Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 17:30:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE34I.32 1 Decware Zen Triode Integrated (Read 16141 times)
CK722
Seasoned Member

SE34I.32 1 Decware Zen Triode Integrated
10/24/12 at 14:42:58

Only two days old. The amp looks and sounds wonderful. I bought this amp to use for my center channel but even bridged for 12 watts I don't think it has quite enough power to keep up with my Torii MKII. It is so close but in the long run I don't think I will be happy with it for home theater. I have used it for about two hours. No 12 week wait and you save some money. Below is the config I purchased. It will come with the stock tubes. Price is frim at $1,200 + shipping and I will split the paypal fees with the buyer. Unit will ship from 64118 zip code.

Thanks for looking,

Steve A.

SE34I.32 1 Decware Zen Triode Integrated $1,449.00 amplifier 6 watts Configuration 2 - Single pair of input jacks - one volume control Select Voltage: 110/120 Volts Wood Base: Black Figured Base Tube Compliment: Ship with tubes 6N2P Option: No additional tubes Treasures: No additional output tubes Volume Control: 20 position gold contact stepped attenuator - adds $100 Outputs: No line level outputs Signal Capacitors: Decware's Audiophile signal capacitors Knob: Ebony Knob.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE34I.32 1 Decware Zen Triode Integrated
Reply #1 - 10/24/12 at 15:15:59

Have you tried it with 6N1P tubes? Should give you a healthy dollop of more headroom. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/24/12 at 17:11:43

Thanks Lon. I sure did, I purchased it with tubes and that is what it came with. I even tried the 6N2P. I don't think my input gain is the problem because I am clipping the amp. It's sad too because it is so close. If it had another 5 watts I think it would be perfect for my application. Although my speakers have a high SPL, I have a feeling they are a part of the problem. Its close enough I might get used to it but I would rather sell it to someone while it is brand new, then mess with it later and probably not recoup as much of my money back. I would send it back to Decware - restock fee but Decware has been good to me and I would rather not do that.  Especially if someone is interested now, they would not need to wait for theirs to be built.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/24/12 at 18:20:44

Understood Roy, I just saw it said 6N2P in the description and I know that though these impart a lovely lush sound they do drop the headroom in comparison to a 6N1P (at least in the amps I owned, a .2 and a pair of monoblock EL34 Steve no longer makes). If you were that close with the 6N2Ps I wanted to be sure you tried the 6N1P.

I bet someone scoops this up because as you say. . .no waiting! Smiley Best of luck with the sale, and a replacement amp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/12 at 19:55:02

I see what you mean. I think it means I did not purchase the 6N2P that was another option. I did buy it with the stock tubes. It's too bad Steve does not make a mono Torii. It's probably not worth it to him because I doubt too many people would be interested.But a 25 watt single channel Torii would be perfect for a center channel.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/24/12 at 19:58:58

Interesting. I wonder if he would build you ONE of the new Torii Monos. Or would bridge a Torii Mk III for you. It's worth inquiring with Steve about. To be honest, nearly every time I've asked Steve if he could do something I've wanted with an amp I was interested in, turned out he can.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/25/12 at 09:18:36

This is a great price, I would jump on this if I didn't need the extra inputs!

Good luck with your sale!

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #7 - 10/25/12 at 17:47:20

This is interesting Roy! I just received a new Super Zen and I'm tanking out at the 1 o'clock position.  Just completed my 5 on cycles (yes, I did the alarm clock thing inthe middle of the night to turn the amp on and off lol). Funny thing is, the sound level is slightly below my normal listening level at that position.  Further turns on the volume only produced distortion ( the "singing through the fan" effect!) with no appreciable volume increase.  One song (with heavy drum and kettle strikes) I played on Monday sounded almost close to my normal volume.  Now it is signficantly quieter at the sme postition, with distortion at higher levels.  This may be a function of the break-in..not sure  All other cds/songs I played are consistedly at the the lower level.  I had a new Decware amp many years ago but I dont recalll volume being a break-in issue. My speakers are 98db/8ohm Tekton Lores. Last time I had a Decware amp was a Select matched with a 98db Klipsch Forte (which is listed at 8 ohms but supposedly spends a lot of time around the 4 ohm impedance.) I'm going to give mine much more time

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/26/12 at 01:26:45

Thanks guys. It's very disappointing because my center sounds awesome with this amp when I am not clipping too much. If it only had 10 more watts or so it would be perfect. I am using this amp with a Klipsch RC-64 II rated at 99dB @ 2.83V / 1m / 8 ohm. I know Klipsch rates it with a high SPL but I think between the 4 LF loudspeakers, horn and passive crossover, that my SE34I.32 simply can't provide enough power. I might hook one channel of my Torii MKII to my center speaker and see what happens. I did hook the SE up to my RF-7's. It sounded very good but the difference between 6 watts p/ch and my 25 watts p/ch Torri are night and day. I probably listen at higher levels than most people. I guess if it does not sell I could learn to live with it for movies. I will have to play with it some more.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/26/12 at 06:02:11

Don't know if you guys have tried them, but compared to the 6N1P, I get a lot more volume from my MkIII without clipping with a 6922, 6DJ8, or 7DJ8.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
jefield
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/27/12 at 15:22:14

Need!

IP Logged
jefield
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/27/12 at 15:24:13

Five!

IP Logged
jefield
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/27/12 at 15:25:59

Posts!

IP Logged
jefield
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/27/12 at 15:27:22

To!

IP Logged
jefield
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 10/27/12 at 15:29:33

PM!

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/28/12 at 21:01:34

I doubt I will go much lower, if any, but priced dropped to $1,200 and I will cover shipping to most States and Paypal fees. I will post on Audiogon later this week if I don’t make a sale here. Thanks!

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/02/12 at 06:12:17

Amp  sold.

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/06/12 at 23:44:58

As it turns out, my amp was one of the earlier units that were wired a bit differently, so the instructions did not match this amp how to properly bridge it into one channel.  I was already working a deal with a guy so I went through with the sale. However right before I shipped it off, I did successfully bridge the amp and it probably would have been just enough power for my center channel.  

My experiences has brought me to the conclusion that up until about 20 -30 watts, every +3db in amplifier gain really shows up on the output. Past that, the differences in power are not even close. That is, comparing with equivalent efficiently speakers.  When Steve D. says the Torii MK II is a pretty ballsy 25 watt per channel amplifier, it’s not marketing hype, it is ballsy. Going from 6 to 12 watts on the SE34I.3 made a huge difference. Going from my 60 watt KT-88 amp to my 25 watt Torii shows little difference in needed head room or listing level. My speakers are rated 102dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter.  However I think that can be deceiving because I have heard speakers rated less, that when fed equivalent power, sound as loud. I have no clue how they rate them rather it be pink noise, 1 khz, etc. but when Steve talks about the speakers impedance curve it make perfect sense. Some say that my series of Klipsch don’t come alive until they have a couple hundred watts at their disposal. I will say that they did not come alive with this amp at 6 watts per channel, they do with my Torii, but when bridged with my center channel that has about the same efficiency this amp really started to wake it up. I wish that I would have had the time to see what this amp sounded like bridged into one of my Left or Right speakers.  Two of these bridged for a two channel set up might be something special with the right speakers. I know the gentlemen that bought this from me is absolutely loving it.  

IP Logged
jefield
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/21/12 at 03:52:38

Hello,

I am the guy who has become the lucky new owner of this extraordinary amp. I was running it with stock tubes for a bit to get a sense of the sound. It amazed me. I had previously been running a Zen with the EX mods and V-Caps, so I had a sense of what to expect of the Decware sound, but I was surprised by the differences. The Zen can be a very unforgiving amp. The SE34I.3 just loves to play music.

Now, I have replaced the stock tubes with mid-60s Phillips/Siemens platinum 6922s, mid-70s Blackburn Mullard EL34s, and a Rogers branded Mullard 5AR4. What a difference! It sounds like a wholly new amplifier again in terms of resolution. The soundstage is enormous and the transients engulf me when I listen. I frequently find it hard to get up from my spot.

So, yes, I am loving it. If you are considering getting a SE34I.3, trust me: it is worth every penny.

Thanks again, Steve, for making this transaction happen.

Jon Eben

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 11/21/12 at 04:52:34

Jon,

I had the model before, the .2, and will agree, great amplifiers, stellar bang for buck deal!

Welcome, and stick about!

IP Logged
JeffS
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 12/02/12 at 19:09:03

Jon,
I'm also the very happy owner of a SE34I.3 which has been in my system for about two months.  I'd like to try the same tubes you mention.  Where did you purchase your tubes?  Most of my tube purchases in the past have been from Andy at Vintage Tube Services, and I'll contact him tomorrow, but just looking for other sources.

By the way, this amp replaced a very high cost 300B SET amp and to my ears sounds just as good.  In the interim I had a less expensive 45 amp that in some ways I preferred over the 300B amp but not quite enough power (sometimes).  I think I'm getting almost all the subtle detail and finesse of the 45 tube with the Rachel.  Got to love that!  

Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print