Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 08:27:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Converging Tube-Rolling Procedure (Read 32070 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Converging Tube-Rolling Procedure
10/28/12 at 16:48:12

Hi all!  

Triggered by my mishap with the JJ EZ81, I'm about to embark in a relatively varied range tube-rolling in the Mini Torii.  Haven't done this ever, so I need some advice in relation to the procedure involved, to ensure I arrive to the proper conclusions after a rather large possible number of test combinations.

I need to test 2 different sets each of 6V6's (Tung Sol & Svetlana), a pair of RFT EZ80's, a pair of RFT EZ81's, a pair of Brimar 12aT7's, a pair of russian OC2's and a pair of Amperex DA3's.

I know (suspect) a single tube change may interact differently with the rest of the tubes, so the number of finite combinations is significant.

Complicating things even further, I need to be able to discern when a given combination under experiment is at a steady-state (settled in) condition in order for me to draw valid conclusions from that particular experiment set.

I don't know how you guys go about (I guess it involves experience over the long-run) selecting the different tube changing sequence, to ensure convergence into a rather convincing overall result in the end.

I've been made aware that the Brimar drivers have a particularly long break-in horizon.  This complicates things even further, as the drivers are an essential variable in any tube-rolling scheme.

If I were to start with the Brimar drivers, any other subsequent combination would have to wait a long time to be assessed.

Therefore, I was thinking on doing every other tube combination before dealing with the Brimars, in the end.  In other words, having selected the best possible tube set with the original drivers in place, use this same final result to test the Brimars.  

This way, even if the Brimars take a long time to settle in, at least once they do chances are this would become a definitive result (either Brimars or the original drivers would win), as the rest of the tubes would have been sorted out before.

Of course, the above proposal is not perfect, as theoretically one may find the Brimars may improve with some of the discarded combinations tested with the original drivers.  :-?  I could still do more testing after this final stage, just to make sure we rule out that possibility.

Am I complicating things here?  Am I making any sense? I just want to ensure finding what would be the virtually definitive tube set recipe for the Mini Torii in my own system.

I would also apreciate suggestions on the tube-type sequence to test (other than the Brimar's if you agreed with my earlier proposal), so that I can find the big changes early on.

Any corrections, suggestions and even funny remarks, are welcome.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Converging Tube-Rolling Procedure
Reply #1 - 10/28/12 at 19:14:56

I say just plug in something and enjoy the music.
Remember thet there is no such thing as perfection.
Good enough is good enough.
The downfall of man is too many choices.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/28/12 at 19:28:07

Donnie, that's sage advice.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 10/28/12 at 20:46:46

I understand how this may have conveyed a negative impression.   Smiley
But following a structured procedure to ensure better tube-rolling outcomes should not mean becoming obsessive.

I get the message, but I still need some pointers regarding best tube types' testing sequence.  Thanks for the advice.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 10/28/12 at 21:08:54

Please don't think that my answer was anything but something I just threw out there.
What I mean is don't get too caught up in finding perfection, it ain't there. No such thing exisists.
All this hobby is about is listening to music. I know that there is a Holy Grail out there that we all are chasing. Something that sounds like live music. I've never heard anything that even comes close to what live music sounds like to ME.
Just plug something in that makes sound come out of your speakers and chill out. It is is what it is. Have fun.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/12 at 23:26:02

Quote:
need to test 2 different sets each of 6V6's (Tung Sol & Svetlana), a pair of RFT EZ80's, a pair of RFT EZ81's, a pair of Brimar 12aT7's, a pair of russian OC2's and a pair of Amperex DA3's.

FB,

The thing is to get a sense of each tube's sound over time. Even then, it will sound different depending on what it is with, sometimes being sublime, and others not even so good. So don't rule anything out until you have them all burned in and have played with synergy. Even a least favorite can be a great tuning tool if its character fits the set you have in.

And burn in can be a big deal, or more subtle depending on the tube...but if these are all true NOS tubes, they will all  take time to burn in. So Donnie's thought is not bad advice. You could just play around, one tube at a time...get a sense of it, and have fun.

But you have a lot of options all the sudden, and you have to be able to enjoy the sound.....waiting out burnin can be a drag if your sound is not what you like. So I might be a little more systematic at first, compensating for slight issues with one tube by adjusting with other tube(s).

If your Amperex OA3 is like mine, it will change a fair bit over the first 50 or more hours, slowly opening up. Even some OC2s can take time. Usually the obvious parts of the break in will go from dense with unresolved low-mid/bass to opener and more spacious for darker tubes, and from brittle and hard to smoother/ richer for brighter tubes. Actually, they will all act out both of these, but the more obvious stuff could be useful to know. My power tubes, EL34 tend to take the longest in my amp, especially the warmer ones. Seems like rectifiers and inputs are a little variable, but most of your non-power tubes might be somewhat ironed out in 50 or so hours...unless you are lucky and they are a little used!!!

Where to start...Obviously you need to get some rectifiers in there. So I would start with your favorite of those. Try one with your normal tubes, letting it get good and warmed up before evaluting, and then try the other. Then leave the fav in for a while to burn in...

I almost always end up playing with bass and treble on the torii with tube changes...sometimes a fair bit....that last refinement that could make a tube that sounds not-so good, sound great.

The 12AT7 likely will be a bigger change than any if you were using 12AU7s. It will punch things up. So it might be worth checking out next.

The Russian OA3s are typically very clear sounding....If this is true with the OC2, this will give another sound option for brightening/clarifying if this is appropriate to what you want with the other tubes.

This might be a good option when you check out the power tubes....if you like one or the other, but it is too heavy, play with the OC2s, OA3s, or rectifiers to open it up. Or just hang with your current power tubes for a while...

The main thing is to get to know your tubes and in time, you may well use all of them in different arrangements. And if yo are like me, this will be an organic process. I have no idea of my favorite tue sets...It is just the one that is in there. And I think it is fun to change things up discovering new synergy I did not know i had!

By the way...I have been pretty close to the holy grail by my tastes for quite a while...the cool thing is that I can vary it with tubes, caps and/or cable changes! The grail is flexible in my system/room.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/29/12 at 01:02:22

David, both will and Donnie are giving you good advice, and showing that you should find your own way.

The thing that took me a while to grasp is as Donnie points out there are no absolutes, different tubes of different brands and types in different circuits and different systems are going to sound a bit different, and the only "perfect" sound is the one that pleases you.

I go a bit batty in all these uncertainties and burn in times and subtle differences and I over the last two decades have developed this system: I find an input tube that really works for me and most of the material I listen to using mostly stock tubes otherwise. Then I find the rectifier that works best with that input tube. That's my "anchor." From there over time I'll experiment with power tubes and if the component has them voltage regulation tubes. When I get to a combination that really works for me, I generally stop for a long time and just listen.

There's no right or wrong way, I think you'll find your path slowly and surely. I recommend slowly and surely as a good methodology. Oddly enough in the case of the Torii and the CSP2+ that are the Decware amps in use in my main system I've found Steve's supplied tube types to be the ones I've decided on. I've moved to different brands in most tube positions, but kept the tube types as shipped, which I believe are the "designed" tubes in these cases.

After I find the input tube to "anchor" I find that the biggest differences can be found by rolling rectifiers. When I hit one I like I generally stop because I'm really not crazy about tube rolling once I find a set I like.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 10/29/12 at 02:34:09

Will and Lon,

Just to clarify: The Amperex regulator is an OD3 not an OA3 (the stock regulator in the Mini is an OA3.)  Also, all these intended tubes are current production, not NOS.

In addition, I have never implied (nor imagined it existed), a perfect tube-rolling system or an absolute perfect set of tubes.  I was just aiming at some systematic approach to accomplish the objective in the best possible manner given the high level of combined uncertainties involved.  This is called a 'procedure,' and we apply this notion tacitly to most activities in our lives to help us cope with interactive or complex tasks.

I understand your points, and the key obviously is 'time.' The best approach would be to try one at a time, for long periods of time, or something along those lines.  Will, I agree with you, in the end some trial-and-error will help me find my own way around this rolling process.

Yes, the rectifiers need go first, and I will try them with the stock tubes, first the RFT EZ81 (same specs as stock) then the lower current RFT EZ80.  Next would be the Brimar 12aT7 with the stock tubes and RFT EZ81, then with the RFT EZ80.

Eventually, I will try the output tubes, one at a time, following this same routine, and finally the voltage regulators.  Considering the in-series break-in periods involved, this will take forever and a day (to quote Les  :) ), but should be fun and worth it.

Lon, you're right: Anchoring with drivers makes sense to me too.  I just need to start with rectifiers, for obvious reasons, but those are next, as described earlier.  I also intuitively follow your sequence hierarchies by tube type.

I think now I get the big picture.  It was a little fuzzy for me before this discussion.  I thank you both for the orientation.   Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #8 - 10/29/12 at 03:23:41

Here's the "procedure" I use for tube rolling NOS tubes in tube amps.

1. Burn in
24 hrs burn in heater filament only
Followed by
24 hrs burn in with audio signal eg Hagerman's fry baby

50 hrs + burn in will help settle down most valves.
You will get the main sonic signature that way.
Any further sonic refinements shouldn't affect your final choice that much.

2. Input tubes

According to Kevin deal of Upscale Audio, the input tubes have the greatest influence on your sonic signature.

I agree with this from experience.

3. Rectifiers

These affect the operating voltage/ current of all your tubes including input tubes.

So I agree that you need to "lock in" your rectifiers and input tubes.

4. Keep an open mind
Tube synergy is a real concept.

And have fun:)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/29/12 at 03:28:09

Sorry Lord...crossed in the ethers...

FB, Every tube effects the whole sound. You might enjoy looking at how this works. If I have it right it is like this:

The Rectifier is first, turning the transformer power to DC to power the rest of the tubes. Big player.

The OC2 regulates and effects the sound of the input tube, both by voltage and filtering through the VR.

The input tube then goes through coupling caps to the power tubes...setting up the sound the power tubes have to work with.

The OA3/OB3/OC3/OD3 regulate/filter the Power tubes, again effecting the sound of the power tubes...giving different power to the power tubes and filtering the electricity with their own signature.

Then the power tubes receive input from all of the above, AND impart their own sound signature as well.

So it is a matrix of directional interactions...

No tube is in isolation from the others. Playing with this is how subtle magnificence can be found with just the right synergy for your tastes.

You can see that changing any tube will change the whole....then the "anchor" we arrive at (if we arrive at one) we formulate for ourselves based on own comfort level, desires and personal exploration.

For me, I seem to leave the Power tubes alone mostly, and I almost never change the OC2s..but that is about it. I have a number of inputs I really love for different reasons, and they all can have beautiful synergy, so there is no "anchor" there for me. Then...changing the input, since they all have different characters and tonal balance, almost always sets up the desire for playing with the power VR or the rectifier, or both...tuning the bass/density/brightness/warmth/texture to bring out the best of the input...

So I am glad you have and OD3 to play with...It is likely to lean down the sound a fair bit over the OA3 and give you a good sense of what can be done with the OB3 and OC3 who's voltage is between these two. The slight variation in your Rectifiers might be a great tool too for tuning a tube set....one perhaps a bit bigger and pushier and one a little more low key all else being equal (unlikely).

As Lon says...you will find your own way. I just hope it is fun!

Wow, I did not know Brinmar, RFT or Amperex were still making tubes....

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 10/29/12 at 12:25:37

Lord Soth,

I like your methodology, makes sense.  When you say 'burn in heater filament only' (first 24 hrs), you mean having the amp on without any playing, correct?  

Thanks for sharing this.

Will,

Got it.  Nice description.  Earlier I said all these tubes were new production.  I meant all of them are NOS, except the re-issues Tung Sol 6V6's.  Sorry!

Thanks for the tips.  This whole process sounds exciting, like looking for a hidden treasure  ...   Smiley  Now I need to wait for this set to get here and start my adventure.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 10/29/12 at 14:45:20

David,

In your shoes I would definitely consider rolling a 12AU7 tube. In every Decware component where I could use a 12AT7, I've never preferred its signature and sound to a 12AU7 in the same component. Could be just a personal thing, but it could be a shared thing too. Smiley

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #12 - 10/29/12 at 15:25:41

Hi FB

Yes. I tube condition my NOS tubes by 1st leaving it in the tube amp for 24 hrs straight without any audio input.

The next 24 hrs then has audio input to exercise the tube grids.

BTW, I learnt this method of tube conditioning from a tube veteran who worked at the famous Western Electric tube company. This is his recommended method.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #13 - 10/29/12 at 15:31:39

Lon,

Right.  For some reason, Steve included the 6N1P-Ev (this last connotation refers to the heavy-duty military version of the 6N1P), as a stock driver in my Mini Torii, instead of the original 12AU7.

I've read literature about differences, and they are not even that close, at least not interchangeable, normally (funny).  For one thing, the 6N1P draws more heater current than the 12AU7.

I also came across this reference post from another forum (audiocircle) about the 12AU7:

"I don't mean to be combatitive, but the 12au7 is one of the highest distortion tubes in extant (and not just pleasing low order, but substantial high order distortion as well), at least amongst those used in audio, while the 6N1P is quite linear (low distortion).   All the reports I've read about the Chinese 6N1Ps haven't been kind in terms of reliability while the soviet era 6N1P-ev's are suppose to be bullet proof"

Now this may be an extreme position, but maybe there's some reason behind Steve's decision of replacing the 12AU7 in the Mini.  I was surprised when I realized my Mini had the 6N1P (upon receiving it) instead of the 12AU7, since Steve had suggested to first try the 12AU7 in the Mini due to its lower gains.

The reason why I'll be trying the 12AT7 this time around is because Les Lammers has had a good experience in his Mini with the NOS Brimars.  On the other hand, you may be right, as these things are so subjective.

I may eventually also try the 12AU7, but not for now.  There are many possible combinations and such limited resources.   Smiley  Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 10/29/12 at 15:44:22

Hi! Lord Soth:

I see, that's what I thought.  Also, good to have the tube veteran's endorsement.  

I have the Esoteric Isotek Full System Enhancer & Rejuvenation Disc, that I could leave on for the second 24 hrs stage, to 'exercise' the grids (as you put it).  It is supposed to be also good for the speakers when these have not been in use for a while (go figure).

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/29/12 at 15:53:11

Because prints can hard to read-disappeared I number all of my tubes with a small square of sticky label, then enter details into a tube log.
I give tubes a decent run, maybe a couple of weeks ,2-3 hours, a day, and it`s not until that thought occurs that I decide with my own logic to have a swop round, even though tubes may not be fully burned in, or I am enjoying what I`m hearing.
Not the most scientic approach I agree,..but fun and the knoledge that you still have "that tube/s" in your locker.
 Syd.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/29/12 at 16:05:43

I prefer the 12AT7s in my Zstage over 12AU7, particularly I like two early 60s Brinmar and a 50's Siemens with a square getter. The 6N1P, 6922, 6DJ8 type tubes are way too heavy handed for me in the Zstage. It will be interesting to see how you like the 12AT7...I expect that to be a big change.

Fun on the horizon!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 10/29/12 at 16:16:34

The web site says that 12AU7 is the designed tube. It's very interesting that you have a 6N1P (love that tube type as well) as I haven't found them to be interchangeable in any circuit I've had. So I wonder if your amp is wired differently to accommodate the 6N1P. Curious! I hope the 12AT7 will work.

I personally haven't encountered distortion problems with the 12AU7. In the places I currently use them (DEC685 and ZBox) the 12AT7 has far too much gain and the sound is far too bright and forward for my tastes.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #18 - 10/29/12 at 16:20:10

Thanks for sharing those thoughts, Syd.  

That sounds about 50 hrs of settlement, consistent with what has been indicated in this forum as the expected basic break-in horizon.

It definitely must help to have documented reference on your tube findings.  After all, I imagine rolling several in sequence (with the respective burning periods) ought to create some confusion due to their interactions (aside from worn label printings).

I'll take advantage of your suggestions, thanks.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #19 - 10/29/12 at 16:28:21

Will,

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the experience.  Who nows how those input Brimars are going to behave with the rest of my rig, but at least there are consistent positive reports on them, and one in particular (Les's) as it is on the same amp's context.

The Brimars I'm getting are also from 50's-60's England.  I'll let you guys know how I like them.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #20 - 10/29/12 at 16:38:36

Lon,

That is one of my concerns.  I would not have decided to get them due to the highish gain reasons you indicate (also as per Steve's comments).  But I had this positive feedback, and the tubes were readily available, so I felt like giving them a try.

Sometimes the brand and build quality make major differences, as I've read, so a first-hand relevant positive testimony was hard to ignore.

I wish Steve would shed some light on the reasons behind the 6N1P-Ev in the Mini driver's seat (pun intended!).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 10/29/12 at 17:01:30

Sure, brand and build can make a difference, but if they're in spec, gain is gain. Anyway, like you I'd be interested to hear Steve's take on this. I know 12AT7 would work if 12AU7 is the tube the circuit was designed for. . . but 6N1P? Would seem too much gain.  I know the reverse is true, if a circuit is designed for 6N1P types, 12A types don't work.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/29/12 at 17:57:48

Quote:
That is one of my concerns.  I would not have decided to get them due to the highish gain reasons you indicate (also as per Steve's comments).  But I had this positive feedback, and the tubes were readily available, so I felt like giving them a try.

I think you will be fine FB. When you listen to the Brinmars you will know.

I originally thought you would have been using 12AU7s, but since you are using 6N1P, and as you say, the individual tube makes a big difference in terms of how the sound is presented and feels....but generally my guess is that the Brinmar 12AT7 will open things up a bit in the low mids and tighten the bass...perhaps meeting your previous idea of where you wanted your sound to go.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #23 - 10/29/12 at 19:01:42

Will, I hope you're right.  That's part of what I'm looking for with this rolling thing:  Openness, more air (les density) and transparency, to compensate for a current sound a bit on the warm side.

I'd probably have to find the best (among the available tubes on hand, that is) rectifier partner for these Brimars.  Then, I can still play with the OD3 output regulator tubes, which are supposed to also open up a bit.

Finally, I expect to give those Svetlana's and Tung Sol's a chance to show what they can do in this stew.  I'm assuming I won't be challenging the existing circuit design with the various slight deviations in specs involved, especially with the Brimars (gain) and the EZ80's (90 mA vs 150 mA).

Seems not unlike a cooking recipe or chemical formula, just stash in the ingredients, let them cook and give it a taste to correct excesses.  If it does not work, change the recipe and start over ...  ;)

IP Logged
judy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/01/12 at 09:24:20

great  ;D

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 11/02/12 at 00:16:33

"Finally, I expect to give those Svetlana's and Tung Sol's a chance to show what they can do in this stew.  I'm assuming I won't be challenging the existing circuit design with the various slight deviations in specs involved, especially with the Brimars (gain) and the EZ80's (90 mA vs 150 mA).

Seems not unlike a cooking recipe or chemical formula, just stash in the ingredients, let them cook and give it a taste to correct excesses.  If it does not work, change the recipe and start over ...  ;)"

David,

I would burn in the Brimars with the Russian 6V6's, OA2's and the OD3. Do not listen critically...think low volume elevator music. Give them 50 hours. Swap the EZ80's and EZ81's occasionally during the above. Once the Brimars open up...experiment with the rest of the tubes and tell us what you think.

Have fun,

Les

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #26 - 11/02/12 at 00:47:06

Hey Les,

Your proposed method ensures the fastest break-in period as all would be cooking at the same time.  Since the Brimars take the longest, by the time they are ready all will.  Makes sense.

I thought I would go one at a time, starting with the rectifiers while still able to listen to some real music, but you're right.  It's the fastest path to start the experiment.  The first 24 hrs will be just iddle filament heating, and then on with 'offensive-sounding' music playing.

Can I just leave the thing going on 24/7 or should I apply the 5 hrs on and 5 hrs off rule?  It would be a lot faster just leaving it on 'repeat' or something (at low volumes), if it won't damage anything.   What's the ideal volume setting in this period?

Thanks for the suggestion.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/03/12 at 00:59:27

Dave,

I would leave the amp on when you are home and turn it off when you leave or go to bed.

Les

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/03/12 at 02:09:33

FireBlade,

To me Lord Soth's 24 hour run without music makes some sense on a new tube (though N in NOS means new, apparently, many tubes called NOS may not be brand new) ... running hot for this period might cause the metals and glass to work into their proper alignments and relationships.

Then, it seems most say that music is necessary to burn them in...leaving them on without music, mainly just putting life on them.

I can't quite imagine the 5 on 5 off thing being as beneficial for tubes as caps, but seems flexing the materials, expanding and contracting, and vibrating into their new role...on and off could make sense in burn in. I really can't say. But Les' idea of having the amp on in the day and off at night would do this if it is beneficial.

In my experience, Rectifiers and VRs tend to burn in faster and not have as bad a nature before burn in as inputs and power tubes can. And some inputs and even power tubes are not even that bad after 5-10 hours. Some are worse, as Les says your Brimars are. In my experience warmer tubes tend to be harder to get to open up.

I find Power tubes the worst, taking anywhere from 90-300 hours to really come in, again, the warmer tubes taking longer to show their detail qualities in a smooth and complete way, generally working from the top down, the bass resolution coming last. But these are EL34s, and I don't know how this relates to the MT power tubes.

The reason I talk about all this is that it might help with your tube play strategy. One point being, some tube types, and also some individual tubes, especially brighter ones, can sound tolerably good pretty fast, finally getting refined with time.

And the other point...with the right tube set combination/synergy, you can get really OK sound with even two or three newish tube pairs.

You will feel it out, but burnin will likely not be bad, and even quite good if you play your combinations well.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #29 - 11/03/12 at 04:24:20

Les,

I agree, also because it's plain safer, isn't it? So long as it doesn't harm anything, I'll keep it working for long periods at a time.  Thanks!

Will,

I see your points.  I was resigned to not being able to listen to 'real' music until break-in, but as you say, there may be ways to circumvent this.  The point is, though, I need to pair the new drivers to the new rectifiers from the start, and apparently (as pointed by Les), those Brimars are hard to 'cook.'

So, at least for the first week to ten days, I won't be able to enjoy the music.  After that, it will depend on how fast the new russian output tubes team up with the new rectifiers and regulators, to maybe make music somewhat more tolerable in spite of the still raw Brimars .  We'll see.

Thanks to both of you for the valid input and interest.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/03/12 at 05:15:30

So were you unable to enjoy the music for the first week or ten days when you first got your amp? Then you had to burn in not just all new tubes, but also all new caps, transformers, wires, resisters, knobs, jacks....the lot.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 11/03/12 at 17:15:23

I have to stress that the Brimars will sound awful until they settle in. Be patient. The Russian 6V6's have a few hours on them and they may not be fully settled in but they should be when the Brimars start to make music.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #32 - 11/06/12 at 18:20:32

Hi Will & Les!

Will, the thing is, we are probably spoiled by now and having to accept less SQ is going to take patience.  I'm just predicting my rig won't sound as nice during this new break-in horizon, as it had been after the initial one (lately, that is), although I guess I can still enjoy the music.  

I know you've warned me about those Brimars before, Les.  So I'm figuring they really must be terrible initially.  I'll use the russian 6V6's first and take advantage of their semi-settled status.  Once the whole set is broken-in, I'm going on with the Tung Sols break-in phase.

I'm also curious to see what differences come about from the EZ80's rectifiers instead of the stock EZ81's.  Same with OA2's and OD3's voltage regulators instead of the stock OA3's.

Thanks for your interest, guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print