Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 18:16:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaving filaments on, but B+ off between sessions (Read 5270 times)
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Leaving filaments on, but B+ off between sessions
09/22/12 at 02:38:20

Can anyone tell me if it is generally better to just totally shut off my Torii amp when not using it, or just shutting off the B+ voltage, but leaving the filaments lit?

My early Torii has the B+ switches.  Does leaving the amp on, but B+ off when not listening have any effect on tube life vs just shutting down the amp?  I notice that from filaments on to great sound only takes a couple of minutes after adding the B+, but from dead cold to great sound might take a half-hour to an hour.

Any thought?

Modded Zen Torii Kit 0feedback Ferrari T.
-Current input fav: ITT Lorenz 6922 gold
Transport: Sony 685V modded using large Russian teflon caps on the DAC chip
Speakers: Massive Unity Horns
Subwoofer: WO32 Decware
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: Leaving filaments on, but B+ off between sessions
Reply #1 - 09/22/12 at 04:54:23

Welcome back Chas! I remember you from the original Forum when Lon had 2000+ posts (Lon you rule) and you had quite a few yourself..... .

Anyway, welcome back and I will let someone else that is better to answer your questions.   -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #2 - 09/22/12 at 05:26:13

Stone,

Delighted to hear from you again!  Yup, original forum. Those were the days.  Lon was always forum King -- some things never change.  :)

Gosh, I remember actually being one of the first to build a Zen Select kit and also one of the first to praise it to the skies.  Lots of fun tube rolling, cryo treating tubes and cables, etc.  Went through a few pretty pricey transports, too.  Nothing was better than my old Sony 685V taking the signal directly off the DAC chip using russian teflon caps.

Still a classical listener.  But now my youngest is quite the flutist and bassoonist.  He appreciates my fine system.  

Very much hoping all is well with you and yours and hoping to learn and share, per old times.  Yup, I did have alot of posts in the old days.  Maybe a few to add now, as well.

Thanks for welcoming me back!  ~Chas

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/12 at 12:44:45

Thats a question for Steve , however ,that switch does exist on your amp . The current ZCD200i leaves the tubes lit with the power switch off. As far as I know having 3 zen's of different vintage and a torii mkiii, they all turn the amps completely off. having the filaments on all the time I would think it  doesnt hurt ,if your like me that listens every day!!!

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #4 - 09/22/12 at 13:59:38

Good point, James.

And the CDP with tube output likely has the B+ on all the time (even though run very conservatively).

My Torii totally disengages the hot B+ from both input and output tubes, so just the filament voltage alone remains.  I don't see how leaving the filaments lit would be bad for the tubes unless you don't plan on listening for a week or something.  

Keeping the filaments lit may even make tubes last LONGER than full shutdown/start-up each day or week, etc.  as the tubes do not go through thermal shock.  I noticed the input tubes which were 10 years old were still about as good as new even though left with filaments lit for perhaps a total of 3 of those 10 years or more.

The old EL34's were about done perhaps two years ago now but not replaced as not listening much at the time.  

It was plugging in the new EL34s which so rejuvented the amp as to get me back here to sign-up, comment and who knows -- maybe I'll even make my first Decfest and bring my Torii kit to see how it fares against the best of the current generation which looks mighty impressive.

I think I'll just leave the filaments lit all the time unless I know for sure I won't be listening for more than a week.  And that's unlikely now as my son is also keen on listening to the masters of flute to copy every nuance in his own performances.

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #5 - 09/24/12 at 12:54:46

Well, think I'll just leave the filaments lit all the time unless someone chimes in that it might hurt the EL34s -- doesn't seem to hurt the input tubes at all.  Anyway, amps are pricey, tubes are pretty cheap, life is short.

Keeping the filaments lit means a flick of the B+ switches and it's pretty much instant nirvana.  I remember my Zen Select from cold would take at least 1/2 hour (more likely more) to sound great.

Overall, very pleased I opted to install the B+ switches.  They work great also for quieting the amp before switching from 0 feedback to feedback.  Otherwise, you get a LOUD pop which can't be good for my B&C compression driver tweeter in my horns.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print