Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 14:01:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii + Audio Nirvana Super 10 is it enough? (Read 9713 times)
Clos1981
Ex Member

Mini Torii + Audio Nirvana Super 10 is it enough?
10/23/12 at 23:25:49

Im reposting this from the FAQ area, hope this is not an issue, just want to see if I can get more feedback.

Thanks to Fireblade and Les Lammes which have already posted a reply to my questions.

Anyways..

I'm thinking of purchasing a Zen Mini Torii in order to drive a pair of Audio Nirvana's cast frame 10" speakers in their "Monitor" design cabinets which are supposed to have a 99bd+ efficiency rating.

My only worry is that these speakers have an 8 ohms impedance and the Mini Torii is rated at 3.3W per channel @ 4ohms.

Does this mean that the Mini Torii will only push about 1.7W @ 8 ohms ?  

Will that be enough to power them to a decent level or should I go with the Zen Torii MK3?  Im on a tight budget so I would like to stick with the Mini Torri.

I listen to all types of music but mostly classic/modern rock, reggae and some hip hop.  The speakers will be placed in a living room at about 15 feet from the listening position.

I live outside the USA so getting the Mini Torri and then reseling it for a fair price if I decide to upgrade to the Torii Mk3 is basicaly out of the question.

Thanks in advance for the help.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Mini Torii + Audio Nirvana Super 10 is it enough?
Reply #1 - 10/23/12 at 23:37:36

A couple weeks ago at the Zen Fest I played a pair of Zen Open Baffle
speakers powered by a Mini Torii loud enough that people complained. The ZOB's are rated at 95 db at 8 ohms. I really don't think that you will have a problem.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 10/24/12 at 03:58:38

I can't speak to your exact combo, but I have a pair of Audio Nirvana Cast Frame 12" alnicos for a DIY project that's not quite done.  I have a SE34I.3(Rachael) that I intend to drive them with.  My cabinets, 5.6cf, are not quite done.  But I should be at a point where I can at least fire them up for a trial run in a week or so.  As soon as I try them out, I'll be able to tell you how the AN 12 Alnicos work on 6 watts in a huge room.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/12 at 12:18:12

I've had the 10"cast frame/ 2.8 's for about 4 years now and I'm just thrilled with them. all I use with them is the various zen amps se84c+, se84cs/z, and a super zen , cant see why you would need anymore power . any combination of Decware amp with these speaker is fantastic. I also use the ZCD200i with its 5volts gain makes things easier to drive..Make sure you allow enough time for breakin , cant enphasize that enough.......... BTW saved alot of money building my own 2.8 cabinets  2/3"ports

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 10/24/12 at 13:36:47

If I'm not mistaken, you need to double the power for every 3 Dbs increase in SPL.  Aplying this same principle, by cutting the amp's power in half (going from a theoretical 4 Ohms to your 8 Ohms), means the equivalent sensitivity of your speakers at 4 Ohms would drop from 99 to around 96 Dbs.

This is plenty of sensitivity for a Mini-Torii which has been specified for a minimum of 89 Dbs @ 4 Ohms.  I don't think you will have any power issues with the Mini.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Clos1981
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/10/12 at 04:56:58

Thanks for the info Fireblade.  Ive already placed my order for a Mini Torii hopefully Ill get it by late January.

On another topic, just by chance I clicked on your profile info to see where your located an it says Panama.  

By any chance are you in Panama City, Panama??  If so please PM me I would really like to get a chance to see your system in person if that's not a problem.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 11/30/12 at 00:58:17

Hey Carlos.  I'm sorry I missed this last post.  I clicked in your profile after I read your today's post on the MIni thread, and realized you had even requested something from me.  My apologies.  Sometimes posts get sunk after new ones come up and is easy to miss them.

Sure, the only issue is I'm currently missing one of my rectifiers and have been waiting for over a month now for a stash of tubes that are probably bottled up at customs.  I'm also waiting for a pair of rectifiers supposedly being rushed this way too, but so far no luck yet.

Once these arrive and I get the chance to burn them some, I'll be happy to show it to you.  I wish you could have listened to it before buying it, not because it is not a good purchase (it is), but to give you an idea of the sound and dynamics of this little guy.

I'll send you a PM as soon as I'm ready with the amp, to give you a demonstration.  Don't hesitate to ask me anything about it before that if you need.

David

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Robbls
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/05/12 at 08:48:54

A 747 was halfway across the Atlantic when the captain got on the loud speaker,

"Attention, passengers. We have lost one of our engines, but we can certainly

reach London with the three we have left. Unfortunately, we will arrive an hour

late as a r esult." Cheap Runescape Gold

Shortly thereafter, the passengers heard the captain's voice again, "Guess what,

folks. We just lost our third engine, but please be assured we can fly with only

one. We will now arrive in London three hours late."

MapleStory Mesos

At this point, one passenger became furious. "For Pete's sake," he shouted, "If we

lose another engine, we'll be up here all night!"

D3 Gold

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print