

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/30/12 at 23:59:08

The author is such an a**hole', so prejudiced and so wrong that it would take all night to dissect this article.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/31/12 at 12:27:50

I got rid of my vinyl years ago , why ? because the industry was recording in digital and puting it  on vinyl , Remember that ,it sucked, tusk by fleetwood mac, a stevie wonder album Hotter than July  etc. etc. azimith , vta, speed control, I had straight line tracking arms , the magnepan arm , linn ittoch arm, . they gave 100 years to vinyl to be "perfected", oh did I mention vibration. you would walk across the room and the arm would launch itself across the record. enter the cd , what no adjustments ? doesnt mistrack unless you jump up and down . sound that sucked, wait , was on the market in 1983,and i could listen to stevie wonders innervisions  all way through . still the sound sucked . through that wonderful magnavox player. jump to today only 30 years latter. still searching for a good source, cd maybe got 20 years to be "perfected"!      don't think we gave cd a chance . you can get better sound from a download onto a ipod, really???

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/31/12 at 15:09:18

For one thing, the author bemoans the failure of SACD because it did not support a video format. SACD was BS from the word go. Just a gimmick to sell all of the music released on CD on this new format. Only they were too stupid to realize that most people would stop buying CD's.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/01/13 at 09:48:08

Please dont stop buying cd`s, vinyl is expensive enough.
It`s just a temporary glitch. We`ll get a new bunch of
super clocks, faster samplers, and a new  4 box system
out asap. The market is not saturated.
Dont relate the ladies burning their fur coats to the loss
of analogue recording equipment.
Our spies are out watching for any new instalations.
We are not powerless against popular choice.  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/01/13 at 14:22:57

have no intention on stopping buying CD's Did'nt buy the zcd200i for nothing. its not perfect but what is? besides tickets to lincoln center....!   Or maybe the tower theater in Philly......  and if you have to spend 80k on a sacd DCS player , that will buy alot of tickets to those venues ,and the plane ride. and am sure its not perfect either. back a few years ago i had a marantz sa8001 to see what this SACD was all about . Well after listening to my buddys rega apollo  he bought new . there was just no contest even with the sacd 's . The apollo just trounced most players including my marantz sa 8001 ,class A in stereopile , i mean Stereophile. what a joke . Vinyl is not crap,alot  of us grew up listening to vinyl and still insist on it . to me ya spend too much time trying to make it sound its best. and keep clean , clean the record clean the stylus, phono sections stepup devices , half the time spent on these things rather than listening, and the money spent to get there....No thank you

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/01/13 at 14:46:44

Somebody else agrees with me that SACD is BS.

55   IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 01/06/13 at 12:01:04

SACD was devised as a copy protection scheme(as was blu-ray)  At the time Napster was in full force, and these formats were not easily ripped, and burners and blank media were priced out of reach.

Even today stand alone SACD DAC are not common.

John C.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/06/13 at 13:39:00

That's right, because who needs 'em?

55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 01/06/13 at 19:20:45

DSD DACs are beginning to come out and will be the next best thing. DSD is better than PCM. SACD can be really really good, the mastering makes a difference, but the format is superior to Redbook. I have lots of classical SACDs that I really enjoy, and some jazz.

Vinyl is amazing. So is digital done right. It's win win.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/06/13 at 20:25:40

It is win win really.
My analog puts my digital in the shade, but my digital has never attempted to come up to date, even with modest giant killers.
I haven`t ruled out an audiophile cd system, just for new material.
It`s just so simple, one box and you`re there.

Simple process. Convert analogue to digital and reverse the process
to play it back. If it was that easy...but it`s not...they miss bits out.
Just needs the edges rounding off ?
An analogy perhaps was when I heard M. Scorsese offer an opinion
on the old colour reel films and digital. He said the digital never feels used.
Vinyl might not be as user friendly but the sound is.
The only thing I prefer with cd is the play length.
They are even considering packaging cd`s with 12in record covers
for the art work.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/07/13 at 20:57:45

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but just got around to reading the linked article. I guess I had a different, less vociferous, reaction. While the author acknowledges his own bias, due largely to missing out on the previous vinyl age, he hardly calls vinyl [or other non-digital media] crap, let alone dead; and I sure didn't pick up a tone or whiff of a**hole from the article, just pragmatics. Seems to me he makes cogent arguments why vinyl is not the future of audiophilia. I don't agree with everything he says, but some of it is undeniable. Especially his discussions of market forces and numbers. And the numbers [market and revenue] don't lie. And neither do some of the numbers—dynamic range, for example—that do relate to sound quality.

I think he is right on a number of fronts, but sorely mistaken if he is hopeful that the producers of mass market digital will somehow drive a quality renaissance. Much as I might like the idea of 384k/32-bit iTunes downloads, it's not likely any time soon, and the people desiring it are few in number. Right now, we seem to be building a largely digital world, and a lot of the output of that world is pretty mediocre [check your dustbins, so was a lot of the vinyl output].

The criticism of SQ shortcomings does not, I believe lie with the medium in which digital information is transmitted; it goes right back to the quality of the recording itself and the mastering, as it pretty much always has [as several commenters on the article mention]. Media evolve and change. It is no surprise that during overlapping periods of predecessor and successor media, one form rarely arises immediately superior to the other. But I don't hear anyone waxing lyrical over the SQ of wax cylinders versus LPs these days. Eventually, more stable media, with more reliable reproduction and longevity, displace their predecessors in the market. Doesn't mean the predecessors disappear, only that they no longer occupy the apex.

Like Lon, I think we have a win-win situation right now, but long term, I find it very unlikely that vinyl will drive the next several plateaux of sound reproduction. There is only so much that can be squeezed out of those grooves, while the curve for digital still has a long way to go [if the producers will put the quality in on their end, and consumers demand it]. In fact, it's not vinyl or digital that will drive that; it will always be the artist and the consumer; same with tube vs. solid state; I loves me my Decware, but I am under no illusions that tubes are the wave of the future.

I suspect, long after I am gone, but perhaps while my children are still here, there won't be any ADC or DAC devices, because we will figure out true end-to-end digital spectra. Call me crazy, but I am one of those guys who thinks the world is not analog, but digital, that things like vinyl grooves and tape magnetic paths are poor metaphors for a digital reality. That life itself is digital. Check out this Scientific American piece. Started thinking that way when I did my first physics work in school and read my first Jack Chalker. But that doesn't keep me from enjoying my Decware or a first-rate vinyl rig when I get to hear one.

And if that makes some of us mad, well, imagine how the dinosaurs who survived the meteor impact felt.

P.S. RR, I love ya man, and while I agree that SACD was at some level a re-sell opportunity, and that both it and BluRay have robust copy protection, both formats offer significant audiophile and, in the latter case, videophile benefits. The amount of information those discs can store and reproduce is significantly greater than predecessor media. And in being that much closer to master digital, I have a hard time faulting them their copy protection. But well-recorded ones can be something very special.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 02/07/13 at 23:59:29

The best musical source for me is the one in my head. I just think of a song that I like and a smile appears on my face. On real good days I hum to myself.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/08/13 at 03:08:44

Donnie, I love it!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged