Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:27:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EL 84 / SV 83 compatibility?... (Read 7707 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

EL 84 / SV 83 compatibility?...
07/05/12 at 23:45:25

I've been doing some reading, and also asking some questions of fellow audiophiles who have tube gear, and they all tell me that EL 84 tubes and SV 83 tubes are not compatible... That is, drop-in-wise...

So, I guess my next question would be, how does Steve make it work in the Zen amp?... Is it just a special pin config or something like that?...

(m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: EL 84 / SV 83 compatibility?...
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 00:07:14

The very first Revision done to the Zen amp was to change it from EL84 only use to shared use of EL84 and SV83; I bought my amp before then and sent it back for the upgrade (which was offered to me for free) so that amp is a "Revision A" or I guess an SE84A. Not sure how it's accomplished, but the amps do operate well with either tube.

I sort of miss those days. . . lots has changed for me in those years. . . many of the changes in my personal life haven't been for the best (G.W. ruined state government in Texas, and my job kept getting worse and then I finally was able to retire, my wife got fatally ill etc.) but my system has really improved--yet I loved music through that llttle amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 01:16:48

Interesting... I would like to find out the 'nuts-and-bolts' of what was done and why... It might be enlightening... I seem to recall that some guitar amps actually use EL 84 tubes for input... ???...  At any rate, audiophiles tout the SV 83 as being a superb output tube... (m.)

added: sorry to hear of your travails... hope everything is smoother now...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 01:58:45

I've never heard of an EL84 as an input tube in a guitar amp or otherwise! I have an amp that uses them for outputs. . . .

Steve's Zen amp is the very first amp I've ever known to use SV83 tubes; I had never heard of that tube before Steve introduced them into the amp (in '98 or so). I bet that there was a power supply change to accamodate the tube.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/06/12 at 02:05:34

Right... Probably a nix on EL 84 as input tube... Doesn't make sense, really... I'm a keyboardist, afterall... (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/06/12 at 03:37:33

Alright! I love pianos. . .they're an ordered universe!

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/12 at 05:08:28

Right... Try this: http://soundcloud.com/signet/file0118

Composed and performed by myself... (m.) ps: The dreaded MP3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/06/12 at 12:31:46

Nice! Thanks. Nicely recorded as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print