Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 17:22:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monitor stands: Night & Day! (Read 5176 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Monitor stands: Night & Day!
06/14/12 at 02:38:43

Yep, that's the difference I found in sound using my new 26" stands, well into my listening room area.  Soundstage horizontal extension, transparency, air between instruments, imaging and deeper bass, all tangible improvements.  

Only drawback (maybe not), is my bass went from very live and not too deep, to deeper but more subtle.  That is, being farther away from reflecting walls made the bass less evident and less intrusive, while at the same time developing a deeper tone.  I love the depth but could use some more presence.  I guess I need to put some spikes under those stands?

Anyway, I'm so happy and relieved!  I was getting concerned not to be able to listen to my new gear's real potential until now.  It is still breaking-in, so I expect further improvement, but now I can really enjoy my sessions without those worries.

I found the speakers' toe-out did not make evident difference now, as compared to straightforward placement.  I guess since now there's plenty of free space for the sound waves to expand (my speakers are now about 30% farther away from each other, horizontally), toe-out is inmaterial.  In any event, the speakers are also some 3.5 ft away from the back wall and you can feel an important portion of the sound going around the speakers as opposed to getting a direct reflection from that back wall like before.

I just wanted to give credit where credit's due: Great suggestions from both Will and Lon, thanks guys     Cheesy

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Monitor stands: Night & Day!
Reply #1 - 06/14/12 at 03:21:54

Awesome FB, I knew that getting them out into the room would give them a nice frequency change and more realistic sound.

I really think you should email Steve Herbelin at Herbie's Audio Lab and ask him about the best isolation for the speakers and or the stands. It may be that you just need to decouple the speakers from the stands, and you may need to decouple the stands from the floor, but not necessarily both. I've really found his advice (just like the other Steve's advice Wink) to be on target and very helpful. I think this will help get that little bit of bass weight you are thinking of (and also maybe just a bit more breakin time will bring more out).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 06/14/12 at 04:13:27

That is my next step.  I just want to make sure I have covered the basics on my side first, as far as placement, etc.  With these current results, I'll be ready to fine-tune the gear once it is broken-in (which may still require a few more weeks).  Right after it's settled, I can really dial-in the benefits of what Herbie can offer.

Thanks again.  Have a nice evening, Lon ...

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/17/12 at 17:30:29

Breakin will help. And vibration isolation will help. Continued speaker exploration will help. Tube exploration will likely help. I think the main thing is to keep in mind that all of this is gear/room/tastes based and that any isolated shift in a particular combination of settings and placements effects everything else. So for ultimate fine-tuning, assuming one particular adjustment is an end-all refinement within the complex of the whole synergistic blend, may or may not be true.

For examples: You may like a certain isocup placement best with your speakers in a particular place, but then by moving the speakers back toward the wall a bit to balance bass, image and midrange, you may end up preferring slightly different foot placement under the amp that creates a slightly more open sound to compensate for the increase of low-mid/bass the speaker placement created. Or it is possible that the width and toe of the speakers would change to optimize soundstage within an adjusted speaker placement. Or perhaps, angling the speakers on the stands so that the front is 1/16-1/4" higher will offset the tweeter/bass driver projection and timing enough to enliven the soundstage. Or maybe with this adjustment, toeing the speakers even 1/8-1/4" one way or the other could make the soundstage saturation just right.

Fun stuff that can get you through the burnin!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 06/18/12 at 01:46:50

Hey Will,

I think I agree with your suggestions.  Everything seems to be interrelated, indeed.  Although I'm still far from achieving real fine-tunning status (maybe within a few weeks I'll have a better chance at it), I'm at the point where everything I play on, sounds great.  Not perfect, mind you, but just really enjoyable.

I was even able to pull up that bass presence I was missing, by simply increasing the sub-woofer volume a couple of times.  Bass liveliness came back, and is still deeper and unobtrusive.  Today, for example, was a totally glorious listening experience!

I have not tried too many speaker placement options since arranging the stands, as I wanted to just enjoy the music, but I need to work on it.  I'll try some of the possible combinations you described.  

I think I'll concentrate in speaker placement and vibration isolation for now, and some sub crossover settings (currently at 65Hz).  I may get into some tube rolling eventually, of course, just out of curiosity, but primarily, I just want to hear my gear at its full potential, with the original tube compliment from Steve.  This may happen only after break-in, though.  In the meantime, I'll have some fun by testing some of the many possible placement combinations as per your suggestion.

BTW, I'm noticing my average volume setting coming down.  Having better frequency separation and transparency seems to convey the same music effect at lower sound pressure levels.  I'm interpreting this as a good sign, sort of going in the right direction.

Thanks for your support.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/18/12 at 01:59:11

Good to hear FB. And yes the lowered volume is a great sign!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/12 at 05:08:18

Yes sounding good alright. "Really enjoyable" is certainly exciting!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #7 - 06/18/12 at 12:42:20

Good to hear, guys, thanks.  

BTW, do you listen to your speakers with the screens on?  I have not tried that either, because I don't want them to be unprotected from dust and stuff.  But I remember it made a difference with my previous gear.  I'll give that a try also.

In case you're wondering, setting up the stands and speakers in the right places for a listening session, and putting them away when I'm finished, is not a problem whatsoever, taking the whole of maybe 3-4 mins.  It beats having to be stuck with limited positioning.  Besides, the rest of the time the speakers go back to the furniture table, where they don't interfere with the decoration.   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print