Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 20:50:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New speaker set for watching movies/music playback (Read 11750 times)
ThorSevan
Verified Member

New speaker set for watching movies/music playback
09/11/12 at 04:13:50

Hello again Decware people,

So I have been listening to my SE34I.3+W4S DAC2+Trapezium setup for a few months now (very satisfied so far, sound is indeed improving over time) and I'm now searching a speaker set for the living room for movies/music playback. The whole will be driven by the same SE34I.3 in the office and I'll pass cables through the walls. Bass performance is quite important in this case.

Now the question that I have is what speakers would sound best for my current setup or that you would recommend for the intended usage?
+ The Zen Ziegler Speakers - MG944
+ The Extended Range Radials - ERR

Other question:
+ Easiest way to switch speakers for a given tube amp?!

Let me know your thoughts!
Cheers
Sev

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New speaker set for watching movies/music playback
Reply #1 - 09/11/12 at 14:07:01

I have the ERRs in an audio/visual system and I absolutely adore their playback for both music and TV and DVD/Blu-ray. I think they would do fairly well with the Integrated if you don't need explosions to rattle the floor. Phenomenal speakers. Excellent bass response in the right room.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/12 at 04:13:15

Hey Lon,

Besides it's impressive imaging and soundstage capabilities, how to they differ from the The Zen Ziegler? Basically, what are the pros and cons of each one from the other?

Cheers,
Sev

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/13/12 at 11:47:29

Sev,

I have to relate that I have never heard the Zen Ziegler (MG 944) speakers. The first Decware speakers I ever purchased were the first Radial speakers, the RL1. Which I had updated to the RL2. I so fell in love with this speaker design that I didn't audition any other and haven't wanted to have a speaker without this Radial dispersion pattern. To me, the Radial dispersion is closer to real music reproduction and makes all other speakers I've heard more or less "Hifi" . . . which for me is not really a compliment. The other "Decware" (rather, soon to be) speaker I've heard is Bob Ziegler's HR-1 pair that I bought and received a year or so before my ERR speakers. It is a fine speaker, but still more a traditional presentation than a Radial dispersion one, a fantastic "Hifi" speaker. I prefer to have my ERR speakers in the main system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 09/13/12 at 12:30:23

Sev,

Funny I read this, this morning....

Last night I was listening to MG944's while finishing a set of ERR's. When I completed the ERR's I took them in the room for a listen before going to bed.

Being lazy, and it was getting late, I just placed the ERR's about 8" in front of the MG's. Chose my music, set the volume on the amp and sat down for a listen. When I hit play, I thought, crap, I forgot to hook up the ERR's, I still had the MG944's hooked up. Only to get up and find I did have the ERR's hooked up. It's not the first time I've been fooled like that!

Main difference between the two....if we could use light as an analogy, imagine a torch light facing the ceiling. The light is diffuse on all surfaces equally, but nothing blaring in your eyes, just soft lighting around the room. The MG's on the other hand, are more like what you have with the Trapeziums, a light shining at you rather than the torch light effect.

The ERR's can give you the effect of surround sound, not needing rear speakers, better than any other speaker we have. (ERR's used with ERR's rears the best surround I have ever heard) Other than being able to make the floor shake with low bass, the bass is more than adequate, for a sub really not needed.   The MG's while a little more dynamic (only due to their forward firing conventional driver set up) do have a bit better bass, as they go a little lower. The MG's image very well, but placement is a bit more critical as their sweet spot is not as wide as it is with the ERR's.

Got to get to work now....

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/13/12 at 21:13:39

Zygi (Bob),

That's pretty much how I would describe them too and sort of what I meant by radial dispersion vs. traditional "Hifi" presentation.

That's how I like my lighting too, not beamed at me! Smiley

IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/22/12 at 00:47:39

Hey guys, thank you very much for the feedback!

I listen a lot to acoustics/instrumentals, vocals and jazz type of musics. Now, because these speakers will be in the living room in an open space environment (standard height ceilings) with the dining room and kitchen open their main purpose will be to listen to movies and ambient music playback otherwise.

Let me know if this information has an influence of the type of speakers you would recommend.

One last question, someone tried hooking up two pairs of speakers to a Decware amp? Any device or connector available for easy swap between speakers?

Cheers!
Sev

IP Logged
ThorSevan
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/26/12 at 22:12:01

Hello,

Is it possible to drive two speaker sets separately with ony amp by using some sort of switch or selector? Anyone tried this yet?

I'm planning to use the same amp (Zen Triode Integrated) to drive my Trapezium in the office and then cables passing through my wall for the living room using either Radial or MG944.

Thanks!
Sev

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 10/28/12 at 15:09:39

http://www.bryston.com/products/other/2way.html
I don't see a price anywhere, but this is what you are looking for.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 10/28/12 at 15:15:13

Well I just found the price. $575, that is nuts! I think for that price I could swap banana plugs out of my amp for quite a while.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/28/12 at 15:58:15

Maybe Steve can pose a cost-effective alternative to that pricey gizmo.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 10/28/12 at 17:26:01

IP Logged
judy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/01/12 at 09:34:13

Main difference between the two....if we could use light as an analogy, imagine a torch light facing the ceiling. The light is diffuse on all surfaces equally, but nothing blaring in your eyes, just soft lighting around the room. The MG's on the other hand, are more like what you have with the Trapeziums, a light shining at you rather than the torch light effect. Smiley

-----------------------------------
earphone-colorapples

IP Logged
EdGuY
Seasoned Member

Fact is just a solid
opinion.

Reply #13 - 11/24/12 at 08:06:40

Tannoy Prestige Canterbury GR,ST-300mg,IsoTek Aquarius EVO3,YARBO power.c,RGC-24,TORII MK3VCaps+silver wires+carbon resitors,CSP2+,DENON DP-A100+Karat17D3,GRADO PH-1,AURALiC Aries,GUSTARD X20-PRO ES9028PRO DAC,WA-Quantum chips,tubes WE 422A,GEC KT66,6N23P,USAF-596
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print