05/04/24 at 07:28:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB new power cord (Read 682 times)
roggae
Seasoned Member

WTB new power cord
03/10/12 at 14:47:04

But I'm unsure where to start. Do I really need to spend $150-$300 to get a quality power cord?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: WTB new power cord
Reply #1 - 03/10/12 at 16:10:56

Well, the Decware cords are a great deal for the money, in my opinion. It's not subtle the difference they bring to to the table, and the improvements keep bringing results when other changes are made to power conditioning, isolation etc.

I was a skeptic some years back but I have come to really believe in the benefits of a great power cord.

My Audio Cables (MAC) actually makes the Decware cords. You can purchase their cords on audiogon auctions very reasonably. For example right now:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/search2.pl?seller&Pcwizard

So I would say the answer is "No, you don't have to pay so much."

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/12 at 18:01:36

Thanks Lon. I've always seen reasonable prices on that MAC gear. Any thoughts on isolation transformers?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/10/12 at 18:53:30

I use isolation transformers in my second system, the Tripplite model that Steve recommended. I moved to them after a PS Audio P300 quit on me and used them in the main system for years, and then replaced them with a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. The Power Plant Premier REALLY dealt with my power problems. The isolation transformers helped to. I personally would recommend saving money towards a power regeneration component like the PS Audio. . . . I think it makes a larger improvement.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/12 at 23:54:22

I ended up buying the trip lite. It's all hooked up now. What should I expect? Should I plug surge protectors into the isolation transformer?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/20/12 at 23:57:30

I would just plug your components directly in . . . how is that sounding?

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/12 at 00:04:32

It seems like its sounding better. Better resolution and maybe a bit more weight but I really don't know. What am I supposed to notice?

IP Logged
roggae
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/21/12 at 00:11:05

If I am already using this: http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=208 with my squeezebox is the isolation tx overkill? I might just plug that into the wall and use the open slot for my DAC. Thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/21/12 at 00:12:13

That sounds like what you would notice!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/21/12 at 01:50:39

roggae wrote on 03/21/12 at 00:11:05:
If I am already using this: http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=208 with my squeezebox is the isolation tx overkill? I might just plug that into the wall and use the open slot for my DAC. Thoughts?

I'd try both ways and keep the way that sounds best.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print