Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 21:25:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3 Channel Stereo and Ol' Blue Eyes (Read 4438 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

3 Channel Stereo and Ol' Blue Eyes
10/26/12 at 05:21:34

Hey guys I found a cool picture of Frank sporting a 3 channel setup (looks to be a McIntosh Preamp back there which I believe some older units had a center channel made for that type of thing).

And that got me to doing a little research and I read about how most productions from the 1950s to quite a bit into the 60s were recorded in 3-track as developers were hoping to correct certain deficiencies within 2 channel stereo for best performance.  

I was then reading about Magnepans Tri-Center Theory http://www.magnepan.com/tri-center

I know there are a few different ways to supposedly get there such as plain old wiring to link the two negatives of the outer pair of speakers and provide the negative return to the amps via a third centre speaker (in series) thus achieving a mono centre and then there are processers that do this as well.

Has anybody tried one of these setups and/or do you have any pointers for properly executing it?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: 3 Channel Stereo and Ol' Blue Eyes
Reply #1 - 10/26/12 at 11:56:09

So Frank was an audiophile. Was that in Palm Springs or L.A.?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 10/26/12 at 12:03:39

I have a "Stereo Handbook" from 1959 that even shows a subwoofer and sattelite speaker setup--there's little new under the stereo sun!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/26/12 at 15:11:37

On SS gear, you can 'hot-wire' a center speaker by taking the two plus terminals of your fronts, and hooking them up to a speaker for the center... As such, you'll only have the difference in signal between the left and right coming out the center... I believe the center speaker has to be a higher impedance... Like 16 ohms...

Note: Need to verfiy this... It's been awhile since I've seen it, really... (m.)

Added: Here's a set-up that hot-wires two speakers into a stereo system:

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/26/12 at 15:24:40

Here's the whole article: http://kantack.com/surround/surround2.html

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print