Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 18:00:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another ZTPRE question (Read 2609 times)
Audioqwest
Ex Member

Another ZTPRE question
09/22/12 at 18:03:51

I'm new here and had posted about a schematic, but I see now what the other person prior to me did. He simply eliminated the .47 caps and wired a Mundorf 4.0 direct to center position on the Bias switch, so there is no second choice of cap value. Easy enough to change back.
My new question is, what is the optimal cap, realizing all systems have a difference voice and there is no one solid answer. Is the .47 too extreme for clarity, is there another value in between stock that is more generally a good one, at least as a starting point? I am all about detail and dynamics, but not so much as to lose smoothness and hate the very hard edge.

Thanks

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Another ZTPRE question
Reply #1 - 09/22/12 at 23:26:45

Hi again,

The stock choice was a .47 and a 3.9mfd.  The bigger the cap, the lower the output impedance and often the better bass response.  Smaller values tend to be quicker with more upper range detail.  The two selections in the stock configuration were chosen to make sure someone hears the difference, therefor they are a bit extreme.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Audioqwest
Ex Member

Re: Another ZTPRE question
Reply #2 - 09/23/12 at 01:07:30

ok, thanks for that advice. I'll try a few in between and see what suits my setup best

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print