Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 07:34:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got a used se84cs Need Help (Read 7358 times)
trench
Verified Member

Just got a used se84cs Need Help
02/18/12 at 16:07:39

Hello I have been looking at these amps for three years now and I finaly got a chance to buy a used one. The seller said it was 8 years old and all the tubes tested fine.
I some issues with it that I do not know how to find out.
1- there is no s# that I can find.
2- I looked inside it it has em406 output transformers and I seen the resistors that were gold with fins on them.
3- I have some fuzzy sound coming and going in both speakers I have cleaned the volume pot, the bias switch and the tube sockets but it is still there. It is kind of anoying. could this been old tubes.
4- I tried using the front input for my pre amp and the back input for my cd player but when I have both hooked up I don't get volume from the rear input.

If somebody could help me I would be very happy thank you.

Decware SE84CS,PS Audio 4.6/m500,Audio Nirvana supercast 10/mkII 2.8, Nad 515bee
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Just got a used se84cs Need Help
Reply #1 - 02/18/12 at 16:11:13

Essentially these are 1 input amplifiers. One input is governed by the volume control and the other bypasses it somewhat. You can only really have one source connected to the amp at a time.

Serial numbers were usually applied to a sticker on the bottom of the amps. If there's no sticker, it will be hard to decipher a serial number. Steve may be able to help.

The "fuzzy" sound could well be tube-related. If it's coming and going, that's more likely an input tube than power tubes in my experience, but it could be either that, more rarely it could be the rectifier tube. I'd try a different input tube first.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
trench
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/12 at 16:16:48

Thank you for the quick reply. I think i might re-tube it and see what happens.

Decware SE84CS,PS Audio 4.6/m500,Audio Nirvana supercast 10/mkII 2.8, Nad 515bee
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/18/12 at 16:59:00

I would send it back up to DECWARE for a complete look-see. It would receive the vaunted "Hazen Grid Modification" was well as be subjected to bench testing and replacement of anything that proves to be out of spec. You would receive an amp that would perform as a new one.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
trench
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/12 at 20:49:31

I was thinking of that would you know what the cost is hourly or do they do that. What is the hazen mod.
I just got this amp yesterday, it seems to be sounding a little better, would a used amp that has sat around for while need to be burned in again?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 21:32:27

Yes, an amp that sat around a while would "burn in" a bit.

I don't know what Steve would charge to do that. .. but an email to Sarah or a call to Steve or Sarah would likely get that info fast.

The "Hazen Grid" modification (a.k.a. the "Christmas Comes Early Mod") is a modification to the wiring for the SV83 and EL34 tubes that adds focus and clarity to the sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/18/12 at 22:13:49

The DECWARE charges are very reasonable for anything that they do. My first piece of DECWARE equipment was purchased used and sent up there for repair, updating and testing. They are NOT like a TV/VCR repair place that charges $80.00 to look at your piece and furnish an estimate then quotes you ridiculous sums of money for parts and repair.

The Hazen modification is a small thing that increases the 3-D holographic imaging of the amp by connecting some other parts of the tube not used in the original design.

There is a service/repair form on the site that it the place to start. You will receive a call when they have it on the bench. Do it; don't look back. It will be well worth it.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Scotty
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 02/22/12 at 21:01:06

This site has a copy of the manual. Not sure why, but there it is.

http://ebookbrowse.com/select-ownersmanual-pdf-d305489069

Agree with Lon--swap out the input tube. I've had similar issues with a bad one.

Agree with Riverranch: If you can afford it, send it in for a checkup, Hazen mod optional as that adds around $90 last time I checked.

Good luck!

DEC-685 CDP
Denon DP-30L II TT
DL-160 Cart
Black Cube
DSR ICs
MAC Soundpipes SCs
SE-84C
Vaughn Audio Carina
RL-3s
  IP Logged
Pages: 1