Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 20:46:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB: Decware Mini's DM945 (Read 6947 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

WTB: Decware Mini's DM945
12/14/12 at 00:54:42

anybody got a nice pair of 945's they want to part with?  

would also be interested in hearing any opinions or experiences of folks who have a pair, i.e. what you're driving them with, sources, config. room, etc.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: WTB: Decware Mini's DM945
Reply #1 - 12/14/12 at 04:57:16

Hey maddog07, check my signature and the last post on the DM945 thread in this forum.  You'll find my configuration and comments on my experience with these nice speakers.

My listening room is small to medium sized, assymetrical (unfortunately), but I've found the DM945's like to have plenty of space around them (away from constraining walls).  I strongly recommend placing them in monitor stands, well into the room, for better soundstage and imaging.

I complement the lower frequencies with an active (60W) Velodyne subwoofer, for the 65Hz and lower frequencies.  I take advantage of the Pre-Outs in my Mini Torii to feed the sub's line-level input, which imparts the Mini's sound signature and better playback synchronism at those lower frequencies.

The DM945's sound very good throughout the frequency range, except for just the lower frequencies, as their enclosure is not large enough to project sound depths under 65 Hz.

My speakers have the Mundorf Caps installed (instead of the std ones), and this should contribute to their nice performance.  Voices are great and strings sound real, natural.  I also love the woodwind instruments' timbre and tone.

I listen mostly to Bebop jazz and classical music, and I'm happy with the sound I get from my system.  The only caveat I have right now is a slight warmth that I'll be correcting with some tube-rolling.  I think my current weakest link is not the speakers or amp, but some fine-tuning involving vibration control/room conditioning and maybe a DAC upgrade.

I listen exclusively through USB-direct computer streaming, and I'm happy with the results.  Feel free to ask me anything else you would like to know about the DM945's, and I'll be happy to address those questions if I can.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Bryfinch
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/12 at 18:21:59

I have a pair of the DM 944's that I might be willing to part with.  I am using them with the Zen triode in a medium sized room (14 x 20).  They have a very balanced sound, non-fatiguing.  The soundstage with the Zen triode is huge, the vocals are very realistic, acoustic guitar and cello also sound remarkably good.  I am the second owner.  I can send pictures to your email if you like.  Condition is 7/10.  

The original owner broke the grill tabs, but I still have the grills (which are in excellent shape otherwise) and they can be secured with velcro tabs.  There are a few minor scratches on the side of one speaker, apparently the original owner had them lying on their side.  I cannot see the scratches unless I turn the speaker on the stand so that the side is facing forward.  You can email me directly at bryfinch@gmail.com.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 12/17/12 at 19:18:20

I'm really looking for 945's as that is what I heard at the Zenfest back in October - but thanks for the offer.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 12/17/12 at 19:45:07

maddog07

Essentially the exact same thing....same drivers same cap, only difference is the binding posts.  The 945's can be bi-wired or amp'ed.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #5 - 12/17/12 at 20:27:14

Zygi.. "essentially?" - is the box size, cabinet material, damping material, etc. all exactly the same?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 12/17/12 at 21:33:57

Yes exact same size....Grill on the older was held on with grill guides where as the newer version magnets. And all new are cherry rather than Oak or Black Oak.

In other words, what you heard at Decfest will be what you hear from the 944's

I'm not trying to sell them to you or for him, I'm just saying.....

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 12/18/12 at 01:33:30

Maddog,
I don't know if you know this, Zygi is the man who builds these speakers. He speaks the truth.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #8 - 12/18/12 at 15:05:11

Yes, I figured that out.  I actually met him at Zenfest this past Oct. I just didn't connect his username to his name for a bit.  Got it now - thanks.  I have been PM'ing with him a bit on this topic.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print