Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:06:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Triode: First Impressions (Read 11304 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Zen Triode: First Impressions
09/10/12 at 16:03:53

Wide, deep, and musical... What more can I say?... Very good paired with single driver full-range back-loaded horn speakers... Had some NOS tubes on hand, and found some good driver tubes for classical music:  Mullard 6DJ8, Amperex 'Bugle Boy' 6DJ8, and Sylvania 6DJ8... Oddly enough, the cheapest tube (Sylvania) sounds the best to my ears... Go figure...

Tube dampers?... Actually constricted the sound for some reason... Again, go figure...

Tried a few different CD players, up to $600.00... Best sounding?... A $99.00 factory refurb TEAC mini component CD player... I'll say it again... Go figure!...  (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Re: Zen Triode: First Impressions
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 16:50:14

Sonics aside, of all the tube brands which have existed, I always liked the way "Sylvania" is pronounced.

If I ever had a daughter, that's the name I'll be giving her. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 16:54:37

I'll agree, that's a pleasant sound. I grew up in Pennsylvania (years 2 to 11) and played in a band called Sylvan Blue. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/10/12 at 16:57:54

Mark, congrats!

I wouldn't draw definitive conclusions yet. This amp is going to sound different in two weeks . . .in two months. . . and in two years.

I think you're on to something. The basic presentation of a cheap player can be very satisfying. . . in the long run I've found every Zen amp I've had has benefited ultimately from the very best source you can throw at it (not necessarily the most expensive, but the most resolving and musical).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/10/12 at 17:37:42

Thanks for your comments... 'Sylvania' does come off of the tongue rather well... Of course, so does 'syphilis.'

There's something about these TEAC and Tascam units... Perhaps it's the people voicing them, I don't know, really... I'm constantly comparing the sound of my system to the music played at the concert hall next-door to my apt. building... I tried a NAD C545 BEE CD player, and it was colored in the midrange... I guess some might call it dark or warm... I call it coloration... It's now on eBay, because I'm often loathe to return items, having worked in audio sales...

I think part of it is that I was affected by listening through headphones directly from mic preamps with either ribbon or condenser mics... Those things are often ramped up in the treble [not so much the ribbons]... In my opinion, that's good, because you can always cut the treble, but you can't put something back that isn't there... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/10/12 at 19:07:56

Interesting. . . I haven't had great luck with TEAC machines, but we all experience sounds differently. I agree that it's better to have too much treble, though I find too many recordings with too much treble grain, I'm very sensitive to inaccuracies in high frequencies. One reason I love the Toriis I have (and the Integrated I had) is Steve's incorporation of the treble cut circuit, a godsend for me! That way I don't need a preamp with tone controls, etc.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/10/12 at 21:36:31

I'd like to find out how that works... Standard equalisation always degrades the signal, IMO... I like the idea of changing out tubes to get the right tone...   (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/10/12 at 21:53:53

It shunts to ground. Does not equalize. Outside the signal path so to speak. Steve told me about three years ago that it could be added to any amp.

From the Mini-Torii designer notes:

TONE CONTROL

During the day at work we find ourselves listening to the radio and Internet radio such as Pandora etc., and while it sometimes sounds almost hi-fi, most of the time it makes a guy like me suffer.  Putting a treble dampening circuit in the amp that is fully adjustable, not in the direct signal path and fully defeatable makes it possible to listen to sub-par sources or recordings with far less distraction.  At the same time many high efficiency speakers are fairly tipped up in response, having significantly more treble than bass.  If it weren't for this trait everyone would probably love single driver full range speakers but the majority develop a love/hate relationship with them.  This amp allows you to damp the top end as much as needed, and on the fly.  So it has a dual purpose and I think many people will find it more than valuable.

From the Torii Mk III page:

Trim control on each channel for the treble.  This allows you to adjust the top end this amp offers so that virtually any loudspeaker can sound right, be it a Lowther full range driver or your favorite hi-fi speaker.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print