Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 06:24:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker recommemdations (Read 10419 times)
Hipfan

Speaker recommemdations
06/02/12 at 12:48:39

I'm looking for modern speaker recommendations suited to rock music and a good fit with Decware, in the $2000 range (new or used).

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Speaker recommemdations
Reply #1 - 06/02/12 at 14:25:22

I'd recommend some Decware MG 944's and maybe a sub to "rock your world".  They will shake my house when powered by my Torii. I have found out that I listen a whole lot louder than most, and this combo works well for me.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #2 - 06/02/12 at 14:56:39

Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for something that will shake the walls necessarily, just something that will sound good with Rock and can be turned up on occasion.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/12 at 15:12:29

Klipsch Heritage (CW, LS, KH, Heresy), Cinema series, the older "extended Heritage" (Quartet, forte, Chorus) and the Legend series (KLF20, etc.).  

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/02/12 at 15:16:33

what decware do you have

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/02/12 at 18:06:44

I thought I had posted on this earlier but evidently not.

I would go with a new pair of Zen Zeigler MG944's They are well within your budget. They also dig deeper into the bass than the other speakers.

They would work well with any DECWARE amp.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #6 - 06/02/12 at 19:01:21

The speakers would be driven by a SE34I.3. I currently have a pair of Klipsch Forte IIs which I like. I'm just looking to try something a bit different. I don't need something with booming bass that will rattle the walls, just something with good tight bass that will work well with rock music at normal listening levels, because that's what I currently listen to, most often.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/03/12 at 17:46:16

Ok, your starting point for this with the zen integrated and fortes is indeed a pretty high point in the audio universe.  99% of the folks out there will never even hear a system as good as what you have right now.

Sounds like you want something other than horns.  I can understand that.  I have one horn system and a bunch of others, each determined mainly by the room and application for the most part.  Each has it's charms.  The thing I like about horns is the way they can essentially remove the room from the presentation by virtue of their narrow directivity.  It's akin to headphones or nearfield listening, and the ambient cues from the source dictates the picture painted in your mind, transporting you to the recorded venue.  It's my preference for live recordings and recordings that have a lot of ambience.

The other systems I have are more conventional (shallow waveguide or flush mounted tweets, direct radiators).  Their wider dispersion creates ambience from the room, so these systems excel for close miked and zero-ambience studio recordings.  They can bring the musicians into my room, which is pretty cool.  If the listening is done near-field and/or the room is effectively treated, these systems all tend to sound more similar to the horns.

I suggest you keep the forte ll, whatever you do.  They are a genuinely awesome speaker, among the best Klipsch ever produced.  Consider a Torii for them some time in the future perhaps.

And get something different like the MG944, which is probably Decware's most rock-friendly speaker.  And don't forget how they'll interact with your room.  I think you may prefer that approach for some material, and your old fortes for other stuff, as I have.

One can never have too many speakers.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/06/12 at 06:56:39

Zu Omen is just what you want. I have the Superfly which is more expensive but they are similar. They do all music well, but can rock when you want them to. The transparancy and speed are alarming at first. Simply addictive. Great bass as well. No need for a sub.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/06/12 at 08:28:54

Tonian Labs make great high efficiency speakers. Here's a review of a pair that I just acquired to use with my Torii. I also own Fortes:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1296672136&&&/Tonian-TL-D1-MK-II-...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/06/12 at 12:10:10

Why are most of them 16 ohm impedance?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/06/12 at 15:15:40

Good question. The ones I got are 8.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print