Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 02:42:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jupiter caps in the zcd (Read 21115 times)
jameskk
Seasoned Member

jupiter caps in the zcd
09/18/12 at 23:40:33

Are or do the jupiter caps have a place in the tube  output stage of the zcd 200i.????

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Re: jupiter caps in the zcd
Reply #1 - 09/28/12 at 17:12:24

we all talk about amps ,but we dont talk about the 2 most important things that make the most difference in our systems ..... sources and speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello

IP Logged
Chas
Verified Member

Shaking hands with
imagery is good

Reply #2 - 09/28/12 at 17:27:16

I use Tom Danley (former NASA engineer) designed Unity Horns (four mid-range drivers feeding into the throat of the horn) with B&C compression driver for the highs and Lambda TD15M 15" woofers to cover 70-300hz, and a separate WO32 sub using a pair of Lambda 8" woofers and a danish 100W plate amp.  

Having used lots of speakers from Acoustats to hand-tuned 3-way beasts and even tiny monitors of stands, these Unity speakers are the most capable in terms of effortless realism.  They are pretty complex compared with crossoverless single driver speakers, but I have yet to hear anything which are better to my ears.  Horns without the horn sound.  

I'd like to get a nice DAC source with lots of output voltage to best drive my Blue Torii amp.

And eventually, a nice vinyl rig sure would be the ultimate ticket with MC step-up, preamp, turntable, etc. -- way big bucks to do it right, like about $5K minimum.

Still, I could likely tune about any speaker to sound decent with a good amp and CD player.  Just takes time and tweeking with your ears and intuition on what needs to be done.

Modded Zen Torii Kit 0feedback Ferrari T.
-Current input fav: ITT Lorenz 6922 gold
Transport: Sony 685V modded using large Russian teflon caps on the DAC chip
Speakers: Massive Unity Horns
Subwoofer: WO32 Decware
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/28/12 at 18:08:51

jameskk wrote on 09/28/12 at 17:12:24:
we all talk about amps ,but we dont talk about the 2 most important things that make the most difference in our systems ..... sources and speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello

I agree.

Honestly, I think that the combination of speaker and amp is immensely important. Even prior to the Mono Toriis, the Decware line offered amazing amps to match up with amazing speakers and produce massive sound quality. When you by luck or design end up with a great pairing, then the better sources you feed them, the better they can sound.

The Radial design grabbed me and I loved the sound of the speakers I've had from Decware in that line. When paired with the Torii amps these speakers sing, and their harmony is one I find especially suited for my needs. I realized at that point that I could spend the rest of my life just tossing the best sources in front of them that I could.

The biggest expense is that last step. . . thanks in many ways to Decware; you can get the amp and speaker part of the puzzle solidified at a lower cost than many incur with other brands.

Really enjoying my system today and will count a few more of my lucky stars.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/28/12 at 22:39:33

sounds like you two have put in alot of time and money into your speakers . I too have put alot of time into this hobby /obsession.... from about the fall of 1974 til now always searching , but never finding audio truth . until 2 companies came along  Decware and common sense audio. where the not so effluent guy could  put together a true State of the art system for a song  . there are other companies that make life easier to bare also . I've put a ton of my money into this over the years never being able to afford the BEST!!! I'm forntunate to have taken this ZEN road to fine sound . I always knew there was something to this , but was brainwashed to the high end cliche' that corrupts us through the underground magazines and HIGH END stores that are in it for the big bucks. Theres my vent , without saying any bad words

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/23/12 at 12:57:19

I did want to ask you Lon about the ERR's , I'm not particularly keen on crossovers of any type anymore for what they take away , however this not so significant cap/ resistor ,I would think takes nothing away from these omni's . you said they are that good that you would upgrade around them . I alway wanted to try Ohm's however they are a low sensitivity speaker also. I believe ..... I'd have to hear the ERR"s of course. For now its the audio nirvana super 8's in 2.8 cabinets. Liking these alot........small room 9x13 ,and now with the superzen , takes me there. the best watt or 2 I've heard,  ever!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/23/12 at 13:06:34

I love the ERRs, to me they just present a more natural presentation of the music, more the way that you hear music in "the field" (or in your home if you are a musicians or have musicians making music in your home). That's really what has glued me to the ERR (and HR-1 Omni)--that "out of the box" sound.

I used their predecessors (RL-1 an RL-2) in a small rook with a Select amp. Great sound, but. . . I felt there was little headroom, and wanted more power. Eventually I moved them to a larger room and used a pair of Decware SE34 Monoblocks and an SE34I.2 but in the larger room still had that same sense of wanting more reserve, wanting that ease of sound. I moved to the ERRs and to a Torii Mk II and then Torii Mk III and there's more juice and power than I would ever need, and I feel that is a great match, a great partnership between amp and speakers. The ERR are a bit more efficient than the RL2s were, but I'm not sure that the SuperZen would be quite enough of a brute to be an ideal partner for them if not in a small room.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/19/13 at 17:36:01

Ok to get back to the subject at hand . I have installed the Jupiter caps in the gain stage of my Decware 200i. nothing to really comment on at this point and maybe never. the player is very good . breakin commencing, hoping for better than the yellow wima's that I believe aren't as good over time . Steve they don't fit as good as the wima's ,however they do fit in there

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/01/13 at 14:08:17

I 'm just wondering if something else has to be done to this gain stage (less parts) to make this player sound better, about 100 hours into breakin of the Jupiter caps, like the larger plate resistors alla superzen ??? happy decfest to all!!!!!!! someday

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/27/13 at 14:38:08

After going through some older cd's that I use for serious listening , these Jupiter caps in this player have made a difference to the good .

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/06/14 at 20:56:12

Having just about every 12au7 you can possibly put in the ZCD , I've come up with one that sounds pretty damn good , its the RFT with foil getter. theres only one more id like to try and it seems like it's way out of my price category , the Mazda with the silver plates. Yes these were recommended by a gentleman on the asylum, and he's pretty right about the RFT's.... Theres only one thing id like to do is maybe have better parts in the Decware gain stage . the Jupiter cryoed , beeswax made a difference. ???????????

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 02/06/14 at 21:12:05

The beeswax caps sure made a difference in my Torii Mk III and my CSP2+! Very happy! Considering having them added to one of my other CSP2+ and my ZP3. . . that would only cost over 500 dollars. Gulp.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/08/14 at 11:23:51

hey Lon ,Yes that is a lot of money for capacitors ,even if you did the job yourself. my ambition here is to get Steve to chime in , to see if anything else can be done to make the gain stage sound better,and in turn the Zcd to also sound better. not that it doesn't sound good now . I just never thought that the 499.00 Oppo would sound better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 02/08/14 at 11:34:46

Good luck. I was never satisfied with the ZCD sound and moved on to several players since. If anything would help, the Jupiters would. . . or may be too much of a "good thing." I found the ZCD far too dry and edgy sounding for my source material. Mine was the earliest one, that I added every available option to.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/12/14 at 14:17:11

I have the newest one 200i with the oc2 regulator,only 1 volume control,and a great 12au7 foil getter tube in it.

IP Logged
Raymundo
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 02/21/15 at 18:50:35

Dear JamesKK,

Now that you have a few years and a lot of mods, what are you thinking about the ZCD based on the 200i?

The reason I ask, the unit seems to fit my current needs so well.  Take an iphone musical input, tube modify it, and sent to amp.  Plus play CDs and sent to amp.  Now, late Feb 2015, it seems to be heading for exiting the product line with a new product that lacks some of these "old" features.

What is your wisdom at this point?

I am just starting out in the Decware equipment process.

Raymundo

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 08/30/16 at 10:33:36

take a listen to the oppo cdp 103 500 bucks if you know somebody that has one ...........

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/30/16 at 10:34:41

sorry it took so long

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print