Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 06:41:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For Sale-Sony STA-6B tuner, modded by Joseph Chow (Read 3930 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

For Sale-Sony STA-6B tuner, modded by Joseph Chow
05/18/12 at 04:26:35

I'm not sure if there is much interest in tuners on this forum, but thought I post here first before going to Ebay and/or Audiogon.

I have for sale, one very "minty" Sony STA-6B 7 gang tuner that was thoroughly gone over by Joseph Chow of Component Plus USA, last fall.

One of Sony's best tuners, the seven gang FM only, STA-6B is fairly difficult to find in the US.  It has phenomenal sound quality and holds it own with a 7-gang varicap and slightly better DX performance than the originally more expensive STA-7B.  Go to fmtunerinfo.com for details and pictures on both Sony models.

This unit was made in 1979-80, and I purchased it from the original owner last year, for just over $400.  Condition on this unit is easily 9.5 on a 1-10 scale. Owners manual is included, This is the second STA-6B I have owned in the last couple of years.  I sold the first stock unit after I found this "like new" one last summer.  

It was sent to Joseph Chow in California last fall, for his premium package upgrade.  I have the invoice for this work ($565.00) plus all the old parts he removed and upgraded.  20 capacitors were replaced with Blackgate or Panasonic, Furutech gold IEC installed, cyroed fuse holder installed on rear panel, RCA jacks replaced with Audio Note silver type, internal wiring upgraded, fine alignments performed, etc.  I upgraded the fuse with a HI-Fi Tuning gold fuse, and installed 3M damping panels on the bottom of the tuner.  All these mods did make a big positive difference.

I'm using this tuner in my second system with Decware 84ZSM monoblocks, and it sounds terrific.  (the tuner in my main system is a Joseph Chow modified Philips AH673).  I was planning on keeping this Sony for a long time/forever, but purchased a Tandberg 3001A a few months ago, which Joseph is restoring/modifying right now.

I cannot afford to have an extra tuner, so the Sony must go.  I have close to $1000 invested, and am asking $575 plus shipping.

It will be double-boxed with plenty of bubblepack wrapping, and you should figure $35 for Fed-Ex charges.  No charges for the two new oversized shipping cartons and bubblepack that I will purchase.

Feel free to email with any questions.  If no interest here, I'll be listing it on ebay in a few days.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

IP Logged
skiroe

Re: For Sale-Sony STA-6B tuner, modded by Joseph Chow
Reply #1 - 05/24/12 at 05:08:36

still available?  sent you pm

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: For Sale-Sony STA-6B tuner, modded by Joseph Chow
Reply #2 - 05/24/12 at 05:16:42

Hi,
For reasons unknown, your pm did not reach me.
Try my email address, which is mike@terrapin-gardens.com.

Yes, the Sony Sta-6B is still available.  I'll be listing it on Audiogon tommorow.

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print