Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:00:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My final review on the DM945 Speakers (Read 16871 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

My final review on the DM945 Speakers
10/23/12 at 13:40:10

Hi all!  I thought I would better repeat here what was posted on another thread, about my experience with the wonderful DM945 speakers:

'Regarding the speakers, I have to say I really dig them.  They offer everything I was expecting from them, once they're broken-in and strategically placed in stands, well into your listening area.

They seem to prefer being at a certain minimum distance from adjacent walls and other obstacles (as most speakers do, so I would not recommend them for real bookshelf use or near walls).  The back-firing port holes use the surrounds to propagate and create part of that sonic envelop effect around them, even though they are definitely the direct (beam) sound-oriented type (as opposed to radial sound-oriented).

Just one observation:  I've tried different approaches to handle the lower frequencies, and so far I can attest to the fact that these babies definitely need an active Sub-Woofer for the 65-60 Hz, down.  When I mute my active Sub, the sound really suffers in most recordings, so it is a must, especially if you appreciate bass in your music.  

I'm not talking about harsh rock bass levels, but an enlivened baseline that enhances the rest of the harmonics and rythm involved in any musical playback. Bass in the DM945's is great, just not too deep.  With my Velodyne I get just that ideal combination, to the point where I can adjust the Sub's volume to match each particular selection profile.

Of course, everything I'm stating here is room conditions-dependent and reflect only my particular subjective experience and appraisal.  Having said that, I feel my observations are objective enough as to be used as a reference for other musical tastes and conditions.  

For one thing, although the woofer's size is significant, the enclosure is simply still limited for the bass to fully develop.  What is nice, again, is the quality of that baseline more than its depth, as the latter can always be fixed with a Sub.  I also think part of the quality of that lower frequency baseline stems also from the excellent Mini-Torii's pre-out signal feeding the Sub.

Mid-range and higher register extensions are just fine, so much so, that with 99.5% of my WAV files I never even consider the treble control (high freq. cut-off feature in the Mini-Torii).  Sound is never fatiguing nor edgy, and is neither warm nor cold, but very balanced indeed.

I am of the opinion that I now need to concentrate in improving my front-end sourcing.  There's too much of a difference still between well recorded material and more mundane studio jobs.  I mean, you can play something which rivals the best sound out there, and the next time around it may sound almost average, not as impressive.  I'm now sure it's neither the amp nor the speakers, but possibly my front-end.

It is very re-assuring to feel the rest of my gear is way up there with the best, just ready to tackle improved front-end signals to really shine to their best.  Both these speakers and my Mini-Torii have a lot more to show for, and I intend to provide them with the best sourcing I can afford.

I also need to improve my listening room and such, but I'm getting there gradually too.'   :).

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
bassdrop
Verified Member

Re: My final review on the DM945 Speakers
Reply #1 - 02/20/13 at 19:25:07

I need to have some smaller speakers for the living in room in my soon to be new house.  How are you running the sub- speaker level to take advantage of the crossover or as a pre-out and not high passing the DM945s?

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 02/20/13 at 23:28:52

I prefer the pre-out option. Although the mains are theoretically still carrying the full frequency spectrum, these speakers do not go that deep anyway.

you can still get cross-over-like effects through adjusting the Sub's volume level to match the particular selection you're playing if you choose the right frequency range for the Sub to contribute, in the first place.  Depending on your own system profile and room conditions, the typical Sub setting range starts at about 60-65 Hz with the DM945's.

The line-level (pre-out) option maintains the benefit of imparting an amp-consistent signature to those deep frequencies, without the hassle of binding-post overcrowding.

If you order these speakers, make sure you go for the Mundorf Supreme caps upgrade option.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 01/02/15 at 19:23:28

Fireblade - Still happy with your DM945's? Are you still using a sub with them? The 945/946's are one of the speakers I am looking at to pair with my Rachael. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print