Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 07:03:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
M-T's Running Temperature and input "attenuation" (Read 8060 times)
Hank
Verified Member

M-T's Running Temperature and input "attenuation"
10/02/12 at 20:00:10

Being homebound for a while, I'm getting a chance to run through my collection of 2000+ CD's. That means I'm running the amp from 2 to 5 hours a day.  By that time, the PT's are really hot, just a bit too hot to touch.  I'm running with Tung-Sol 6L6CG-STR's and 12AU7's with the stock rectifiers and VR's (0A3's and 0C2's).  Just asking if that's normal.

Running the M-T with  my CD deck, setting the volume levels for comfortable listening will be less than 20% of full range.  I used the CSP2 or my DIY Zenhead to control the input and get the M-T's volume range up to about half range.  Is this an acceptable work-around or am I defeating the amp's sonic capabilities?  My primary speakers are rated at 96dB 1W/1M single driver in bass-reflex cabinets.

Gotta say this amp sounds great, none the less.

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp; TABOO; CSP2; ZenHead; Mini TORII SE-X; SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Trapezium Desktop Speakers; Tekton 8.1en Speakers; Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: M-T's Running Temperature and input
Reply #1 - 10/02/12 at 20:09:41

Don't have an MT, but I don't really feel that the temperature will be an issue.

I would experiment "riding the gain" (have you seen Steve's ideas about this?) by varying the gain input level on the MT and the output of the CSP2. With some components I've preferred to add a little native compression to the sound by having the amp input lower, say 30 to 70 percent, and using higher output from the preamp. With my current sources for most I prefer to have my Torii all the way up and controlling my volume directly from the preamp. This seems to me to let the amp be all it can be, and the resulting open and wide sound is just right for me.

It's all about how it sounds . .. and with Decware amps we really have options!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: M-T's Running Temperature and input "attenuation"
Reply #2 - 10/03/12 at 01:31:58

The 6L6's are drawing a bit more current than the amplifier would like to see during an all day gig.  Going back to the 6V6 it is possible to run the amp 24/7.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Hank
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/03/12 at 01:46:41

Hi, Steve, Lon

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lon, using the M-T with the CSP2 as a pre-preamp, I set the M-T controls about 50% and adjust the listening level with the CSP2.  That seems to let the M-T's "punch" come through.

Regards,
Hank

Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/03/12 at 01:49:18

Cool! Whatever sounds best!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Hank
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/03/12 at 15:09:34

Steve suggests running the MT all day with 6L6's may be drawing a little more current than the amp likes.

If data sheets for compatible tubes  are available, what do I look for to avoid high current needs like the 6L6's?

Regards,
Hank

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/04/12 at 15:51:55

Hank,

FWIW, stick with 6V6's for extended listening sessions and you will be fine.

Les

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/04/12 at 22:49:03

If you really want to feel some heat stick some 6Y6's in there.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print