Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 09:04:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newb zkit1, speakers & TT questions (Read 545 times)
MattG
Verified Member

newb zkit1, speakers & TT questions
02/25/12 at 05:24:25

Hi,
I'd like to "get back into vinyl"without breaking the bank and had been researching components when I came across the ZKit1. I like DIY projects, esp as a way to save $, and that amp looks sweet, even on a plank of wood!
Here's my 1st issue - I've been reading about the "ideal speakers" and the speakers I have, which I used for years with a nice Krell SS integrated amp and enjoyed their performance, have 6.5" Vifa drivers rated at 88dB. The 1" tweeters are scanspeak d2905 rated 90dB (at "2.83V/1m" not sure how to translate that to 1W/1m.) Anyhoo, it seems my speakers are just outside the optimum sensitivity for the 2W/ch stereo zen amp. I would like to have the option to crank things up in the man cave, not just "late night listening" levels. Then I see the note about bridging the amp for 6W mono. I did a quick search for higher efficiency replacement 6.5" drivers and it looks like it would cost more than just buying a 2nd zkit1 and going with 2 'mono blocks'.
So my question is - would I be "missing something" by not going with 'better' speakers, as opposed to running 2 amps mono for more oomph??

Since I want to use a turntable, I was reading up on phono stages and the RIAA curve. The specs for the se84 mention it wants an input voltage of 2V for max output. Can the zkit4 be used to get the phono signal up to 2V, then maybe I can 'add on' a RIAA eq network somehow?
[Or maybe I just get a TT with a built in phono stage!  ::) ]

Finally I was trying to envision how you hook up 2 mono blocks using a source with rca outs -- do you use those Y splitters and say split the red rca out, and send 1 split to the red input on 1st amp, and the other split to the red input on the 2nd amp, and then do the same for the white rca out?? Or do both splits from the red out go to red and white on 1st amp, and both white splits go to the 2nd amp? Does that even make sense?!

As usual, I'm probably over-thinking some of these things  :P

Anyway, I've pored over this forum for a couple days now trying to glean what I can, I'd sure appreciate you folks weighing in on some of these items!

Thanks
Matt

IP Logged
MattG
Verified Member

Re: newb zkit1, speakers & TT questions
Reply #1 - 02/27/12 at 15:49:17

Hi again...I probably asked about too many different things at once, I get down too far in the weeds sometimes!

Let me focus on my 1st step - my most important question is this: Is there a sonic difference b/w running less efficient speakers (88dB) with more power (bridged se84) and running more efficient speakers (say 94-95dB) with less power (non-bridged se84) other than the volume levels achievable??

Thanks!
-Matt

IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/12 at 16:58:31

Hi Lon,

I jumped on that deal this morning. Thanks for the heads up! It will be interesting to hear that cord in my system. Right now, I'm running my Decware power cord from the wall to my VansEvers Clean Line conditioner and a stock cord to the Torii.

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/27/12 at 17:36:02

Hey Chris, glad you got a part of the deal, that's why I posted. Smiley I think you'll be happy with what the cord does to the Torii!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 02/28/12 at 02:28:44

MattG

I would say no difference, less sensitivity + more power = more sensitivity + less power.  I would recomend getting one Zkit 1 and getting it running.  See how loud it gets.  You can then try one channel at 6w bridging both channels of the Zkit1 to see if thats going to do the trick or not.  If it looks promissing then get another Zkit1.

To jumper for mono, just run the input to both channels.  I'd just solder a wire on the PCB, but you could use a RCA "Y" cord.  You bridge both channels of an amp, not 1 channel from each amp.

Dan

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #5 - 02/28/12 at 12:14:58

MattG

Sent you a PM (personal message)

DanK

IP Logged
MattG
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/29/12 at 16:55:51

DanK - I haven't reached the minimum # of posts to PM you back.
Thanks for your responses and offer! I'll have to pass on the Sherwood - part of the allure of this "project" is the chance to build & tinker!  :)
However, I am interested in hearing how you (or others!) have goosed up the power of the zkit1 -- did you change to a different output tube??
I've messed with guitar amps that use a single EL84 and they put out ~5W, so I was a bit surprised the se84 only puts out 2W...I was going to compare some schematics, see if it's a matter of plate voltage??
Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #7 - 02/29/12 at 23:57:19

My work has been with something called "boosted triode mode".  You can google it.  It adds a power supply to boost the screen voltage to 100 v more than the plate.  Interesting concept, but probably not for the faint of heart.  I can burn up an output tube with a flick of the wrist.  Luckily 6P15P's (the output tube that does best in this amp) are cheep.  Sure sounds good when everything is running right.

DanK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print