Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 09:44:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommendations for Travel system? (Read 9069 times)
Swordman
Verified Member

Recommendations for Travel system?
05/20/12 at 22:23:21

Hi Guys. I need to travel for business sometimes.  I love the sound of tubes (early buyer of Decware and is entire system at home).  I would like to center my travel system around a laptop, dac, preamp & amp or suitable integrated.

Obviously size is a big issue, in this case smaller is better.  Also could use a recommendation on small speakers that would sound real good.  If you can compare any component mentioned to the sound of a comparable Decware product, that would help me also.  Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Recommendations for Travel system?
Reply #1 - 05/20/12 at 22:39:28

I recommend a ZEN SE84C+ amp and DECWARE TRAPEZIUM speakers.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Swordman
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/12 at 22:46:12

Hi Riverranch, Thank you for your response.  I currently have a Select, which is the same size and I would judge that to be a some big for putting in a suitcase when I still have to add all the other components and keep the airlines happy as well.  Of course that would be great sound but size and weight is a issue I think.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/20/12 at 23:13:37

I thought that the ZEN was smaller than the new SELECT. Is it an older one? The older ZEN would be the same size as the new SE84C+, perhaps even a little smaller as I recall they elongated the chassis a bit for the 2009 revisions.

You might read my thread about taking my ZEN and TRAPEZIUMS on the road for the holidays.

The only other amp might be the Mini Torii as it is small, relatively.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Swordman
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/12 at 23:17:52

Hi Riverranch, I will look up your comments about traveling with them.  Believe me, using the Zen equipment would make me happy, I just thought it would take up too much space and weigh alot too.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Swordman
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/12 at 23:19:10

Oh an sorry about writing Riverranch instead of Rivieraranch...

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/28/12 at 18:18:50

This may be too much compromise for your stated goals, but have you considered one of the smaller Dayton chip based amps?  Light weight, and quite decent sounding.    

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

I'm afraid that if you really want the Decware sound, you're going to have to lug around the Decware iron.  Or something similar.  (And we know from experience that that is typically more expensive!)  

IP Logged
Swordman
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 05/29/12 at 02:21:01

Thanks ski bum and I like your name.  

Does anyone here have any experience with the Miniwatt N3?  Tiny tube amp with good reviews.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 05/29/12 at 12:04:32

Have tried the miniwatt( the older one) I was not impressed, besides it gave a load of problems.

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/01/12 at 15:28:34

Personally I would hate to travel with any tube amp unless you have a dedicated suitcase for it. What I would do is get the Decware Zen Head headphone amp and some good headphones. Both small and very portable. Use the laptop as your source and there you go. Great music when traveling.

John

IP Logged
Swordman
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 06/02/12 at 21:27:14

deucekazoo, thanks for the idea.  I would like to be able to play it out-loud in a hotel room so that if I had guests, everyone could hear good music.  I do tend to agree with you, I am still researching small components with great sound.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #11 - 06/14/12 at 13:55:24

Hi Swordman,

Here's a highly rated portable amp which uses tubes!

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sweet-sound-of-tube-the-alo-continental-amplifier/

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print