Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 20:31:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Christmas Keeps Coming mod (Read 20031 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Christmas Keeps Coming mod
09/04/12 at 20:59:41

Compelling stories to be sure. Thanks Steve. And thanks for keeping the creative quest alive!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Re: What's Steve going to do this year?
Reply #1 - 09/05/12 at 00:21:58

Inquiring minds want to know. How soon will the CKC mod be available? I'm currently on the board as parts pull for my Zen Select.

Thanks,
Kevin Wink Grin

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/05/12 at 00:38:11

And is the CKC mod applicable to other amps???

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/06/12 at 02:18:40

The CKC (Christmas keeps coming) mod is only available on the SE84C, SE84CS, SE84ZS, SE84ZSM series of amplifiers.  Basically all the variations of the 2 watt Zen Triode Amplifier.

ANYONE who has one of these amplifiers on the order board will be getting the CKC mod automatically.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
markv

Reply #4 - 09/06/12 at 03:08:08

Steve - Do you have any pictures of the Super Zen that you can share with us?

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #5 - 09/06/12 at 17:21:28

Steve,

Do you know when you will have a price for the CKC mod for current Zen owners?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Price of the CKC mod
Reply #6 - 09/09/12 at 03:43:26

$229.00 will be the price of the CKC (Christmas keeps coming) mod for any model SE84B, SE84C, SE84C+, SE84CS, SE84ZS.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 09/09/12 at 03:47:29

MarkV - None yet, but I will in another week or so.  Right now this is all I can show you:

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/09/12 at 04:13:42

Steve,  I am the proud owner of a pair of your V-capped 84ZSM monoblocks.

What would it cost to have the CKC mod done to my two monoblocks?
Is it the same price as the other amps you mentioned?

Is there a discount for having both done? Or is it 2 X $229.00?

Thanks,
Mike Braunlich

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 09/10/12 at 04:08:30

The mono's are too different to accept the CKC mod.  Part of it could be done.  We could replace the plate and cathode resistors and that would be audible.  We could replace the VCAPS with the beeswax caps used in the CKC mod.  Sound would be significantly different, more natural.  Since the remainder of the mod involves removing things which are not there in your mono's, the price would remain the same - for the pair.

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: Christmas Keeps Coming mod
Reply #10 - 09/10/12 at 04:52:26

Steve,

Thanks for the speedy response!  

The partial mod you detailed, sounds great to me.

I have heard about the natural sound of beeswax caps.  I'm guessing you're using Jupiter caps, although probably not the relatively high priced HT Flatstacks .

Anyway, I'm  excited about this,  and will send the pair of mono's in soon, to have the plate and cathode resistors replaced, and the VCAPS changed out for the beeswax caps.

Thanks again,
Mike

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 09/11/12 at 03:44:08

Mike,

I am using Jupitor caps.  I've been working with the owner for the past 6 months as as another set of ears to evaluate some variations of his caps.    Last month we nailed down and verified the exact sonic differences between two different solder techniques to attach the lead wires on otherwise identical caps.   Yes, you heard me right.  It's some really mind blowing stuff... but this what is at the heart of the CKC mod.  After we got the specific caps we wanted for the amplifier, we modified the amplifier for the specific caps.  It's voicing in it's most refined state.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 09/11/12 at 07:34:49

Steve,  

That's pretty amazing how two different solder techniques change the sonics of the Jupiter caps.  It's great you've been able to dial in the voicing for the amplifier, to the utmost degree

Now you've got me really excited about installing the Jupiter caps and the improved plate and cathode resistors on my ZSM mono's.

I'm shipping the pair off to you next Monday, to have the work done.

Thanks!
Mike

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 09/16/12 at 16:15:48

The different solder techniques change the sound of ANY type or brand of caps... it has nothing to specifically do with Jupitor caps except to say that Jupitor caps are highly transparent making it possible to hear these differences.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print