Back to the future! (Read 5512 times)
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Back to the future!
03/08/12 at 21:05:54

Having been around the Decware forums &c. since '02, and having owned a Zen Select & ZCD. I've always been intrigued by the original Se34I.
I've just purchased one from these classifieds, and wondered who else (still) has one, and what their impressions might be ? Looking forward to it's arrival!
Best
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Back to the future!
Reply #1 - 03/09/12 at 01:59:08

Congrats on the score Don! I too have been intrigued with that amp since it was introduced. You'll have to share your imressions (I know you will).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 03/09/12 at 02:34:12

Thanks, Lon. I hope it includes a manual, as there looks to be quite a few optional configurations!
Although I think a Torii is in my future, I've always wanted to try one of these!
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/09/12 at 12:22:37

I have it. Had Steve/Dennis do the Hazen grid mod and it is what is known as a "Rachel" all 4 channels wired in Zen triode. This is an amp I am likely to have for the rest of my life it is the most powerful sounding 7 WPC and the tone and soundstage is unmatched. By the looks of it the new SE34I.3 in in strapped mono config should be at least as good or better. Lot more money for 2 amps though. ZYGI agrees that it is a great sounding amp. If yours is not a "rachel" get that done to it. Oh also forgot to say I run a 6BS8 on the center preamp tube and stock 6N1P as the drivers. The 6BS8 has minuscule plate structure and has a really nice way  of doing the fine detail. Very good sound stage and imaging. I also strap the power in parallel and usually run the three bias switches hard for more bass.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 03/09/12 at 16:35:49

Thanks, Chris: This is the kind of info that is really helpful.
It has had the "Hazen grid mod" recently.
The flexibility is what has always been intriguing.
My Select was a fantastic amp. Looking forward to this one!
Best
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/09/12 at 18:41:43

Glad to help Don.
Reminder once again my amp also is a "Rachel" where all the power channels are wired the same. The original config. was I believe Zen triode on the outside set of power tubes and what was termed "british" signature triode on the inside pair. Or I may be wrong and it is reversed. The only way to know is to find the web page on the original SE34I or Steve would know. Dennis Hazen (as in Hazen grid mod) Decware amp builder extraordinaire, made his SE34I power circuits all the same and that was all four in Zen triode If I recall correctly. That amp became singularly known as "Rachel". I can't testify as to what this entails electrically but you could do it if you knew which set of power tubes were in Zen triode. Only reason I reiterate this is because I believe it makes a difference in sound if you bridge the left and right channel power tube and the dissimilar circuit is still in place. "Rachels"are very special versions of these amp and AFAIC are the only way to go with this 1st generation Decware Integrated. Running it with only one power tube set (either inside or outside) is the absolute in imaging I have ever heard.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #6 - 03/09/12 at 19:42:36

Thanks again, I'll be checking this out.
I've not heard, or overlooked the "Rachel" nomenclature, (maybe a seniors thing on my part!!)
Best
Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print