05/07/24 at 21:51:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wow- What happened? (Read 5953 times)
MichaelHiFi
Ex Member

Wow- What happened?
02/19/12 at 03:13:00

I'm at a loss on this one. Still in audio shock.

Just got back from a visit with Morgan, a fellow Torii owner. We played with our Torii's at his place this afternoon doing some comparisons and wanting to know if that strange deal with bass is purely an interaction with my speakers.

We got to roll some tubes, listen to his new speakers, check out his Eastern Electric DAC against the Oppo BDP95 and generally have a great time. A lot was learned. I had to laugh on the way home because I never really pushed my bass control to see if the distortion was present in his system. What a dumb ass I am. Regardless, my Torii sounded great so I figured all is well. Maybe it was.

I got home home, changed the rectifier tubes a we noted the ones in my Torii weren't the greatest and I had better.

I turned it on and went into the kitchen while it warmed up.

It warmed up alright.

Noting a terrible smell and walked back into the room.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get an image into this site. The left main transformer burned. The white base around this transformer is now yellow.  :-[  :'(

[img][/img]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Wow- What happened?
Reply #1 - 02/19/12 at 09:35:02

Terrible news! Sorry to hear this. Just when you were about to embark on more happy, better listening. . . . .

I know Steve can fix it. I hope that your new one is in the pipeline and on its way to you soon. So sorry this happened.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/12 at 13:30:25

You have every right to be distraught. Get it fixed and move on.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
MichaelHiFi
Ex Member

Re: Wow - What happened?
Reply #3 - 02/19/12 at 15:59:34

We've had a strange run of bad luck with audio gear. I sold my Pass Labs amp which worked perfectly to a gentleman whom I met halfway on the delivery, about a 200 mile trip. He turned it on and the transformer had a hum. Pass ended up replacing the transformer and half the parts just to be sure! That set us back some cash and Pass only charged labor to fix!

I don't know what to do. Music is my destress mechanism.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/19/12 at 16:02:38

My humble advice is to learn what caused the TORII to melt down and do whatever it takes to prevent that from happening again.

Perhaps you have offended the Gods of Audio and they are visiting divine audio retribution against you. Probably not. Just an unlucky cluster of events that will not repeat.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
MichaelHiFi
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/19/12 at 16:41:04

It didn't survive the trip to Morgans house even though it was wrapped in a comfy blanket. Yikes.

We will perform a seance tonight in our audio room and have a chat with the spirits. I need to get to the bottom of this! Maybe it was due to not having our 6.83 Hz signal turned on?

The house still smells badly of burnt electronics. I had moved the Torii to the garage. That was dumb too. The furnace is in the garage. The return air picked up the smell of the burnt Torii and distributed it's smell throughout the house all night long.

Sucks.  :'(

IP Logged
MichaelHiFi
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/08/12 at 21:15:59

After a painfully long wait, the Torii had returned, a little worse for wear.

With the V-Cap upgrade, we've waited for the caps to settle in. Some days it's OK, some days it's good, and some days it's spectacular. We are at ~222 hour point.

My 2 year old discovered tube rolling - only in a different form that we audiophiles perceive it. So I replaced the broken 6922 with the 7DJ8's.

This change was anything but subtle. Wholly Gosh (never used that word) talk about different. Transparent, detailed, seeing deep into the recording with great clarity. I had to crank up the bass because that was largely stripped. And I have Super V's with 4 servo controlled subs powered by separate amplification!

It will take a few days to know whether I really can live with this sound, as interesting as it is sometimes changes like this are too much of a good thing. There is a bit of hardness or sibilance at the very top. But that could be an artifact of these darn V-Caps pulling their Cybil act. I'm using the Shuguang Treasures in place of the JJ's. We were really groovin with the Shuguangs. I'm sure more tube rolling is in order. Just wanted to comment on the 7DJ8's from Cyroset.

Also have a SF Bay Area gathering at my home in the south bay. Many folks will be coming to hear the Super V's. Should be interesting and great fun. desalvo55@gmail.com if interested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print