Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:14:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help Choosing a Sub for Select (Read 2882 times)
rayd
Seasoned Member

Help Choosing a Sub for Select
07/04/12 at 18:55:11

Hi All, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum! A lot has changed but glad to be back. I have a question regarding choosing a sub to mate with my Select and Parker Audio 95's.

I read Steve's 1st paper titled INSIGHTS ABOUT SUBWOOFERS. I've never been a subwoofer guy and not too technical when it comes to this sort of thing, but it got me to thinking it might be nice to mate an audiophile quality sub with my Select. For those not familiar, the Parker's are rated at 95db sensitivity and a 2 ohm load. Freq. resp. is 55hz to 23khz.

I was thinking of getting the HSU VTF-3 MK4 sub and based on Steve's paper, cross over at about 55hz. Just enough to add some bottom when needed. based on this:

Quote:
The high fidelity application of a sub woofer is very different from the common application of a sub woofer. In high fidelity playback systems the desired goal is to reproduce all frequencies at the same pressure, i.e. flat response. If a pair of high fidelity speakers have a response that rolls off at 40 cycles then the application of the sub woofer would be to start at 40 cycles and play on down to 20 cycles. It would be exactly matched in volume with the high fidelity speakers. The result of this would be flat response, in so much as you would never be able to “HEAR” the sub woofer. In fact, since you high fidelity speakers go down to 40 cycles, and 90% of all recorded music lies in the band between 40 and 20,000 cycles-- your basic impression of the sub woofer would be that it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Questions: Will adding a sub make the Select to "appear" to have more volume or power? Not looking to add more slam per se (since I am in a small condo) but just a bit more bottom.

As far as hooking it up, do I just run wires off the Selects speaker taps that are shared with the Parker's?

Thanks in advance for any tips/insights you may have!

Ray

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print