Send Topic Print
Racks and all (Read 3199 times)
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Racks and all
09/10/12 at 02:02:18

I am in the process of clearing out the coat closet in the living room I claimed during the last remodel in which I installed some shelves to handle the TT, pre-amp, transport, DAC, Power supply and vac for TT and some misc stuff. I am going to sell off the pre, dac, another power amp and pre not in use and get Steve and crew building a Torii III, phono stage & mc tranny, and pre-amp. Finally, the question...what are you all using for racks? They have to have a lot of adjustability to allow for the height you need so you don't cook the underside of the shelf above (approx. 17'' is my guess) . I have 34'' wide, 23'' deep and 8' of height. I need the TT at about 44'' or so like it is now. Are you making ''Flexi Racks'' with all thread and MDF shelves or spending real $$ on Mapleshade's version or Salamander's version. I know the furniture is important for support and damping vibration etc, but I have never had a TT feedback problem (Sota Star Saphire Vac). Suggestion? Something reasonable so I can spend the $$ on new gear and maybe new speakers?? Thanks in advance.Chris

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Racks and all
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 02:20:41

I spent the money on a Mapleshade Samson rack years ago, and I'm so happy I did, I love it. When I incorporated the visual part of my system I bought a large redwood tv stand (all wood, mostly press fit together with a bit of wood glue) that I have been able to successfully use for the TV as well as the PS Audio Power Plant Premier, the Denon SACD player, and my CSP2+ and my PS Audio phono preamp. And as an extension I am using an old maple end table that is still VERY sturdy that was my late wife's grandmother's, this has the Turntable and the DVR on it, and it works surprisingly well.

I have become a big fan of maple platforms (sitting on top of Herbie's Audio Lab Grungebuster dots) supporting components and I really believe that these do an excellent job of isolating components and improving the sound.

It's possible that all this is overkill, but I have seen the system become progressively better sounding over time not just through component improvement but also in the rack and platforms and other isolation bits and pieces (which are almost all from Herbie's Audio Lab).

Truly I think there are several successful ways to deal with racks; I'm happy with my choices.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Racks and all
Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 13:31:36

I`ve got a 5 tier rack. An Apollo, so not expensive. Under each of the  shelves 4 corner contact points I placed some sorbothane 1/4" thick inserts cut from a 5x5" sheet  found on e-bay. I also did the same for all other components including the TT which is on a Rega wall mount unit. I`d prefer it on the top, spiked  shelf, and recommission the trusty old Rega from its hibernation in a cupboard. The ZP3 & ZMC1 have top spot and underneath the shelf I`ve stuck a sheet of baco foil ( leaving it loosish so theres a gap ) when I found the top shelf on slow roast from the power amp beneath. Easy fix. So, a small quandry, not enough shelves in the unit so  am considering a solid one level unit so the valve pre/power can breathe easier, and be on a more practible viewing level.....or just another wall fixed shelf or two. - Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print