Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 12:33:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tilting-up the DM945's (Read 10444 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Tilting-up the DM945's
04/27/12 at 14:00:32

In preparing to receive my new DM945's, I had a carpenter build me a pair of solid teak (very hard, heavy tropical forest wood) ramps that meet the exact footprint of the speakers, and featuring a 10% inclination plane so as to raise the front of the speakers 1 inch relative to its back.

The suggestion came from Bob Ziegler (thanks Bob!), as an alternative to speaker stands (these ramps are lying on top of an 18" high, 6' long, 16" wide furniture-table.

I'm currently using the ramps with my existing JVC speakers (which are smaller than the DM945's) and the concept works just fine (adjusting for the different speakers' height, of course).

The idea is to have both woofer and tweeter sounds come at your ear level, and not reflecting that much from the floor.  It is also a more practical solution (from a decor point of view) than having speaker stands well into the listening room.

The ramps feature 2 inches on the high end and 1 inch on the other end, and are nicely polished and varnished in black.  They look great!  I just thought I would share the tip with other DM945 owners out there.   Smiley

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
markv

Re: Tilting-up the DM945's
Reply #1 - 07/12/12 at 02:44:33

Fireblade - So you've had the Mini-Torii and DM945 for awhile now.  Could you please give us a review of the speakers - how the bass response is with and without a sub.  Also, I'd like to see a picture of your speaker ramps if possible.

Thanks  

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 07/12/12 at 17:44:00

markv,

This is still an on-going process, where I'm trying to find the optimal setup given my existing physical listening conditions.  One of the added variables is the wide difference in recorded source quality.  I could honestly say, though, that right now, in general, everything I play in my system sounds great.

Bass (and all frequencies in general) is tricky when you don't have a symmetrical back wall working with the speakers.  For example, my left channel is against a hallway, and not close to a corner.  The right channel has a perpendicular back wall and therefore I find myself increasing the volume on my left channel to compensate. This adjustment helps all frequency ranges.

The bass in the DM945's is good, but not too deep.  I think the SUB is required for frequencies lower than 60 Hz or so.  I also had to replace the ramps, initially on top of a common furniture table, with monitor stands, so I could bring the speakers more into the listening room.  The difference, as I reported earlier, is very significant, both in bass quality as well as soundstage and an airy presentation.  The DM945's need enough space around them to work their magic.

The ramps should work well with enough distance from adjacent walls and de-coupled from the amp and dac (both conditions physically impossible to satisfy in my case).  In particular, removing the speakers from the common furniture table eliminated damaging vibrations through amp and dac.

Regarding the ramps, I don't have pictures nor would I know how to upload them in this forum, but these are pretty simple:  

9" wide x 10" deep, with heights of 2" on one end and 1" on the opposite end.  This particular slope works well with my target sweetspot and the 18" height on my furniture table.  The slope may increase or decrease according to your sweetspot's distance from the ramps.  The idea is to have an imaginary straight line going from the tweeters to your ears as you sit in the sweetspot.

Now that I'm using the stands, I would strongly recommend these as a first option.  The ramps are great if you cannot bring the speakers into the listening room (as was my case until I decided to physically set the stands and speakers at every listening session), and there's plenty of space around them.

I recently discovered that the ideal distance between speakers, in my case, is between 7.5 and 8 ft.  I used to have them 9 to 9.5 ft apart, but the soundstage was not as good.

There, that's about all I have learned from the DM945's so far, but all this time I've had one hell of a good time listening to gorgeous music, which seems to improve gradually all  the time   Smiley  There are more avenues pending, mind you, already considered to further fine-tune the gear, this is only sort of the first stage.

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
markv

Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 01:23:16

Thanks for the update Fireblade

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 15:45:11

Glad you are enjoying everything so deeply FB!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #5 - 07/14/12 at 16:01:25

Thanks, Lon.  I'm sure enjoying every minute of it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/14/12 at 16:17:28

That's what we were hoping for! Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print