04/29/24 at 16:05:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with buzz. (Read 5119 times)
setamp
Verified Member

Need help with buzz.
10/24/12 at 16:46:37

I hear an annoying buzz through my headphones coming from the combination of CSP2+ and Taboo.  This is what I have found so far.

1.  With only the Taboo plugged in and no RCA connections there is no buzz.

2.  With the CSP2+ connected with RCA interconnect and no power cord attached to the CSP2+ there is no buzz.

3.  Attach a power cord to the CSP2+ and I get the buzz.

a.  The buzz increases and decreases with the volume control on the Taboo.
b.  I tried other interconnects and power cords and still get the buzz.
c.  I swapped all tubes except the driver tubes on the Taboo and have cleaned all pins with de-oxit.
d.  I plugged both components into the same wall outlet.  I also plugged both into an Uberbuss and even moved to another room and tried another wall socket.  No luck.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Re: Need help with buzz.
Reply #1 - 10/24/12 at 20:32:34

If I plug my headphones into the CSP2+ I get no buzz whether the Taboo is connected or not.

I have tried other headphones and they buzz as well.

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/12 at 15:54:10

This is really odd.  I sat down to listen to music this am, turned on my equipment and heard my usual buzz.  I let it warm up for 20 mins or so and listened for about an hour.  The buzz was really annoying and was definitely interfering with my listening session.  After another hour, I noticed how good things were sounding.  I was getting really good detail and separation.  A song ended and I realized the buzz was gone.  

This leads me to believe either the power tubes are going bad (they are the only tubes I haven't replaced) or there is something in my house that turned off (refrigerator?) and stopped the buzz.  I use an Uberbuss and though that would rule out appliance noise but perhaps not.

One other question for Taboo owners.  I just realized my volume control affects but the fixed and the variable inputs.  Is this normal?  I thought the fixed in's bypassed the attenuator.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/27/12 at 16:49:35

Setamp.

Sounds like ground...if you put your hand on it and it gets worse...but the culprit????

I don't recall your saying if the Taboo by itself has the buzz. If the pre is quiet, then by hooking it up and therefore by upping the source voltage to the Taboo, the buzz is worse....this sure could be the Taboo noise amplified. I suppose your idea of the power tubes could make sense...that after a certain level of warmup/expansion, the tube resolves a weak connection???

The question is, is it in both channels? If it isn't, have you switched the power tubes side to side? This would identify the bad tube if it is one side only. If it is in both channels, it may be a tube common to both channels, which you have a number of with your setup, but it sounds more specifically the Taboo since the CSP2+ is quiet...have you swapped all of the common tubes... rectifiers front inputs.

Can you listen to only the Taboo for trouble shooting and roll common tubes.

Or this anomaly could happen with the internal part issues I suppose.

I think the Uber should solve house noise too, but why not email or call Dave and ask him about the Uber....he may have tips for trouble shooting.

Then I would just call Steve Monday AM if you haven't figured it out by then.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/12 at 20:45:55

I think I have tried everything and feel comfortable calling Steve on Monday.  It is not the power tubes.  It's in both channels in or out of lucid mode and with only 1 rca input connected.  

I plugged the taboo directly into my dac output and there was no buzz.  CSP2+ to the Taboo returns the buzz.

Looks like I'll be returning 1 of the units next week  :'(

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/12 at 22:19:09

I had those exact symptoms with a bad rectifier. It would come and go and sometimes even buzz in time with the music. Freaky. This was on my new Taboo, Steve replaced the bad tube fast and free.

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print