04/18/24 at 12:22:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Treble Control (Read 11214 times)
Dennis Webb
Ex Member

Treble Control
11/18/12 at 17:57:00

I just set up my new MiniTori and everything seems to work great.  But I cannot detect any difference in the output sound with the treble control switch on or off and the treble knob turned in either direction.  Is the treble control so subtle on this amp that it's that hard to hear it?

IP Logged
HPDJ

Re: Treble Control
Reply #1 - 11/18/12 at 18:32:51

something must be off...my tone control is definitely noticeable when engaged. When I flick the switch towards me as I'm in front of the amp, the tone knob is engaged and when I turn it clockwise, I hear it's effects more and more. A gentle smoothing of the top frequencies...

Play around with it some more, then give a call to the Decware folks to have them help you figure it out Smiley

IP Logged
Dennis Webb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/18/12 at 18:50:55

Okay, I'll play with it some more and listen carefully.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/18/12 at 19:41:06

I, too have a hard time discerning (remembering) what position on that switch is ON and then whether the knob turned clockwise or counterclockwise reduces the treble. You have to be in front of the unit with material that has high frequency to tell.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Don W

Reply #4 - 11/19/12 at 16:32:38

I've yet to hear a difference made by the treble switch either. I even talked to Steve about the possibility of the switch being broken somehow but he said that isn't really possible. I think possibly my DAC is just not sending those unwanted frequencies. Either that or I'm simply not able to hear them...

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/19/12 at 17:04:53

That's interesting. On my Torii Mk II and Mk III I can clearly, easily hear the treble reduction and I thank my lucky stars every day that I have this circuit in the amps! Same was true of my Integrated when i had that in use.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dennis Webb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/19/12 at 17:21:48

Maybe I'm not getting any excessive treble because of the characteristics of my two input sources:  a Jolida JD9 tube-based pre-amp and a Jolida tube-based CD player.  I'll try plugging my iPhone into the Mini Tori and see whether that produces some highs that can then be filtered noticeably.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/19/12 at 17:41:25

The other thing to try out is ask a female to listen and see if she can hear a difference. By nature I think they can hear higher frequencies. Found that out by doing a frequency sweep on a new pair of speakers I built. Dogs were howling and she came in yelling at me to stop what I was doing because it hurt her ears. She can hear 22K.  :)

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/19/12 at 23:03:13

The treble cut is only 'noticiable' on some music. It does cut the grunge on recordings that need it and I too hear no effect on recordings that are
done right. I also use an i-Pod as a source with Pandora One and MOG. The treble cut is often but not always needed. I have the dock in the link below and for the $$$ is is excellent.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1349613889

Dennis, enjoy your Mini. It will only get better....much better.

IP Logged
Dennis Webb
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/02/12 at 17:04:08

This posting is in reply to my original posting on this thread, and to all those who were kind enough to reply.

This morning, for the first time, I clearly heard how the Mini Tori softens the top end frequencies.  It's all a matter of what recording you are listening to.  I couldn't hear any effect of the treble control on my various CDs, but this morning I played a vinyl recording of Respighi's "Pines of Rome" conducted by Bernstein on Columbia.  There is a lot of shrill high end on this recording.  So I adjusted the treble, from one extreme to the other, and could clearly hear the difference at the top end.  And just for clarification, activation of the treble control occurs with the little switch pulled towards the front of the unit.

Thanks for your comments, all.

-Dennis Webb

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 12/02/12 at 17:37:03

Hey hey, it works! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print