Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 09:08:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone experiment with cables for video? (Read 5453 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Anyone experiment with cables for video?
01/21/12 at 17:15:33

I know there are those who think cabling really doesn't make much of difference if any in audio. Fewer still seem to consider they make any difference in video from my readings in the web. But. . . my personal experience is that they can and do make a difference. And in the case of video, it's a VISIBLE difference, which leaves less to the "imagination" or fewer claims of placebo "effect." (Well maybe, people who believe it is all placebo seem to hold with that mindset).

I've been using pretty good cables for the video aspect of my system. I started out with a "no frills" version of an Audioquest HDMI cable, silver plated copper, and it really was a step up from a plain jane HDMI cable. I was very happy with this cable, but when I bought my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC and Transport the dealer was blowing out top of the line PS Audio HDMI cables and I bought one to try in place of that Audioquest (the conductors are all silver). WOW. I am under the impression that it took some time (really a month or more) to fully break-in, but when it did, wow, just amazing picture from DVD and Blu-ray. Vibrant, detailed, very watchable. Smiley

Shortly after I got cable the HDMI went out on my DVR unit, and I had to use component video cables to connect to the TV. I used a "no frills" Audioquest that was similar to the HDMI, silver plated copper, and it gave a really good image, detailed, vibrant, warm. Recently I saw that someone was selling top of the line Audioquest all silver component cables at literally one/nineth of their original cost on ebay and bought one. Wow. A surprising upgrade in picture quality, everything was both a bit more detailed AND a bit mellower looking. I thought this was money well spent, and not that much in "audiophile" terms.

I got to looking at that plain coaxial cable the cable company has coming out of the wall and decided to look about for an inexpensive upgrade. I found a used cable company online selling a Tara Labs "RSC Vector One" coaxial cable for thirty bucks and decided to give that a try. I was really surprised at the improvement that made to the TV picture. I had to totally readjust my settings several times over the first week as it broke-in I guess, but right now I have a broadcast tv picture that I just marvel at. In a way it makes sense, as this length of wire from the wall to the DVR should be an important link in the digital chain. I just wish I'd thought to replace that length of cable much earlier. I thought I had a really good tv before (40" Sony LED that cost about 1200 bucks) but now it's as if I spent more on the top of the line model in this series. HDTV is even more three dimensional now. And I believe that the audio (I use a glass Toslink digital cable to route the audio to my DAC) is improved a bit as well. Very happy!

Ever since I bought the tv, and with its predecessor as well, I've been using the best power cables I can afford on the
tv as I believe that is a contributing factor. Right now I'm using a PS Audio xStream Premier SC that I got a great deal on used, and it really is doing its part to deliver this great image to my eyes.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't experimented with cabling for video to give it a shot if they believe in cabling and have fun trying cables. And if anyone has done some experimenting I'd love to read of their experiences.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Anyone experiment with cables for video?
Reply #1 - 01/27/12 at 16:06:44

Guess no one does experiment with video cables!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/12 at 15:06:05

Heh, I don't experiment, I just read what you do. Wink On the video side, I have found my image less sensitive to the quality of the signal cable (HDMI) so long as it is fairly short, than it is to the quality of the power.

I have a Panny Viera GT30 65 inch plasma, and its blacks are very good. They are even better with the proper power cables and power source like the Power Plant Premier. The Oppo BDP-95 has a separate video-processor-output only that makes a big difference in the quality of the picture, more than I can detect from swapping cables.

The newer Viera is almost broken in enough for me to call the guy out who calibrated my other Panny. I highly recommend the services of a trained and experienced video calibrator. Night and day difference. I paid about $350-400 for several hours of work, and the improvement was significant. Though I agree that cables can make a difference, on the video side, the professional calibration had a much bigger ROI for me. the AVS Forum has a running thread on recommended calibrators. I think I posted the link here somewhere to the guy I used.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 02/06/12 at 19:10:09

Great, now thanks to you two, I am considering upgrading my HDMI's from DVR & my BlueRay Player to TV + calibration.  ;D

I bought a 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron LED LCD HDTV last June. It adds a thread of yellow. Anyway, the picture has a more organic view to it. More real. Not marketing BS, it is sweet.

Get this, try a 3D BlueRay Player with a standard DVD through HDMI of course..... . I have no interest in 3D. However, through a 3D Player I find the picture richer and more life like. Must be the chip?

Any of you ever see the Pioneer Kuro when it was out. You want to talk about blacks and depth......holy cow..... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/06/12 at 19:29:59

Stone wrote:
Quote:
Great, now thanks to you two, I am considering upgrading my HDMI's from DVR & my BlueRay Player to TV + calibration.  ;D

All too happy to oblige Stone. Wink

Yep, I have seen a Kuro. Nearly emptied my wallet for one a few years ago. Very black blacks, but the consensus seems to be from many so-called experts that the current crop of high end plasmas is competitive with that standard, and offer much more in the way of modern tech and bells & whistles.

And it seems to me that the combination of the Oppo video processor and the Panny 3D does indeed produce an excellent 2D image.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/06/12 at 20:03:19

I did have my tv calibrated when I first bought it. After including these cables I had to do some tweaking. A very apparent change! Especially the cable change from the wall to the DVR. It's totally a different image now.; I can now easily see the color palettes that produces of television shows use . ..changing from channel to channel I can see these changes as I never could before. And the audio has improved as well. I was frankly shocked when it all settled in.

I love my video system, and even more since I run its audio through the PWD. It's heaven. And I have friends who now want to come over two nights a week to watch and listen. That's the best compliment I think, and I enjoy the company.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print